Frank Buck lines-Alive or not???

See a lot of lads with terriers in their kennels that have descended from big names either directly or through their own breeding over the years. The most popular is Nuttalls/Park/Stevens/Wheeler & Gould.

Frank Buck bred dogs are rarely mentioned. Are there many lads keeping this line and what is their thoughts on the breed?

Thanks

Tassa

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i think dingle from this forum works buck lines mate

Yeah, there was a good article on Frank Buck in EDRD and the work he done with his terriers and pack of hounds. Incredible some of the stories of the control he had over his hounds and some of the memorable hunts he had.

ive heard good and funny storys about this man from another well known terrier man, he sounded like a good character of a man with very good dogs around him and his friend ship with breay, would be nice to hear more about him

Guest rodsmith

as im sure johno darcy will no.john parks took on the lines from frank buck AND cyril braey.a true line of the proper working fell/lakeland type of terrier.one which he too has spent his life,dare i say improvine but making it stronger as time goes on.hence a line of working/proven line that will take some beating!!

Did Frank Buck's son Max, keep terriers from his dads old dogs ?

Is Max still alive ?

Think Nuttall used Buck,Breay dogs over his bitch's as did a few back then.

YES BRIAN HAS MANY YEARS AGO,USED THE DOG FRANK'S HOLDING ''BLACK DAVEY'' IN HIS OWN LINE ,+OTHERS THAT MR BUCK AND MR BREAY BRED, AT THAT TIME ,IT WAS A DONE THING TOO BREED FROM THE BEST,AROUND, AND THERE WAS A FEW GOOD DOGS TOO CHOOSE FROM ,TO SUIT YOUR INDIVIDUEL NEEDS,

BUT ALAS.THE LACK OF PEOPLE WORKIN THE DOGS,NOW,CHOOSING THE ROSETT,AS THERE TROPHEY,HAS GIVEN RISE TO THE AMOUNT OF SHITE THAT IS OUT THERE,IN EVERY LINE,

AND I WOULD HAVE TOO AGREE WITH ''C DIDRICKSON' IN HIS LITTLE BOOK, ONCE THE INDIVIDUEL DOG ''USED IE: SMITHY''EXAMPLE ONLY, DONT JUMP DOWN ME THROAT,

HAS BIN USED IN MAKE UP OF A LINE, UNLESS YOU BREED BACK CLOSE ,WITHIN ''5 GENERATIONS '' THAT INDIVIDUEL DOG HAS BIN BRED OUT OF IT,

SO WORD TOO THE WISE BEAWEARE FOR THE UNSCUPULESS DOG SELLERS OUT THERE,SELLIN OUT OF DOGS 20/30 YEARS,PAST AS IF IT WAS IN THE LINE YESTERDAY

YOURS IN SPORT

sooty92

NT

i went to get a terrier off frank years ago he was good crack and my step father took me to franks house and when they both got talking they new everybody down yorkshire way.he hated people calling the black dogs patterdales he said they were lakelands then went on to tell me how the dogs were bred and what he had in and the digs he has had.i could of sat there all day.but like you say nobody mentions his breeding no more

i went to get a terrier off frank years ago he was good crack and my step father took me to franks house and when they both got talking they new everybody down yorkshire way.he hated people calling the black dogs patterdales he said they were lakelands then went on to tell me how the dogs were bred and what he had in and the digs he has had.i could of sat there all day.but like you say nobody mentions his breeding no more

from what ive read in books about him he was a ledgendary terrier man, your a lucky man to have actually met him and had heard his stories first hand

Sooty 92, what you say is very true. But surely there has to be someone out there who at the time was lucky enough to have got a pup of this man and decided after a few years that the dog was a good un therefore taking a litter of pups out of a good bitch and kept this line going.

Thought it was very interesting that he was dead against putting any bull into the breeding.

Greatest Terrier man ever, is how Frank Buck has been described and probably so.

I last seen Frank about 86/87 :hmm: at Great Yorkshire, said hello and the pleasantries, nice bloke, genuine.

We didn't get chance for much of a chat as his class came up, it's worth note that the terriers he was exibiting were of a very different stamp (though black still) than the stuff he bred back in the day with Breay, to which Nuttall, Parks and others subsiquently bred from. A type that raised more than a cocked eybrow from onlookers there ;)

ive heard good and funny storys about this man from another well known terrier man, he sounded like a good character of a man with very good dogs around him and his friend ship with breay, would be nice to hear more about him
ive heard little bits from that article on frank and it was very intresting to read, thanks dog fox Edited by owen