Give A Punch And Take One !

Proper gentleman too Holmes. I can remember him on two occasions waving in the referee to stop a fight because he was worried his opponent was taking too much punishment. Ali was one and Joe Frazier's son was another. I remember him crying after beating Ali. Ali was a close friend of his. I also think he knew he'd beaten Ali's ghost, not the real Ali. Definitely one of the greats of heavyweight boxing.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 5

Jaw like granite

Also I dont think they stopped fights as quick as they do knowadays

if they did mate Ali would have been a minor boxing hero he took some savage beatings on the ropes just letting people punch themselves out he called it the rope a dope tactic but I think it was probably responsible for his sad demise and would have been stopped nowadays for failing to defend yourself, look at the Ben v MCClellan fight one of the best fights I,ve ever seen but should have been stopped much much earlier
  • Like 3

Jaw like granite

Also I dont think they stopped fights as quick as they do knowadays

if they did mate Ali would have been a minor boxing hero he took some savage beatings on the ropes just letting people punch themselves out he called it the rope a dope tactic but I think it was probably responsible for his sad demise and would have been stopped nowadays for failing to defend yourself, look at the Ben v MCClellan fight one of the best fights I,ve ever seen but should have been stopped much much earlier
true I suppose theres a fine line between getting up of the canvas and dying hard to call .

yeh deff tough fighters in them days , AJ wouldnt last long , he get taken out quick in them days, Fury only last longer , as he run around not throwing a punch for 12-15 rounds , AJ would have gone to fight, not hide . :yes:

• Like 1

I can't think of any current heavyweights who are good enough to mix it with the 70s heavyweights. It's like two different sports completely. Everybody raves about AJ but I honestly think in the 70s he would have been a journeyman. It really was a golden era.

I think they paid for it though. A lot of them have signs of being 'punch drunk' and a lot are prematurely dead.

• Like 1

Dead 70s heavyweights: Young,Paterson,Norton,Frazier Ali,Lyle,Quarry. Others too, all before their time. Something to do with the punishment they took surely.

highly committed without a doubt and paid for it with health issues but most come from very poor backgrounds where most young mens life expectancy would be very short anyway, be it through prison or shot dead . Boxing gave them a chance of a way out a chance of a better life Edited by marshman
  • Like 2

Dead 70s heavyweights: Young,Paterson,Norton,Frazier Ali,Lyle,Quarry. Others too, all before their time. Something to do with the punishment they took surely.

highly committed without a doubt and paid for it with health issues but most come from very poor backgrounds where most young mens life expectancy would be very short anyway, be it through prison or shot dead . Boxing gave them a chance of a way out a chance of a better life

I don't disagree.I would take the risks if could earn mega money. Not much chance of present heavyweights becoming punch drunk or dying early....they don't give or receive anything like the amount of blows to the head those lads used to take.

• Like 1