The most amazing creatures in nature...

Yep, i love 'em. I find it hard to comprahend how such a tiny creature can with stand the cold temperatures and actually move and survive in water so cold it would kill us. yesterday the garden pond was frozen over, today its teeming with all manner of amazing newts.....a few pics....can anyone guess what species and what sex they are????

THL

THL

THL

Guest Geordie

Nope i cant remember which ones are which,tho i seem to remember there are smooth,palmate and crested??? newts.

I remember whern i was a kid (yes i can remember that far back) lying byt he edge of the ponds watching them wriggle thru the water.

Cant they grow new limbs if they lose one???

As you say amazin little creatures :good:

you naughty boy! they reckon newts can be frozen in block of ice and still survive never tried it myself like. have been breeding and releasing them for a few years now. abour 15/20 years back used to sneak about [private place] ha ha catching adders to release on a little so called private nature reserve. you no; the type of places [full of vermin]but owners wont let you sort job out saying nature balance itself out very frustrating. were uv:ed gone from being a kid and treat as your own [weve all got em.] any way talking to this block who said he had seen some[ adders] previous year often wondered if they had survived. nice to know they have. only live ten mins walk from here now so will be keeping/sneaking a eye out. ps sand martins been spotted down south chiffchaff singing lincoln area could be overwintering bird? could be a bad year for warblers etc due to big drought in east africa. thanks byron.

The newt on the tile is a Triturus vulgaris male, the males have conspicuous spots and the females are uniform brown grey with an orange belly. The other newt pic looks like this species too. Don't know what the English name is, here it's called small newt or common newt.

L

newts are amazing so amazing i used to go to the school pong after school and catch them to look at um, i also kept one as a pet, i kept it for ages but let it go in the end it was amazing watching the swim kool pet to have as a kid. defo a cool little creature

I like he foreign amphibs like axolotl's and horned frogs etc. but the natives have always interested me.

Apparently we have natterjacks and sand lizards here but ive never seen one, always too busy looking at the rabbits though :D

Got kingfishers a couple of hundred yards from my house and peregrines about a mile away too, not bad for shithole town ;)

Gnipper

I like he foreign amphibs like axolotl's and horned frogs etc. but the natives have always interested me.

Apparently we have natterjacks and sand lizards here but ive never seen one, always too busy looking at the rabbits though :D

Got kingfishers a couple of hundred yards from my house and peregrines about a mile away too, not bad for shithole town ;)

Gnipper

i got 2 golden bell tree frogs mate there pretty interseting to

Truely amazing things. Think about a frog for a minute. They start off with FINS and GILLS and sucking mouths. They are, for all practical purposes, a kind of primative fish. And then the weather gets warmer, and they go through this amazing transformation in the space of about two weeks -- the sucking mouth is transformed into a JAW with a huge tongue and tiny teeth . . . the fins are transformed into some of the most powerful LEGS on the planet . . . and the gills are transformed into air-breathing LUNGS and an air sac that would make a bag piper proud.

It's as likely as a carp turning into a wolf. And have no doubt that a large bull frog is a wolf -- they are a top end predator in any pond.

The picture below was sent to me last summer by my friend Larry Morrison , and shows a very large common bull frog in his front yard eating a living bird! The second picture shows the same frog digesting the meal. Wow!

larryfogpic1.jpg

larryfogpic2.jpg