This Time Of Year Where Are They ??

There nowhere to be seen on my small permission ..

Started at 7 this morning and got 3 for 3 shots by 11 ..

The rape is well on but they don't seem interested . Just cruising round as if there on benefits ha ha

Any ideas what there feeding on ??

Not much wild food left now , but maybe not cold enough to resort to eating the rape ??

I believe they don't kike the rape they just eat it through desperation in the cold months .

Not cold enough yet bud, I only ever shoot the rape when frosts or preferably snow on the ground, too much food widespread for them at the mo.

I also reckon the numbers are not like they used to be as well.

Edited by Rabid
  • Like 2

thanks liam i think you lands way better than mine anyway , much bigger and more woodland .

i got a pair of hypaflapas and want ed to try them , seem pretty good . i thibk dead birds are probably better ..

there in the beach trees here to but not numbers , just a constant flow of pairs.

i might have to get a little .410 and zap them as they come in .

I don't have any woodland unfortunately , he whole area is syndicate or commercial shooting . I was lucky to get the tiny permission I have ..

I better start my begging farmers agsin and get a little .410 under over to squeeze what little sport there is out of the land .

Thanks for the input , I'm finding this interesting to find that the birds really are very localised in there behavior .

I have a lot of ash trees here that see small group of pigeons land pretty much all day , maybe a few lofters and a small calibre shotgun would bring a small bag ??

Then there cant be very much else for them to eat they will go on young fresh rape just through the ground but at this time of year rape will be well established ....its like geese they wont go on rape unless they are quite desperate ....when they go onto brassica s especially in heavy snow as thats usually the only type of plant showing above the snow and the loose condition very quickly and if they are on it for any length of time it can actually kill them .