Artificial Fox Earths.

I remember reading an article in one of the shooting mags years ago on fox control and it had very detailed illustrations of artificial fox earths, if i remember correctly it had the entrance pipe and an internal chamber made from galvanised metal sunk into the ground obviously. Just wondering if anyoe has used them for long term fox control on a shoot for instance.

Foxy

Theres loads of them in my area, and also ive made half a dozen myself. All of mine were stone made, topped with the through stones, or slate.

Good siting is the most important thing...

Make it on a bankside that is naturally freedraining soil, in a place that you would think would be a likely good spot for a natural hole. Ideally south facing holes, but if not possible, put a bend/corner in to stop wind going through. Two or three holers are more attractive, but one holers will work aswell if sited well.

Dig the trench 3/4 feet deep, and wide enough to build the walls of the tunnel with the stone. I always made mine where there was an old wall, so the stone was handy! You want the inside of the tunnel to measure about 9 by 9 inches. But if you dont want badgers using them make the entrance narrower, at 6 inch wide by 8 inch tall.

Chambers dont need to be big or fancy at all, and some of our best ones dont have any chambers at all.. just straight tunnels the same narrow width all the way through!., if you put one in, it dosent want to be too wide.

The hunt made most of the ones in my area, but they were going on the same tactic that I was, and that is to make them where there are no, or few, natural earths.

One of mine is regularly bred in, and im often sat there in the summer watching the cubs playing. This same earth is relied upon to produce the goods every time we are called upon to cull some vermin by the landowner, the last time it was dug was this month, producing two vixens and a dog fox, with only two digs, one at 1-2feet, and one at 3 feet.

I dont mate, but its a case of digging a trench, width is dependant on weather you use stone or clay pipe, use common sense for length, too short is nae good, longer is better imo. Depth around 3 feet, just under the sod is no good... Then simply cover over.... job done.

If stone made, the walls are built up using stone in a 'dry stone' method, up to 9 inches. Making sure you bed the stone in well to avoid collapse. Use big stones and often 1 layer will do, with a bit of filling here and there. Keep the channel between each side, at about nine inches(roughly). I cover mine using through stones from old walls... once I used some thick slate. Never use corrugated iron or owt like that.

If you have materials in place, you will complete one in a days work.

make them as long as you possibly can, can put 1/2/or even 3 beds in them, wrap every joint with plastic to keep rain out,if you wantpoint all joints with cement as rabbits dig in and f**k them. bend them too make sure entrance is not in a direct path of wind. in the bed put one block edge on in the middle as stops wind rattling strait through and then the dog goes round the bed as some dogs if keen can go strait through the pipes and nearly miss something in the bed. key is not to make beds too big,like i said a 3 by 2 slab floor a block and a brick high right round and same slab for the roof.. if put in well they will hold after a good summer on them.