you can feed the rabbit whole,as some do,though i prefer to skin mine as i dont want the dogs tucking into bunnies when they feel like it,you dont need to mince it,dogs will love crunchin em,guts the lot :good: ,neighbours might not like it though,i know mine asked me to turn my ferret cage around so thier 2 year old didnt have to see dead rabbits in there,the've yet to see a entrail tug of war with the dogs

Edited by skinnyrat

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Just a quick note. Dogs don't actually require any form of vegetable intake in their diet. They are carnivores (Canis lupus familiaris = carnivore), and veggies will go in one end and out the other.

Just stick to whole carcases, raw meaty bones, offal etc :good:

And another thing. Blending/grinding food makes for tartar formation, gum disease, periodontal disease and eventually various systemic illnesses and death.

Dogs need to tear and chew on large chunks of meat and bone to massage the gingiva and teeth (they brush and floss as they eat, as one guy puts it). Soggy wet food from the blender just sticks to the teeth and forms tartar.

Give em plenty to chew on, and make it raw :good:

dogs do need the nutrients from fruite and veg thats why in the wild they eat the stomach contents of their kill first and also eat berries and other fruite of trees ..... mincing veg breaks up the meal and releases the nutirent and vitamins that if left whole and just chewed wouldnt occure .............

cooking meat alows the dog to utilise more of the nutrients as the cooking process starts the breakdown. remember that protein (meat) and fat are in the main turned into carbohydrate by the dogs body (glucneogenesis) to be used as fuel. with carbohydrate sources such as vegtable matter then the cooking again alows more of the nutrients to be utilised.

its common sense a balenced diet is best for man or beast.

3 food types:

1 fat used for repair, storage and energy.

2 protein used for repair, growth, storage and energy.

3 carbs (suger) the main energy source. the 2 above are the spare parts for the car carbs are the petrol.

Its all very confusing,- feeding raw.

When i can my dogs get complete rabbit, or half a chicken, or any game bird. I have decided to try and go onto only feeding the BARF. I have just ordered the book Work Wonders, which states that meaty bones are the main part of any dogs feed, and that a dog would be perfectly healthy if only fed half a chicken , as the meat and bones provide all that is needed. Then once every two weeks a meal of liver only.

I was going to feed kidney in the morning for vitamins, then the chicken, rabbit etc later for the main meal, but reading what you are all writing seems to indicate i am leaving a lot out ? Veg etc. I would feed guts etc when its possible. The book states that no veg is required in the dogs diet. ? Fish to be included, but whole fish.

Book by Tom Lonsdale.

Any more info would be a good help.

Its all very confusing,- feeding raw.

When i can my dogs get complete rabbit, or half a chicken, or any game bird. I have decided to try and go onto only feeding the BARF. I have just ordered the book Work Wonders, which states that meaty bones are the main part of any dogs feed, and that a dog would be perfectly healthy if only fed half a chicken , as the meat and bones provide all that is needed. Then once every two weeks a meal of liver only.

I was going to feed kidney in the morning for vitamins, then the chicken, rabbit etc later for the main meal, but reading what you are all writing seems to indicate i am leaving a lot out ? Veg etc. I would feed guts etc when its possible. The book states that no veg is required in the dogs diet. ? Fish to be included, but whole fish.

Book by Tom Lonsdale.

Any more info would be a good help.

Dr Atkins said that you would be healthy on a similer diet but science and common sense would say otherwise. just because someone says something in a book doesn't mean its true! a balenced diet will ensure that your dog gets all the fuel in the form of carbs and requsits for repair, growth in the form of fat and protein. a dogs digestive system has more similarities to our own than differences although hopefully a little more robust.

cooking meat alows the dog to utilise more of the nutrients as the cooking process starts the breakdown. remember that protein (meat) and fat are in the main turned into carbohydrate by the dogs body (glucneogenesis) to be used as fuel. with carbohydrate sources such as vegtable matter then the cooking again alows more of the nutrients to be utilised.

its common sense a balenced diet is best for man or beast.

3 food types:

1 fat used for repair, storage and energy.

2 protein used for repair, growth, storage and energy.

3 carbs (suger) the main energy source. the 2 above are the spare parts for the car carbs are the petrol.

the cooking process kills protein in meats and thus kills the creatine which is the main building block in the body usefd to repair damaged tissue and grow muscle ..... boiling veg kills all the vitamins and nutrients and renders them useless ....... carbs are not the main source of energy in dogs fats are .........

Socks you're right about the cooking process being bad, more power to ya... only one thing to mention...

Wild dogs = wolves. The wolf is Canis lupis, and the dog is Canis lupis familiaris.... Wolves do NOT eat the stomach contents of prey in the wild. Period.

Another nice little myth for all those sites selling "Barf" (vomit shit) made of mashed up veggies. Check out some of the world authorities on wolves and you'll clearly see over and over they say having watched many thousands of wolf kills they NEVER eat the stomach contents.

Meat, bones, hide, hair and sinew only (oh and organs, brains... but no veggies!).

Yours,

Lee

Here's some references to scientific treatise, papers etc I mentioned.

Mech, one of THE world experts in wolf ecology and behaviour, wrote in his 2003 book "Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation":

"Wolves usually tear into the body cavity of large prey and...consume the larger internal organs, such as lungs, heart, and liver. The large rumen [, which is one of the main stomach chambers in large ruminant herbivores,]...is usually punctured during removal and its contents spilled. The vegetation in the intestinal tract is of no interest to the wolves, but the stomach lining and intestinal wall are consumed, and their contents further strewn about the kill site." (pg.123, emphasis added)

"To grow and maintain their own bodies, wolves need to ingest all the major parts of their herbivorous prey, except the plants in the digestive system." (pg.124, emphasis added).

There's loads more out there if you look ;)

Lee