• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yokel Matt

Yokel Matt

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:09 pm

Last Saturday evening - I'd been up well before dawn and after walking for miles and seen feck-all (on my permission anyway) decided to spend the last 2 hours of daylight sat in a high seat set in 12 acres of divine sitka spruce permission that was part of a 300 acre block. It was both cold and windy so being sat on my arse in the highseat and before long I was absolutely freezing my nuts off.

Some total bell-ends had decided to spend the evening pretending to be Ray Mears or Bear Grylls and were 150 meters away on the neighbours permission with a roaring fire and trying to break more firewood so moral and expectations were low to say the least!

Maybe ten / fifteen minute of shootable light left - like a mirage, a group of sika approach from my left. The adult hind was easy to spot so, selecting an obvious calf as soon as it was clear BOOM.... thump. followed by deer running every-which-way. I followed my hind calf the few yards that she was visible to gauge her general direction and then was distracted by as following group that stopped in the same spot. There happened to be another calf in this group so, going for a straight pin-shot, I dropper her on the spot.

The first strike had been on in an area of rushy grass on a ride of woodland and try as a might in the half-light I couldn't find the strike spot. I spent an hour, well past darkness, looking with a decent torch and eventually gave up.

I was back at dawn the next day to follow up and was PISSED to see that something had got there first. I must have walked past it a dozen times but it was invisible in the ditch if collapsed into... I really must get a dog! 

chomp_zpsm6ettsqg.jpeg

• bob.243 likes this

#2 the scudd

the scudd

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:53 pm

hateful that, your right aboiut the dog though

#3 sussex

sussex

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:54 pm

Happens to most of us at some time Matt , bugger when you loose one but at least it died quickly rather than run off a die a slow death ..few years back we lost a big buck , and like you in the morning you wonder how you never tripped over it we was lucky it was a freezing cold night and nothing had got to it before we returned.
Must say the dog is a great asset ..

#4 Yokel Matt

Yokel Matt

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:02 pm

It was not more that 20m from when it was hit and I was out the seat straight away looking for it. So frustrating.

#5 The one

The one

Honorary Life President of the THL New Member Welcoming Committe

• Donator
  • 38,898 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:51 am

Funny they always seem to go into the hauch to the cheaper meat too ?. :censored:

#6 j j m

j j m

No2 on the Thl welcoming committee.

• Donator
  • 19,246 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:28 pm

nothing worse

#7 ratattack

ratattack

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:17 am

A good torch would probably have been a help if that close. It's inevitable that you will lose the odd one, the main thing is it's dead and not still running around wounded.

#8 firthy

firthy

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:38 pm

Glad your getting a few mate 👍

#9 foxdropper

foxdropper

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 8,601 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:40 am

When I saw the title I thought oh no he didn't did he but read on regardless .lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users