whats it like to train a bedlington/whippet???

Just getting back into this cross after 25 yrs, but mine are home bred whippet x greyhound Dam, and my mates non-ped whippet x bedlington. At 7 weeks old there good on the re-call when playing in the back garden, also sit on command, but have to bribe with a digestive biscuitpupsfeb13th010.jpg:laugh:pupsfeb13th011.jpg

Edited by sowhat
  • Like 1

Just getting back into this cross after 25 yrs, but mine are home bred whippet x greyhound Dam, and my mates non-ped whippet x bedlington. At 7 weeks old there good on the re-call when playing in the back garden, also sit on command, but have to bribe with a digestive biscuitpupsfeb13th010.jpg:laugh:pupsfeb13th011.jpg

very nice pups and well looked after well done mate ,
  • Like 1

i have an 18 month old 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy hes a pet that often puts food on the table from daytime mooching and occasional lamping and he does it all no problem.

i dont go out for big numbers just out for a rabbit or two for the pot now and again and he is happy hunting,walk round park ,back of landrover or sleeping on the sofa.

training wise he aint no collie or spaniel obeying every command but he comes when called,retrieves and walks to heal .

he doesnt yap,infact you hardly know hes around.hes perfect for what i want and id have another one tomorrow.

• Like 1

Very nice pups, just my opinion but i like that bit of greyhound in to try andget the size up. I like one around 21/22" for ferreting, lamping rabbits, my little bitch has greyhound in from same the man lines in the dam but has only made 18 1/4" but she has a nice long back. First bedlington lurcher i had was over 20yrs ago and they are my kind of dog, always give 100%, good temperment and excellent prey drive and more biddable than people say they are but you get out of them what you put in. If i ever breed off my bitch i will put a whippet greyhound over her to get the size up and up the speed. Had a 23" greyhound/whippet cross greyhound/bedlington 20yrs ago and ran totaly mute and always gave everything. What was your dams running name she is a cracking looking bitch.

Very nice pups, just my opinion but i like that bit of greyhound in to try andget the size up. I like one around 21/22" for ferreting, lamping rabbits, my little bitch has greyhound in from same the man lines in the dam but has only made 18 1/4" but she has a nice long back. First bedlington lurcher i had was over 20yrs ago and they are my kind of dog, always give 100%, good temperment and excellent prey drive and more biddable than people say they are but you get out of them what you put in. If i ever breed off my bitch i will put a whippet greyhound over her to get the size up and up the speed. Had a 23" greyhound/whippet cross greyhound/bedlington 20yrs ago and ran totaly mute and always gave everything. What was your dams running name she is a cracking looking bitch.

My ferreting bitch, first cross.bramwithsal024.jpg

skipton005.jpg

greyhound/whippet x geyhound/bedlingtonBENbeddylurcher.jpg

Very nice pups, just my opinion but i like that bit of greyhound in to try andget the size up. I like one around 21/22" for ferreting, lamping rabbits, my little bitch has greyhound in from same the man lines in the dam but has only made, 18 1/4" but she has a nice long back. First bedlington lurcher i had was over 20yrs ago and they are my kind of dog, always give 100%, good temperment and excellent prey drive and more biddable than people say they are but you get out of them what you put in. If i ever breed off my bitch i will put a whippet greyhound over her to get the size up and up the speed. Had a 23" greyhound/whippet cross greyhound/bedlington 20yrs ago and ran totaly mute and always gave everything. What was your dams running name she is a cracking looking bitch.

Thanks for the nice comments L C, the dam (Shelia) was called Burnt Sugar :thumbs: out of (Burnpark Time x Jack the Lad) alot of people think that if you race your dogs, they don't get worked,................. wrong, we love mooching, never ever been a big white hunter, a couple of rabbits and the odd couple of big ears now and again and I'm a happy chappy, and so are the dogs.

STUBBORN kind of sums it up.Mine is lovely natured and keen as mustard,but has been awkward at times.She's 14 months old now,and been ferreting since 6 months and excells at the job,has a fantastic nose,will go anywhere to get her quarry,and never seems to run out of steam.

She has struggled a bit on the lamp,but this probably has more to do with the height of her and the undulations of the ground im running her on.When not working you wouldn't know you had her,she is quiet,good natured, and a pleasure to keep.I got her purely for rabbits,so i cannot really fault her at her job. :thumbs:

that is 1 fantastic looking dog in my opinion

post-1833-1207479051.jpg

post-1833-1207479065.jpg