410 shooting high

Guest Navek

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's 5 silly options for you to consider  1. aim about a foot and a half low. 2. get a high front bead. 3. add some packing to extend the stock length. 4. bend the barrel down in a curve. 5. throw a

Club.    I've never thought about or tested the accuracy of mine.  I was given it and apparently it has taken hundreds and hundreds of birds off of  boughs in the distant past by the blokes father and

Nout wrong using a good tractor front link is there inderdog?

Posted Images

I had a folding .410 that shot about six inches high. The exterior of the barrel seemed straight . Like most .410s it was full-choked to screw an extra few yards of pattern out of a bore -size that wasn't originally intended for long-range work .Which meant that at the short-range stuff that .410s should excell at like bolting bunnies at five yards and sitting pheasants(er, I mean pigeons)at ten yards I not only had a poor spread of shot to deal with but also to compensate for the thing not shooting straight in the first place.

The gun was only worth £20 at most so I decided on drastic action and sawed the barrel off behind the choke.In fact by the time I'd finished the barrel it was less than half an inch over the legal minimum length

Lo and behold I had a cylinder bored .410 that I could hit things with.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1

They.  Do they produce a curly wurlie barrel to shoot snipe with? Sort of like a zig zag barrel and zig zag cartridges.to match.

PS after a rethink I have ammended the above. The quality of Remington went downhill in later years.

Edited by Meece
Modified thought

That's racist, hill Billie's are resourceful people.

Barrel bending is an art practiced by top gun makers.

As some who works in engineering steels, it is very common to have to straighten sections of steel as they although from a distance look straight never are.

Cheap made gun barrels are no different, why even the bore can be not in the center on some cheap guns!

One must be careful to not assume that all things are made true!

I still don't recommend whacking a barrel as a video may suggest, there is little control with that method!

Yes, the above is true. I have seen pictures of gunmakers at Remington straightening barrels using a hand powered truing press. I can see images of someone weighing on a barrel and ending up with a 45° bent barrel. It would need a bit of hand and eye sympathy to feel the steel. Link to picture of jig. >>>

https://goo.gl/images/BeSsKD

Edited by Meece
Added content
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/12/2017 at 10:10, FLATTOP said:

I've got an old .410 poachers gun with a folding stock and I can honestly say I haven't hit a barn door with it it's useless I keep it because I like the look of it and it's old. 

Same reason my mrs keeps me,lol....

• Haha 1