Ive decided that because of the fact im inundated with rabbits im going to have it twice a week, a different dish each time.

Now im not the type to read recipe books and every time i do, as soon as someone mentions creme fraiche or something i just put it down, i dont know what the stuff is or where to buy it.

ive done stews and casseroles and they are ok , but im not mad keen on rabbit to be honest, so ive decided to go for easy stuff to do for a while -JARS!!

Hopefully it will inspire others who like the shooting side but not so keen on eating their kill. :big_boss:

First idea was Rabbit tika massala. I took 2 rabbits, cut off the meat in nice sized chunks while uncooked, and quickly browned them in a hot pan with a little oil. Then added a jar of Tika massala from the local supermarket and simmered for 20 mins. Boiled some rice and voila, an easy meal that tasted absolutely gorgeous. I would give it 10 out of ten for ease to make and 10 out of 10 for taste! :clapper:

The next dish was sweet and sour rabbit. Again i cut chunks off 2 uncooked rabbits, browned them and added a jar of sweet and sour from the supermarket, simmered for 20 mins and had egg noodles with it. Really easy stuff and it tasted great. :victory:

I know some of you will be cursing me for these jar meals but im hoping to inspire others like me who dont do much game cooking to start eating what theyve shot. These easy ideas leave absolutely no excuses for anyone to say they dont like to eat it, or its too much of a faff on to cook the stuff. ;)

Next its rabbit chaseur and rabbit balti.

Trappa

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tried (Rabbit) chicken chasseur today with rice. It was feckin awful! The meat was cooked nice but the sauce was horrid. I dont know whether it was because i didnt like the sauce( strong taste of red wine) or it just didnt go with rabbit, but its not reccomended.

Rabbit spagghetti bolognese tomorrow!

quality idea mate will maybe get others into trying it and make others think there is actualy quite alot you can do with rabbit . wish i was inundated with the stuff lol, mostly tree rats round me thats about it so gonna try some of them soon as iv seen a few things done with them iv thought would be awrite .

regards kris.

Tried (Rabbit) chicken chasseur today with rice. It was feckin awful! The meat was cooked nice but the sauce was horrid. I dont know whether it was because i didnt like the sauce( strong taste of red wine) or it just didnt go with rabbit, but its not reccomended.

Rabbit spagghetti bolognese tomorrow!

I did the same with a chicken chausser sauce, and the rabbit was just edible, but not exceptional, tried it with other cook in sauces such as curry, sweet and sour, and casserole mix and it was lovely. Maybe the mix of flavours does not suit rabbit meat??

Cheers

Aled

• 2 weeks later...

Got a great easy rabbit meal yesterday!

Took 2 young rabbits, cut off the meat while uncooked, then i mixed it with a cajun packet of marinade- its only about 50p a packet (mixed with water and olive oil). I left it to marinade for half an hour then stuck it in the "george formby".

Absolutely gorgeous, it reminded me a bit like a spicy kfc.

East peasy, lemon squeezy and really tasty!

Here's a couple for YOUNG rabbits only. this just uses the front legs, the bits I normally give to the ferrets and dogs.

Cut feet of front legs, having first removed them from the body! Dip in seasoned flour: use garlic salt, tikka powder, cajun mix, or just plain salt and pepper, then fry in a mixture of olive oil and butter VERY gently on both sides until golden (or reddish brown depending on what you seasoned them with!)

You do need quite a few legs to make a meal, but they are a really delicious finger food.

The other recipe is easy peasy too: take the hind legs and saddle, dip in seasoned flour. Seal both sides of each joint in a hot frying pan in oil and butter until coloured, then add an a chopped onion, a few rashers of smoked bacon, or a few sausages, salt and pepper, whatever herbs you want to use, but parsley, basil and thyme work well. Add either a glass of white wine or cider or just plain water, put on a tightly fitting lid and simmer slowly (very important to simmer slowly) for about 3/4 hour or untiil the meat can be easily pulled off the bones. It is totally deeelicious!

You can make this with older rabbits too but you'll need to top up the liquid during cooking as it will take a lot longer to become tender: about 1 to 2 hours depending on the age of the rabbit: still very good, but best with young rabbits.

Damn it: forgot to add the best bit! Just before serving, remove rabbit from pan and slosh in a good slurp of double cream, mix well in and don't allow to boil like mad, then pour the sauce along with the by now well mushy onions and bacon over the rabbit

try adding one of those colemans packets to your stews trappa, i put 2 in . use beef cassarole, chicken cassarole , lamb cassarole. mix and match.

i always leave the meat on the bone when stewing it adds flavour , after a couple of hours the meat wil come of the bone then , so you can then take the bones out.

Guest basil46
one rabbit, one tin of cheep as chips (19p a can) chicken soup... caserole with leeks and carrots. you'll be suprised :victory:

Goes well with tomatoe soup as well. I use the better quality soup as it ends up like a sauce, remember to use fresh vegetables.

basil.