heavier the pellet

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a PCP the heavier the pellet the greater the ft/lb

On a springer the lighter the pellet the greater the ft/lb

Always be aware that pellet weight can take you over the 12ft/lb limit!!

Sumo

it depends on which gun you have springer`s like lighter pellets

precharge like heavier pellets

cheers stu

:hmm::hmm:

This seems to crop up from time to time and I can see no logic in this at all...if we assume energy in the form of compressed air at the same power is released from both, can you please explain the above statements!

Cheers!

The other old tale that the police will always check your gun with a bisley magnum to get the most power out of it would seem nonsense if the above is true!!

would i be right in thinking that ft/lbs is a measure of power, in the sence that it is related to both weight and speed of pellet, because if it is it will be MASS X VELOCITY. if a rifle is capable of only one power, surley it wont matter how much the pellet weighs and would produce the same ft/lbs.

if not i need to relook at my physics (never that great at that) and please excuse my ramblings

:D

would i be right in thinking that ft/lbs is a measure of power, in the sence that it is related to both weight and speed of pellet, because if it is it will be MASS X VELOCITY. if a rifle is capable of only one power, surley it wont matter how much the pellet weighs and would produce the same ft/lbs.

if not i need to relook at my physics (never that great at that) and please excuse my ramblings

:D

The logic suggests you should be right but the physics actually says the heavier pellet carries it's energy better then the lighter pellet (like for like conditions)!!!

This I why I don't understand the statements above (and nodoby has explained) why heavy or light are better in springers or PCP...it make no sense..but then again, how Father Chrisrtmas gets down the chimney is also a mystery to me!!

Just a possibilty but....In a PCP the pressure is a steadily increase (steady in comparison) where as a springer has a almost sudden build up of pressure. Maybe the reason why larger calibre rifle use dual charges for more effiecient pressure.

just a thought