Muntjac

Out for a walk with my whippet and bedyxwhippet today, we waik this land when ever it's just a quick hour and back home. It holds a few bunny's and pheasants and my dogs love hunting to see what they can flush, the little bitch was taking a interest in a Heage near a gateway the whippet was ten yards out in field when all of a sudden a baby munty bolted and worse still went in whippets direction, he had it in his mouth in seconds, I never cleared a fence quicker. It was bleating away why he held it, he dropet it in my hand and it was placed in my wax coat while I got dogs secure. After checking the little fella over I put it back into the Heage were it bolted straight up side of field and into large patch of brambles. I was so happy he did not crunch it when it was bleating. He did look at me as if to say why did you release it "I just grabbed it for you" he got a pheasant in a paddock ten minutes after wich stayed in my jacket. Atb

• Like 12

52 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Fair play sir no need to kill a little un if u can help it

Yes I was happy to see the little fella run free again, I'm sure it's mum was about somewhere. Quite a few munty have moved onto this land in last few months, large estate over Road from land so there probably moving away from shoots that's going on just now. Must say it was a buitifull little thing not that the whippets thought the same. He's still looking at me as to say "you moan when I don't retreave live, when I do you release it" 

10 minutes ago, Jerry71 said:

Yes I was happy to see the little fella run free again, I'm sure it's mum was about somewhere. Quite a few munty have moved onto this land in last few months, large estate over Road from land so there probably moving away from shoots that's going on just now. Must say it was a buitifull little thing not that the whippets thought the same. He's still looking at me as to say "you moan when I don't retreave live, when I do you release it" 

See what he meks of a buck should he accidentally trip over one?

8 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

A buck would probably kill a whippet they are tough buggers

I had a 3q whippet x bedy few years ago, we was out on Xmas eve just for a quick walk to let dogs empty themselves when my bedlington bitch flushed a big buck out some brambles, my whippet x was away after it and by time I got to them they was in a large patch brambles, muntjac was down with my boy holding it by the neck and bedy had a leg, it was far from dead and I could see quite a bit of blood on my boy, I took care of munty and checked dogs over, he lost 3 teeth and he was badly bruised were he'd been booted. Cost several  hundred at vets and he hated all deer, Fox from that day on. I would never slip a small lurcher on munty as they can do so much damage and they are strong for there size, and what noise they make. Atb

In our last house my Wife was always telling me that saw them every day, it was not that i did not believe her i just thought she was mistaken, then i came home one day and she shown me this picture , there is another picture somewhere on my computer that shows one in my garden alongside three rabbits , there were lots of rabbit and other game at this place but i enjoyed seeing them so they got a pass.

P1010005_zpsd0cc2ce8.jpg

Edited by micky
  • Like 1