My spaniel naturally learned to mark traps that had caught. She used to do beating and walk up shooting as well as retrieve from a hide so she knows the game. When I went out checking the traps on the farm where we used to live she would run on ahead and check them before I got there. Any that had caught would result in her marking the location. I never did get her to empty and re-set the trap though.

With Putanges the French way is to dig out a huge clod using a full size shovel, put a trap in the tunnel either side, mark them with long thin rods and them replace the clod. They then return with a dog, typically a dachshund or similar breed and let the dog indicate whether they need to lift the clod or not. The dog saves them a lot of work as the traps are not visible unless you lift out the clod. I use an adapted system for long term 'sleeper' traps I put in gardens of holiday homes or those gardens where they have continual re-infestation. But I use much smaller excavations than the French pro's do and so it isn't as much hassle checking them.

Incidentally, now that the weather is warming up you don't need a dog to indicate a trapped mole. Just watch for flies around the trap site.

Spotting fresh mole activity isn't rocket science and doesn't need a dog :no:

My little terrier that comes to work with me knows the game.... she runs up to set traps and if there is a mole in it, stares at it (she knows that digging at traps is verbotten). When I pull the trap out, she carefully extracts the dead mole as I push the catch loop down, and then jumps back on the bike with it. I may eventually train her to deposit the cadaver straight into the bucket on the bike, but somehow I doubt it.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before folks start talking about the best crosses to use on moles..... :laugh:

Strange this topic has come up!!

I`m in the process of my covert breeding plan between a stoat and a dog, it will be called a mol-sto.

If all goes swimmingly to plan then traps will be a thing of the past :bye: :bye: No more dodgy knees :victory: :victory: Just a mol-sto and you`re in business. The mol-sto will be trained to excavate a "live" mole tunnel and simply chase down the quarry through the tunnel system and with a swift bite "kill the mole" and bring it back to the owner :tongue2: :tongue2:

Watch this space

Edited by shropshire mole
  • Like 1

No nothing about mole trapping, but just wondering about empty traps which have fired but missed! Surely this happens like any other trap?

How do you know your traps are working, especially those that use a dog to indicate/check whether you've caught or not? Or is it that uncommon to have empty sprung traps that it doesn't really matter?

The French who use dogs normally use Putange traps and in my experience it is rare to have one go off without a kill. With the normal traps such as Duffus and Talpex you can see whether the trap has fired or not just by looking at it. But sometimes moles dig under traps and don't set them off so if there is no capture and / or there is fresh activity nearby it is good practice to lift the traps and see whether there is any tunnel under them.

• Like 1

Well I thought I could try on local green and work from there not thinking of doing it for money like some of you but be handy to know I can do it right so anyone can give me tips advice how to go then thanks in advance oh and basic equipment I need atb Flacko