Feeding

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to tailor it to the ferret.

In a court you have less chance of seeing to this as the dominant animal will always hogg the food.

Seperate cages, and limited amounts daily work for me, and during the season as they are always on form. No fly's or maggots, and no knacker ferrets either!

Courts are great if you have a few animals, but get around 10 WORKING animals, and it just does not work!

They are all different, knowing your animals is the key.

Good points Brimmer, I feed my 4 ferts daily but sometimes "starve" my lurchers and terrier for the day. Cheers, D.

Guest MickyB
:) Mine get fresh rabbit/vermin/game ... they have a constant supply of feed and water. in summer i chop carcasses in half with a machette and replace daily, to avoid maggots. And in winter they can take their time over the whole carcass. Always works well for me.

Got 10 ferrets in a big court ALLWAYS feed together in the evening and every day a whole rabbit in the summer or 2 or 3 pigeons which normally all gets eaten if any left in morning its taken out and thrown away

If we are feeding dry food biggish bowl and same again remove it in the morning

Never get any probs with ferrets fighting over food they are all roughly the same size and weight and are all healthy and work well

And of course the water bottles are changed and refilled twice a day

although they live in a big court with an aviery in the summer whilst not being worked my daughter normally gets them all out

weather permitting every day and lets them av a run round on the patio which is walled in and she puts a big board across the side thats not

and sits in there with them for a good hour most days it keeps em fit and very very tame

This system works for us and would never change it

Got 10 ferrets in a big court ALLWAYS feed together in the evening and every day a whole rabbit in the summer or 2 or 3 pigeons which normally all gets eaten if any left in morning its taken out and thrown away

If we are feeding dry food biggish bowl and same again remove it in the morning

Never get any probs with ferrets fighting over food they are all roughly the same size and weight and are all healthy and work well

And of course the water bottles are changed and refilled twice a day

although they live in a big court with an aviery in the summer whilst not being worked my daughter normally gets them all out

weather permitting every day and lets them av a run round on the patio which is walled in and she puts a big board across the side thats not

and sits in there with them for a good hour most days it keeps em fit and very very tame

This system works for us and would never change it

I lean towards the taylor the size of the meal the there appitite, if they eat less, cut back, if they gobble it down quick, then bigger portions are needed, feed my ferrets every day, gives them some thing to look forward to in the Summer when they cant get out to work. :)

Silly question mate "Do you get fed every other day in the summer??" Less yes but every day surly?.

I'm not a ferret, or even an obligate carnivore for that matter! :laugh: I don't feed every other day, but I do feed 5/6 days out of 7. :thumbs:

I don't worry if they do run out of food for a day. They are carnivores and able to go without food. An animal isn't technically starving till its used up its fat reserves...the ferrets probably won't mind if it doesn't have food ~ it'll just sleep a bit more and live of its fat.

But unlike other carnivores, they are prone to stomach ulcers which is why I feed mine a bit of raw meat every day and make sure biscuits are available 24/7.

Edited by Funfuret

My ferrets aren't working (yet) but I feed them everyday, multiple times a day. Normally I'll feed one "solid" meal of bone in rabbit or chicken and the other meal is "soup". Beef, turkey or deer mince with a bit of liver mixed in and some water added.. I also feed mice about once a week.

My ferrets aren't working (yet) but I feed them everyday, multiple times a day. Normally I'll feed one "solid" meal of bone in rabbit or chicken and the other meal is "soup". Beef, turkey or deer mince with a bit of liver mixed in and some water added.. I also feed mice about once a week.

:clapper: They are fed better than me lol any room for a lodger :D

i feed mine five days a week thought the winter (missing the odd day) then when it come to the summer months every other day on dry food.

the odd bit what i shoot goes in aswell to keep them on the ball (blood thirsty)

all the best Liam

i dont feed my two jills every day i just put in a bowl of dry food and refill it when its empty sometimes that can be a day and sometimes up to 4-5 days they eat when they want to eat and they never get fat and they never store food in their bedding

Yeah, sure.. I think I've got around a dozen mice left in the freezer, plus about 50 pounds of minced meat. And a whole deer carcass, come on over!

Yeah, sure.. I think I've got around a dozen mice left in the freezer, plus about 50 pounds of minced meat. And a whole deer carcass, come on over!

Put a picture up of that Tessa ( PitbullXbeagle)interesting X,please.