Idiots! Shot Heron

Herons and cormerants are at plauge proportions around most waterways in the uk, a license can be obtained to cull but its restricted to a specified number. not condoning anything illegal but species numbers need controling when there having a direct effect on other wildlife and peoples livelyhood

Isn't that what the GL is for??

They done the same with Starlings way back when every Joe Bloggs was running round with an air rifle to the fact they were being found shot in the streets.

Granted the numbers went down but that's what the rules are there for.

It's obvious it happens unofficially on the QT but there's still no harm in doing it the official way and applying for the correct licence

Darryl

no its a seperate license, normally issued for fisheries protection,here http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/piscbirdreport0203monitoring_tcm6-4632.pdf

Hence why I said deal with it in the correct manor and apply for the correct licence.

In effect the Heron is a thief, what gives anyone the right to shoot it?

Do shopkeepers shoot thieves when the catch them?? No, they inform the authorities and do it by the book otherwise we'd have vigilante shopkeepers running amok.

Same goes for the bird in my eyes, dealt with in the correct manor shows responsibility.

Think about it!!

Darryl

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The tall end of it whether people like it or not is it happens.... Irresponsibility!! The people that shot it probably don't even know what the general licence is and I'd bet a months pay they only

First off, the OP is right to be annoyed that someone shot a heron on his permission, whichever way you cut the cake. If the bird had been flying to garden ponds and someone shot it with an airrifle

That's different all together. Why should a heron that's causing bother not be shot? Do you have a problem with pigeons or crows getting shot, if not then what's the difference?? I'm not interested ab

Herons and cormerants are at plauge proportions around most waterways in the uk, a license can be obtained to cull but its restricted to a specified number. not condoning anything illegal but species numbers need controling when there having a direct effect on other wildlife and peoples livelyhood

Isn't that what the GL is for??

They done the same with Starlings way back when every Joe Bloggs was running round with an air rifle to the fact they were being found shot in the streets.

Granted the numbers went down but that's what the rules are there for.

It's obvious it happens unofficially on the QT but there's still no harm in doing it the official way and applying for the correct licence

Darryl

no its a seperate license, normally issued for fisheries protection,here http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/piscbirdreport0203monitoring_tcm6-4632.pdf

Hence why I said deal with it in the correct manor and apply for the correct licence.

In effect the Heron is a thief, what gives anyone the right to shoot it?

Do shopkeepers shoot thieves when the catch them?? No, they inform the authorities and do it by the book otherwise we'd have vigilante shopkeepers running amok.

Same goes for the bird in my eyes, dealt with in the correct manor shows responsibility.

Think about it!!

Darryl

What about when its a BOP and you can't get a license? What do you do then, Grin and bare it?

Well as i said from the start in my mind its wrong the herons where doing no harm to the pond which is unfished iv been fishing for a few years my self more sea fishing but iv done abit of course fishing with my old man The heron is only doing what it nos to keep fit. Same as a buzzard/stoat/owl/cat or any other predator will kill anything that it can its only doing what comes natrural. If the heron was shot on a fishing lake and causing the owner some stress and money that would be a totally different ball game but the facts are someone is shooting on my permission and in my opinion they are in the wrong!!!

Maybe in time a similar thing will happen to one of you lads. Not saying i want it to but just see what your feelings are

Well as i said from the start in my mind its wrong the herons where doing no harm to the pond which is unfished iv been fishing for a few years my self more sea fishing but iv done abit of course fishing with my old man The heron is only doing what it nos to keep fit. Same as a buzzard/stoat/owl/cat or any other predator will kill anything that it can its only doing what comes natrural. If the heron was shot on a fishing lake and causing the owner some stress and money that would be a totally different ball game but the facts are someone is shooting on my permission and in my opinion they are in the wrong!!!

Maybe in time a similar thing will happen to one of you lads. Not saying i want it to but just see what your feelings are

It very possibly might mate, who can say for sure what the future holds.

What I can tell you for sure is though, I sure as hell wouldn't be phoning plod or the arsepca.

I have been asked by several fishermen if I can go and shoot herons and cormorants ,i have said you cant go round shooting any thing you like ,there reply was well we will go and buy a airgun then and do it our self's .

That's different all together. Why should a heron that's causing bother not be shot? Do you have a problem with pigeons or crows getting shot, if not then what's the difference?? I'm not interested about the legalities either cause that's a farce!!

hypothetically speaking if it wasnt illegal, then yes, cormorants and herons do a lot of damage to fisheries and if i had a vested intrest of any sort then they would be controlled, same as any other predatory pest and crop damaging vermin.

there not exactly on the endangered list...

Cormorants do alot more damage than heron's the herons just hunt the banks as the cormorant hunts every inch of the lake and nothing can escape it..

It very possibly might mate, who can say for sure what the future holds.

What I can tell you for sure is though, I sure as hell wouldn't be phoning plod or the arsepca.

Hmm I never said i had phone the (plod) or the rspca but i only put the topic on to get some advise :huh: iv told the land owner and we both are keeping a eye out for any trespassers and do them for that. If i had of reported it them like the land owner states you will not be shooting around there for a while as every time i get the rifle out il be stoped thinking its the fools :hunter:

good enough for it as far as im concerened i hate them with a passion.My pond has been on the receiveing end of visits from these pests a few times.And just because they are hanging around that area building a nest dosn't mean they are not flying into local peoples gardens and raiding ponds at night ect.Lucky for them that i live in a built up area or believe me id of put a 12 gauge into them everytime they come to inspect my pond.... protected or not!

• Like 2

correct me if i,m wrong but i know you need a licence to shoot cormo,s (i have one to shoot 5 birds per year,,JOKE,,)but i certainly didn,t know you could get a licence for herons,,i,ve not heard that one before ???

5 a year......how so you count that then...bang, bang,bang,bang, bang, bang, bang...1... Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang..2.... Lol

correct me if i,m wrong but i know you need a licence to shoot cormo,s (i have one to shoot 5 birds per year,,JOKE,,)but i certainly didn,t know you could get a licence for herons,,i,ve not heard that one before ???

5 a year......how so you count that then...bang, bang,bang,bang, bang, bang, bang...1... Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang..2.... Lol

my memory is awfull as is my eyesight :laugh: :laugh:

your wrong

Natural England will aim to determine whether a licence should be issued within ... Licences to shoot grey herons (Ardea cinerea) to reinforce scaring are ... Damage control: It is reasonable to consider that shooting fish-eating birds will reduce, ..... and Countryside Act 1981, any person who in order to obtain such a licence ...

Reading through the past few posts about Herons and Cormorants it seems obvious that one or two people are slightly confused about what is constituted as a pest. In fact the term 'pest' is often misused and in many cases only considered a 'pest' for three reasons:

1. It has no natural preditor due to its previous extinction (usually caused by man). As result the numbers have increased dramatically to such an extent that it has a detremental effect on other species within the eco system

2. It has a negative effect on industrial farming operations resulting in a net loss of crops (think Wood Pigeon) or where their large numbers can lead to the spoiling of stored foodstuff be it for animal or human consumption. Ironically it is often intensive farming practices that cause an increase in a particular species' numbers i.e large scale arable farming with high crop yields (but that's another story).

3. It is a non-native species that outcompetes or damages our native flora or fauna

In the case of the humble Heron, it has no natural preditor (other than perhaps the fox) and has developed methods of avoiding predation through nesting high above the ground in trees.

The Heron is only doing what it does naturally, it's a preditor, and a native one at that. To those people who complain and say "the bloody thing took all my koi carp" I say tough! Is it natural for you to house non native fish in an artificial pond? No.

I'd say in the case of Herons and Cormorants, it is man that has caused their population to increase through both commercial fisheries and hobbyists alike. Like intensive farming, they have increased their available food source and numbers have reacted accordingly

Should the poor Heron suffer as a result of man's desire to house fish? I don't think so. Control is needed in some cases but only where it is considered truly detremental to the eco system. That's why DEFRA are there to decide what is appropriate through their licencing schemes.

If I saw anyone shooting Herons without a licence I'd shop them straight away

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

my memory is awfull as is my eyesight :laugh: :laugh:
Lol.... So is my shooting until I can't afford to miss... Lol