• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only just gone and smashed my PB. I was reeling in one rod to pack away, when the other went off.   13lb 7oz.     Over the moon.

I am a BARBEL fisherman.       Get in.............

Objective achieved!! A River Dove double. Get in.........   Only taken me two and a half seasons.     10lb 10oz. My new personal best.     HAVE IT!!

Posted Images

Well went a hour tonight with the spinners and lures no records broken but managed couple of perch and a little pike so not had a blank

71016B2B-D1D0-481B-97BF-DA9E3D7F91BD_zps

Alright, alright. No need to rub it in. :laugh: :laugh:

Packed up at 11pm. No more bites. So, two trips now, two bites, two lost fish. Seems to be a pattern forming here. :hmm: Nice day out with lots of wildlife. Kingfishers, Herons, Barn Owl. Bats hitting my line. Just no fish. Wondering if i'm doing something wrong, don't think i am. Maybe it's just hard ??

No worries. :thumbs:

I come from a match fishing background. Just sitting there and waiting for a bite isn't what i'm used to. Only just got into the Barbel scene. Set my stall out for a double this season. Got a week off soon, i'll be giving it a real go then.

I come from a match fishing background. Just sitting there and waiting for a bite isn't what i'm used to. Only just got into the Barbel scene. Set my stall out for a double this season. Got a week off soon, i'll be giving it a real go then.

I know the feeling mate, the sit and waiting game is so hard to get used too... I'm used to being busy all the time and struggle to sit still, as we've discussed before the old match fishing is hard to shrug off.

There aren't many barbel in the rivers down here, ( a few in the upper Exe and Culm) so never fished for them much ( lost one on the Bristol Avon) hoping I'll break my duck on the Wye on the saturday before the match.

Keep at it though mate, it'll come :thumbs:

• Like 1

We are lucky to have plenty of barbel in the River Lea, the Ouse and the Ivel round here and number of top anglers use match tactics to bring in sizeable fish. One of the best has written it up here.

Going again tomorrow night. Different stretch this time.

Tight lines. What method and baits are you going to use? The earlier photo looks like pellets. To be honest barbel are not a shy fish and if you can locate them, they should take most baits presented properly. If it was me I'd use lobworms or meat using as light a rig as the current will allow over some groundbait with a bit of hemp mixed in. I know it's not very modern, but it usually works for me

Going again tomorrow night. Different stretch this time.

Tight lines. What method and baits are you going to use? The earlier photo looks like pellets. To be honest barbel are not a shy fish and if you can locate them, they should take most baits presented properly. If it was me I'd use lobworms or meat using as light a rig as the current will allow over some groundbait with a bit of hemp mixed in. I know it's not very modern, but it usually works for me

12mm hair rigged Halibut pellet. Size 8 hook to 3 foot 14lb Korda Supernatural braid hook length. Running lead clip with an 2oz lead to 12lb Daiwa Sensor mainline. Greys Prodigy 2lbs TC Barbel rod, Shimano 5010 Baitrunner. Loose feed 3mm-6mm-8mm Halibut pellets. Or G/B feeder.

Used to fish the Hemp and Caster feeder years ago. Bit with the price of Casters now, pellets are a cheaper option. The river doesn't hold that many Barbel, but the ones it does hold are big ones. (So i'm told)

The river is only 20 yds wide and has shallow runs and deep parts too. Iv'e only been twice, so i'm just getting to know bits of it.

Sounds good and it sounds like you need to find the fish on that river first. However is the current that strong that you need a 2 oz lead?

I'm guessing he's using the lead that weight as a bolt system ( to hook the fish),

Arch you've gone proper specimen...

Get the float rod out and run a stick through.... You know you want too lol

• Like 1

Let's see what Ossie says. :-) You don't really need a bolt rig for barbel - in fact you could lose your rod like that. I find they often hook themselves even if I only using a single swan shot. Agree with specimen set up comment though :laugh: .

• Like 1