Sign in to follow this  
socks

What's The Rules

Same as, a few partridge for call birds.

14000 on 300 acres............ Ok.

Just out interest what was the good percentages.??

14000 pheasants

2000. Ducks

2000 partridge

3-400 acres

Bollocks ;-)

. And five turtle doves three french hens And the geese a laying
  • Like 2

Impossible not sustainable you would end up with serious disease problems putting that number down. All birds should be released well before the shooting even begins.

There is some real pish spouted on this thread for sure :yes: In answer to socks question it is perfectly legal to have birds penned up, to,through and after the season be they pheasant or partridge, when they are released is entirely down to the shoots schedule (not every one starts shooting just because the season has started)and the keepers conscience.Topping up is neither a new thing nor that big of a deal,shoots are businesses and at times it's what gets the job done,at the end of the day the keepers job is to put on a show and just like any good pantomime some times you need to use smoke and mirrors.

I'll now wait for some muppet (who will claim to do a "bit of the keepering" or was a keeper for about 6 months till they jacked)to start spouting best practice at me.

• Like 5

the above post about covers it, quite clearly comes from experience.

as for 18,000 head on 300 acres its dreamland stuff it would be standing room only, even giving the benefit of missing out a 0 3000 acre for that number imo is pushing it.

when I keepered we put down 10,000 red legs on 2000 acres but of that 2000 acres 400 acres was turned to strategically placed cover crops and the returns here were 40% to 45%, we had call birds in release pens up to the last shoots only a dozen in each pen.

Well i had 30,000 on 100 acres so not sure what any of you 'seasoned keepers' are on about??? :D

Chicken farming not proper shooting

It was a joke

Fair enough sorry. I am lucky enough to have two shoots on my land and I know putting the numbers people have been talking about is a recipe for disaster for the game and the environment.

• Like 1