Mole Spades

Any chance of a photo or two of your old mole spuds ? LOL

Here ye go earthy, this (rubbish) photo shows the new one I had made alongside one of the older ones. Walter re-shafted the old one for me and did a fine job :yes:

1354718622051_zps729da18d.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

got to say , if you boys are trapping with loads of traps in wet weather , you gonna have a hell of a job with trowels and knives, they soon get clogged up and hard to grip,a t handled mole spade can

Even when I have had a hundred traps running,,, I don't like spades,, I youse a trowel,,,, and ile be honest now, after I have probed and found wich direction the tunnel is running,, I stick my big fi

I use a Big knife, picked it up from a car boot works really well here's a video of it in action.  

I've also had a quick look at these:

http://www.uktraps.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=86

BUT, I'm reluctant to order one at the moment because of the obvious connections with Pro-Trapper. Time will tell, maybe when I'm a bit more flush I'll splash out on one just to see what they are like.

God, I'm a sucker for kit. :laugh:

Any chance of a photo or two of your old mole spuds ? LOL

Here ye go earthy, this (rubbish) photo shows the new one I had made alongside one of the older ones. Walter re-shafted the old one for me and did a fine job :yes:

1354718622051_zps729da18d.jpg

Matt,is that the same spade from the previous photo (leaning against quad),modified further,or not?

The one leaning against the quad is the new one made for me by Walter at Cheiftan Forge.

The one next to the new (blue one) in the kitchen is one of the two old ones shown in an earlier picture. The other (older) one has a spike on the end and cost me a packet.

The red one at UK Traps looks interesting, although I'm not in a position to risk wasting £18 on something that might never turn up at the moment. Perhaps once this white shit is out of the way I will be able to crack on and catch some moles. Hopefully I'll then be in a position to risk loosing £18 on a failed delivery.

If there is anyone near Felixstowe, you can go to UK Traps and collect one. If you do, please give us some feedback and photos.

Edited to add: in case it's not clear from the post above, the blue spade against the quad is the same blue spade in my kitchen.

Edited by Matt the Rat

The one leaning against the quad is the new one made for me by Walter at Cheiftan Forge.

The one next to the new (blue one) in the kitchen is one of the two old ones shown in an earlier picture. The other (older) one has a spike on the end and cost me a packet.

The red one at UK Traps looks interesting, although I'm not in a position to risk wasting £18 on something that might never turn up at the moment. Perhaps once this white shit is out of the way I will be able to crack on and catch some moles. Hopefully I'll then be in a position to risk loosing £18 on a failed delivery.

If there is anyone near Felixstowe, you can go to UK Traps and collect one. If you do, please give us some feedback and photos.

I like them all Matt,well worth doing.Believe it or not, i also recently discovered that one from UK Traps, LOL.Its a handy wee size,that four inch wide head on it.Now that youve revealed some info i wasnt aware of,i will no longer be considering it.

I'm not going to consider anything else until I get my mitts on one of those red babies. Even if it's no good, at least it'll give me some ideas.

Like traps, one day, someone will bring out the ultimate tool for the job :whistling: until then, us UK trappers will have to continue using second rate kit.

In my experience you rarely find the perfect tool for the job....., if your looking for something specific its much better to save the cash that would have been spent on the non starters and take a drawing of what you want to a local engineer, get one custom made to your own spec,......the red spade shown above...,well i wouldn't even give it room in my shed :)

I'm not going to consider anything else until I get my mitts on one of those red babies. Even if it's no good, at least it'll give me some ideas.

Like traps, one day, someone will bring out the ultimate tool for the job :whistling: until then, us UK trappers will have to continue using second rate kit.

I don't use second rate kit, I like to use the best there is, and its out there if you know what your looking for, as for that red shovel, their for sale in most shops in Skegness

I don't use second rate kit, I like to use the best there is, and its out there if you know what your looking for, as for that red shovel, their for sale in most shops in Skegness

Lol. With a castle shaped bucket

There has been no suggestion that anyone is a bad workmen and no one is blaming there tools..., the point of concern was purchasing a spade from a company that has obvious pro trapper links..., the red spade in question isn't even a Propper spade, it simply a plate welded onto a tubular handle....this is something that could easily be made in any local engineering workshop.

Here is mine.....

DSC00138.jpg

MoleSpade2.jpg

I started off using my wife's garden trowel (pictured) but the hard stoney ground took its toll so the farmer cut down an old spade for me. It looks very narrow compared to the others who have posted photos but I find it extremely easy to use and can do the keyhole surgery whilst standing. The only issue I have is the weight when I had to carry it and the other stuff about. Now they lend me a little tractor so weight isn't an issue.

The probe is an old sheep fence post with some 25mm steel tune welded on top. I use the tube to compact the tunnels when necessary.

• Like 1