Commonwealth Games............

They've nearly finished now, and i haven't followed them - but, for some reason, the netball caught my eye this morning............anyway.

I saw an interview with some English runner (not British in these games, of course), who'd won a sprint gold medal. Towards the end, she said she was a bit wrong footed, when "Jerusalem" was played instead of "God Save the Queen", and confessed that she "didn't know the words"........at which point my finely tuned Outrage-o-meter flickered into life.

A - I have always been under the impression that "Land of Hope and Glory" is the English anthem.

B - Who decided that "Jerusalem" would be used instead, and

C - I assume the athletes were told of this change, SO WHY DIDN'T SHE LEARN THE CHUFFING WORDS ??

Right.........that's enough of that, I'm off to enjoy the sunshine !

A: England doesn't have a National Anthem but it bloody well should have.

B: Apparently Jerusalem was voted the anthem they would use for Team England two Commonwealth games ago.

C: She should have known and learnt the words.

I know the words as Jerusalem was our school's anthem all those years ago. 

And I can see my usual curmudgeonly state drifting into "ratty old git", before the day's out - I've just been informed that we're going out to get a new garden gazebo.......to replace the perfectly good one we've already got.

Still, at least I can sing "Jerusalem" while I'm at it !

3 minutes ago, mackem said:

My sisters partner was contracted to fly to Oz to work on the games,i think he still has 2 weeks or so left out there,decent wedge.

But does he know the words to "Jerusalem" ?

c...lets just asume befor having a pop at the lass...maybe they didnt tell her wich anatham they were using...

watched the diving yesterday...nice to see daily get a gold with his partner in the syncro....however slightly disterbing was there matching landing stips..:icon_eek::bad:..

and nice to see the other day Tia Clair Toomey [ozzy ] get gold in the 58 kilo class at the weightlifting ...she also holds the crossfit title fitest on earth..sponserd by reebok ...a super athlete for sure

9 hours ago, scothunter said:

Thought God save the Queen was the national anthem

The British anthem, yes.

At the Commonwealth games, the home nations compete separately..............so an English anthem is needed. "God Save the Queen" was used until recently, but now it's "Jerusalem"..........and I'm not convinced that the right choice !

:nono:

• Thanks 1