Mole Traps In The Frost

Lol as i thought your moles have got to turn sideways to get through the prongs so if you put the trap in the other way they would,nt have to lol

Good advice. I've been putting them in on their backs as that is how the locals do it, but thinking about it now sideways makes more sense. Strange how I knew what the problem was, but didn't see the solution. What a silly bunt! LOL

Thinking about it, I'll bet that the local pro's put the traps on their backs, prongs up, so that they can put the rods in through the eyes to secure the traps and mark their position. I'll start to put them in on their sides and let you know how I get on. Thanks.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well there here, the traps from France. delivered within 6 days They are strong, glad i have to tool to open them with, be very time comsuming and trapped fingers with out   Will try them out on Th

Simple.....just build a mole hill on top of the trap, the soil will protect it from a freeze-up and it won't effect firing.....job done.....   I also use this set when trapping public places such a

Pms sent to Socks and Nicepics. I will make sure you get them back with hopefully a few more. Left the trap sent by Mr muddy with Jon ,He will make the jig on monday and then try one or two for me to

Posted Images

Lol as i thought your moles have got to turn sideways to get through the prongs so if you put the trap in the other way they would,nt have to lol

I know nothing about trapping moles, never tapped one (shot a few though) and doubt if I ever will. How does the trauma compare with the legs of the trap hitting the spine and sternum compare to the legs hitting the sides of the rib cage? Does it make any difference?

TC

The thing is if the prongs are open wide enough into the run they shouldn't, have to turn any way no matter which way you use them..

Just thinking on that, if as in the video that was put up earlier to get the width of the forks wider you have to put the trigger further back, would not that then affect the quick killing abilities of the trap, in that it is not hitting the mole around the chest area?

TC

I put the trigger around 1" back from the prongs. Every mole is trapped between the skull and just behind the shoulders. I've not had a single foul capture using these traps. If I put the trigger further back it would widen the prongs, but the further back you put them, the greater the pressure on the trigger and the harder it is to trip it.

The Putanges I use now are a lot stronger than the ones available in some shops. I don't have a micrometer to check, but I reckon the metal is thicker on these traps than the cheaper type, but it might be down to the quality of metal used. I put them prongs up normally and only put them sideways if I can't get them to sit prongs up. But given what Torchey has posted I'll definitely be trying more sideways setting in the future.

There is an alternative wider trigger that some use. It is similar to the type used in scissor traps. I don't like them as the force needed to push it back is a lot more than the square wire triggers. I have included one in the package with the setting lever in case our resident engineer can adapt it to make it better. In the meantime I'll try and bodge some out of coat hangers as Torchey has suggested.

Are mole runs the same diameter or do they vary? If they are roughly the same diameter would a trigger something like this work? It would allow you to have the forks wider yet still catch the mole around the chest area when triggered.

Please don't all shout at once, it's just an idea. :laugh:

post-20736-0-72980800-1423427226_thumb.png

TC

Ha, ha, that's actualy prety obvoious now you've said it, I dont know why it took seven pages to work that one out :laugh:

• Like 1

I know nothing about trapping moles, never tapped one (shot a few though) and doubt if I ever will. How does the trauma compare with the legs of the trap hitting the spine and sternum compare to the legs hitting the sides of the rib cage? Does it make any difference?

If my memory's working right; the ones I catch the 'usual' way up often have bloody mouths & noses, which I assume means their lungs are smashed-in pretty good. With the ones I catch on their sides I don't necessarily see any blood, but that could just mean they never lived long enough to take another breath, which is even better.

Either way, in terms of being humane, I'd put them above the duffus traps which, in my experience, often trap moles behind the ribs. But I would imagine that nothing can touch a good quality Taplex for a quick kill, simply due to the power of the spring.

All just my thoughts on the subject from memory, you understand. I've never done any actual research.

dont all laugh at once but in setting the putange traps ,could a uprated gardening bulb planter not be used on runs to take a core of earth out then easier to put the core back :hmm:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiskars-7983-Bulb-Transplanter-Plant-Garden-Flowers-Hand-Tool-NEW-/131294762322?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item1e91c71552

I've just done a small garden job this morning. The sun is out for the first time for a few days and so the ground is softening up. I started in the sunniest corner, found the deeper commuting runs and popped some Flatpacks in with insulation over as it will drop to zero overnight. Got home two hours after setting off Normally I have an hour each way travelling. Details of two more jobs on the notepad that came in while I was out. Happy days.