Right you lovely lot. I have a question which i would like your advice and input on if possible, i have always been a spaniel man myself and love the breed to bits. But this last season i have taken up wildfowling, and as much as my little cocker loves accompanying me on the marsh i cannot honestly see her making the grade, and after witnessing the harsh winter tides first hand, i can say im not to keen on sending her for certain retrives. It's obvious a good strong lab is whats needed here.

Now to my question, is there a strain out there or has anyone seen a good hard hunting lab before, i dont mean the type that you can send for a 200yrd retrive is some harsh ferns. But a lab that is willing to get into thick harsh cover and pyhsically work to flush game as would a spaniel. I know diffrent horses for courses, but if a lab puppy was entered correctly could you get a good all round hunting companion, willing to sit in a muddy ditch or pigeon hide, but just as comfortable and willing yo go beating and work hedgerows whilst rought shooting. I know its a big ask but surley theres got to be some out there, i look forward to your replys. Cheers hh

Iv got my first lab here, iv trained him up for wildfowling and all the other commands ,whistles ,hand signals etc.... But playtime was with the terriers, and as such he worked the cover like the terriers, Infact as a young pup he was going to ground with them haha, .. Me personally I think it's how there brought up

could you get a good all round hunting companion with a lab,simple answer yes iv seen a few when i was a youngster do all you mentioned,my old man was in WAGBI,and done lot duck and goose shooting on the marshes/foreshore as well as pigeon and rough shooting

I've got one here that will happily take the easy option when working cover. But if he knows there's something in there he will get too it. Brambles, gorse or whatever.

That's where the brains come in.

There's plenty of good working strains still being used on the shore which will hunt and work thick cover .

Make sure it has a good working parents , a good double coat and gently introduce it to water and thick cover and you will be grand.

post-76132-0-99428400-1427406495_thumb.jpg

post-76132-0-67634100-1427406608_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If your a spaniel man why not look at a springer, legendary for flushing game and a strong wildfowling dog, mine will jump in ice cold rivers without a second thought to make a retrieve. Not saying anything against labs I think their great, but I like you prefer spaniels.

I don't work Springers so this is just an observation but I would suggest that depending where in the country your wildfowling is, (if it is coastal) you might find a lab to be a more powerful swimmer in stronger tides, also, I have never seen a Springer do a water retrieve on something like a Greylag or Canada goose, would you say they are strong enough for that? Because I know a lab is.

Just thinking outside the box and I would love some input from other members but have you considered a German Wireheaired Pointer? Very strong, hard dogs. Take some seriously firm training techniques but I bet they'd do the job.

Had both. Labrador 'Black Dog' and springer 'Sweep'. Unwanted mating and hey presto. Springador. That guy gave me everything. Possibly the boldest thing I've ever had. No problem with cover, water,geese and every other game. Good family pet. Easy to train. There are plenty about. Jok.

Cheers for the reply guys. I have thought about a springador, only problen is there's no garuntee of the outcome of who's side the dog will take. It might come out on the small spaniel side and then id be back to square one again. At least with a pure breed there's less guess work involved in choosing a pup.

I think that if you viewed a litter of Spanadors the dominant strain, should be fairly obvious. You should be looking at a large square head, as opposed to (sorry spaniels) a slightly more snipey appearance. Bigger feet. broader tail and obviously the colour. My Springador had a small white blaze on his chest, slightly smaller at the shoulder and built like a brick shithouse. Jok.

• Like 1