Artificial Fox Earths.

make them as long as you possibly can, can put 1/2/or even 3 beds in them, wrap every joint with plastic to keep rain out,if you wantpoint all joints with cement as rabbits dig in and f**k them. bend them too make sure entrance is not in a direct path of wind. in the bed put one block edge on in the middle as stops wind rattling strait through and then the dog goes round the bed as some dogs if keen can go strait through the pipes and nearly miss something in the bed. key is not to make beds too big,like i said a 3 by 2 slab floor a block and a brick high right round and same slab for the roof.. if put in well they will hold after a good summer on them.

Only problem I can see with using pipes, instead of slabs, is that when you dig down, its a nightmare trying to get at the dog and quarry ....as you will know with artificials, they are often dug mid-pipe.....never have that problem with a stone-built one.

I don't think these would be legal these days boys and not worth talking about on here know what i mean :wallbash:

Totally legal Para1...... and if anything its a good thing to make them- in areas where there are no or few natural earths,- as like ive said, one of mine gets used most years to rear cubs in, as there are no other holes for miles around.

looks like im gonna have to rebuild mine in the summer its behind my house on the side of the railway banking but its not deep enough. how long would you make the tubes before you put a kink in them? if its a two holers does it have to have a chamber or can you just run it to a stop end?

Playing Devil's Advocate here.

Why would you want to build artificial earths as part of a pest control program?

If you're interested in sporting purposes, or conservation, sure but pest control? :hmm:

Surely if you're trying to eradicate a pest species you need to remove their harbourage? :hmm:

For the record, I have nothing against artificial earths but I don't see how it's relevant to a long term pest control program. Maybe this would be better suited to the terrierwork forum or the game keeping section?

Why would you want to build artificial earths as part of a pest control program?

If you're interested in sporting purposes, or conservation, sure but pest control? :hmm:

Surely if you're trying to eradicate a pest species you need to remove their harbourage? :hmm:

For the record, I have nothing against artificial earths but I don't see how it's relevant to a long term pest control program. Maybe this would be better suited to the terrierwork forum or the game keeping section?

well Chris, i will pick up that gauntlet if you allow.

Artificials are of great use in many places as they are a known place for foxes to lay up in the daytime. If you know where the fox is then it can be bolted to gun, or into a net to be humanely despatched from point blank range. If there was no artificial you wouldnt be able to do this.

No one puts artificials in for anything other than pest control. They are easy to work and so its a quick dog in/fox out scenario. You know where the tube lays so no uncertainty of how deep orr where it will run. Also they are mostly shallow so should a terrierman wish to reach his dog quickly then it is very very simple to do this.

If you had a patch of land with absolutely no natural holes on it then an artificial, well sited and dry, would assist dramatically in the reduction of fox numbers on that land.

They are one of the most humane and clinically lethal ways of culling foxes with the absolute minimum of distress for quarry .

well Chris, i will pick up that gauntlet if you allow.

Artificials are of great use in many places as they are a known place for foxes to lay up in the daytime. If you know where the fox is then it can be bolted to gun, or into a net to be humanely despatched from point blank range. If there was no artificial you wouldnt be able to do this.

No one puts artificials in for anything other than pest control. They are easy to work and so its a quick dog in/fox out scenario. You know where the tube lays so no uncertainty of how deep orr where it will run. Also they are mostly shallow so should a terrierman wish to reach his dog quickly then it is very very simple to do this.

If you had a patch of land with absolutely no natural holes on it then an artificial, well sited and dry, would assist dramatically in the reduction of fox numbers on that land.

They are one of the most humane and clinically lethal ways of culling foxes with the absolute minimum of distress for quarry .

Bang on! Well said :thumbs: