Feeding

Just wondering what peoples opinions on this are. I feed mine most days, but I like to give my ferrets at least one 'off' day a week.

I personally think it's beneficial for them, especially in the warmer months when they don't require as much energy to keep themselves warm. I've found that they waste far less food, and don't pile on so much weight, especially the hobs.

I feed them on mince when I haven't got any whole prey, rabbit/birds/etc.

Not wanting a slanging match, being called all the names under the sun for being a cruel b*****d, etc, my ferrets are in as good a condition as the next persons, probably better in some cases.

It goes without saying that they always have a good supply of fresh drinking water. ;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on whats being fed , and how many ferrets together. in the court i have 5 jills i could put a hole hare in there and not feed again for 3-4 days. although at this time of year i tend to joint such a big animal and feed more regular.

small things like squirrels evry day ;)

My three jills have food every day. A whole rabbit lasts more then one day, so I tend to replace after 2 days. Small rabbits/pigeons = one a day. If they've really gone to town by the evening and there's just a bit of skin or feathers left, they get a 2nd. If there's any left the next morning, they don't get fed till the following evening. Normally by Wednesday I've run of whatever I killed at the weekend, so use dried food to tide them over, only a little handfull in the morning and a wee bit more in the evening. I also like them to eat before I work them, so sometimes an egg too.

I don't worry if they do run out of food for a day. They are carnivores and able to go without food. An animal isn't technically starving till its used up its fat reserves...the ferrets probably won't mind if it doesn't have food ~ it'll just sleep a bit more and live of its fat.

They are carnivores and able to go without food. An animal isn't technically starving till its used up its fat reserves...the ferrets probably won't mind if it doesn't have food ~ it'll just sleep a bit more and live of its fat.

That's the way I look at it! :thumbs:

Guest gaz100604
They are carnivores and able to go without food. An animal isn't technically starving till its used up its fat reserves...the ferrets probably won't mind if it doesn't have food ~ it'll just sleep a bit more and live of its fat.

me too...

every other day on dry food at this time of year...

rabbit and dry food during the season....

think a slightly hungry ferret will work better in the field...

always keep the water topped up every day ;)

Silly question mate "Do you get fed every other day in the summer??" Less yes but every day surly?.

I tend to put in whole rabbits and if they haven't eaten it all leave it for another day with pigeons i just put one or two less in and remove everything thats left after two days . but that all chages in the hotter month's i dump all the remain's daily and fed less if there not cleaning it up

interesting question! i've been feeding mine dry everyday if i haven't got any squdgies, rabbits or birds but they make hell of a mess in the cage tipping the bowl and i've been thinking of missing a day now and again so there won't be so much wasted all over the cage.

interesting question! i've been feeding mine dry everyday if i haven't got any squdgies, rabbits or birds but they make hell of a mess in the cage tipping the bowl and i've been thinking of missing a day now and again so there won't be so much wasted all over the cage.

I tried dry a couple of years ago mine did the same tipped the bowl and it was all over the floor of the cage i left it thinking they would clear it up it was still lying on the cage floor when i weakened and put a rabbit in .i threw a handfull a day of that dry grub over the back garden and let the dogs search about for it till it was finished

You need to tailor it to the ferret.

In a court you have less chance of seeing to this as the dominant animal will always hogg the food.

Seperate cages, and limited amounts daily work for me, and during the season as they are always on form. No fly's or maggots, and no knacker ferrets either!

Courts are great if you have a few animals, but get around 10 WORKING animals, and it just does not work!

They are all different, knowing your animals is the key.

You need to tailor it to the ferret.

In a court you have less chance of seeing to this as the dominant animal will always hogg the food.

Seperate cages, and limited amounts daily work for me, and during the season as they are always on form. No fly's or maggots, and no knacker ferrets either!

Courts are great if you have a few animals, but get around 10 WORKING animals, and it just does not work!

They are all different, knowing your animals is the key.

Totally agree about the larger numbers in a court you simply cant watch them 24/7 to see who gets what . i always split litters up in pairs & feed in pairs that way you know who is getting what

My own personal regime is to feed in the cage at night, never in the court. They only get water in the court.

They get fed dry every day, but sometime only a very little. I aim to put fresh meat in the cage at least 3-4 times a week. The hobs eat a back leg each in one go, the girls get a carcass to share(minus legs), which can last 2 days. In summer I change to feed only enough that i know will get eaten overnight, plus a little dry. But my cages are in a shed, so meat is fed at nightin the dark, and I have a UV lighted trap on all the time, so flys are seldom a problem.