Hi guys

I'm looking to get my first (used) 4x4, need something economical and not huge. I live in London so all shooting involves a good bit on the motorway before I hit any mud rides - fuel economy is pretty important.

I don't have a family yet, or any dogs, so I don't need masses of space for dog cages etc. but will need to fit a carcass tray

Thinking of getting either a Nissan Terrano or Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Any advice or suggestions welcome!

Hi guys

I'm looking to get my first (used) 4x4, need something economical and not huge. I live in London so all shooting involves a good bit on the motorway before I hit any mud rides - fuel economy is pretty important.

I don't have a family yet, or any dogs, so I don't need masses of space for dog cages etc. but will need to fit a carcass tray

get a landrover disco

Guest manda

there all pretty bad on juice mate but if you just want a smallish one go for the fourtrak 2.8tdi or a disco is quite good on fuel i have an l200 and it loves the juice :blink:

Edited by manda

i wouldnt get a vitara pal no good of road fourtraks are ok but you have to watch the 4 wheel drive geer box they tend to seize up if not used regulaly

ive got a trooper and i can get about 35-38 mpg driven sensibly and their not bad on parts either, they good of road to.

Hi guys

Important bit is how much do you want to spend on one? Cheers, D

i must disagree with the vitaras being crap offroad, as with a spring lift, body lift and decent tyres they are very good. not extreme offroad but they do very well. and if you got bit of £££ to spend theres a VW or PUG diesel engine conversion kit available, i cant knock em.

must agree with a disco though although not amazing on juice they make up for off road.

Thanks for the tips, I don't think I'll be going crazy with the extreme off-roading, but I would like to get deeper into the woods for carcass retrieval etc. Dragging a couple fallow bucks back to the tarmac can be a serious pain!

When i go off roading it always seems the discos are first to be dragged out or break down...sometimes when they are still on the road. Have you had a look at a Susuki SJ, tiny lil thing but still amazing amount of space in boot and a rag top is the nuts for lamping. I imagine its pretty good on juice as its soo light (only took 4 of out mates to pick it up put it on all fours, its not unstable its just the particular section was somewhat tricky and the confidence of youth and all that)

Any comments on a Land Rover Freelander?
ya'd be better off getting a panda 4x4 than a freelander, the transfer boxes are prone for knakering up and they dont sit very high off the ground so a hidden rock or log might result in a nice new diff or worse. Edited by gsi2000stokie