Deaf lurcher, what to do with her

Not the dog in my avater, this dog is white with a few black speckles, from what I can make out, she's very dirty.

my old bitch sadly died age 17 two weeks ago she was deaf. teach her sign language the same as gundogs the dog will learn to look at you for directions.

best dog ive ever owened.

• Like 2

Not the dog in my avater, this dog is white with a few black speckles, from what I can make out, she's very dirty.

my old bitch sadly died age 17 two weeks ago she was deaf. teach her sign language the same as gundogs the dog will learn to look at you for directions.

best dog ive ever owened.

they soon pick it up tap on the side of leg come hand out forward go .. 2 simple ones thats all i worked with they watch your every move your there ears --they may be hard work till you get em goin the rewards are worth it ..

not being funny mate, but why .? when there is loads of (healthy) lurchers out there in the R/C that are going to put down, most have good, eye sight,not deaf, 4 legs, etc . After all a lurcher is a working dog bred to do a job, and that job is very hard on normal lurcher that are in proper health. i used to have bull breeds + heinz 57s before just as pets.The reason i got into lurchers was to own a working dog 1st, pet 2nd, and thats how i think it shold be owing a lurcher . i just dont get it keeping lurcher that are (not) physically sound to begin with , ok if they get hurt and they been a good working dog, yeh keep it as pet, but at least it was sound to start with :yes:

a deaf lurcher will work.. a blind terrier will work.. ;)

yeh but not as good as one thats (not) deaf .!

Bird you normally talk a lot of sense and im not having a dig here. What dog a man keeps is upto him he has to pay its feed house it ect. And how do you know it wont work aswell as any healthy dog ! Might turn out to be a very handy hound !!!

true mate, he got feed it + bond with it,( nothing to do with me), every body to there own thing :thumbs: , just i prefer to start with a 100% healthy pup or dog, hope it works out for him :yes:

Had a deaf terrier once, what a dog he was too. He learned hand signals, point at the floor and he would scent up and wave to him and that was his recall, really funny to watch but I had some fun with him.

If you want to keep the dog then good on you mate, the satisfaction you will get from him will be unmeasureable.......Well done. :victory:

Deaf dogs do work, sheepdogs, gundogs, even deaf racing greyhounds seem to be fine at there job at hand. I guess its like a deaf person they do overcome barriers and are able to hold there jobs down, obviously precautions are met. If your the patient type and in no rush to have a world beater than why not give it a go. If anything you would have a good story to tell and a knowledge in a area not many dogmen have exsperienced. good luck in your decision.

• 1 month later...

She is obviously not going make a working dog, she looks about a year old, was left at my gate (people do that) she is nice enough, looks like saluki/grey/collie/grey, I suspect deafness may be a merle gene thing, but her eyes are really deep dark saluki eyes, she is very timid, has pressure sores and looks like she has muscular degeneration as well as malnourished.

I would like to keep her, I can keep her housed alone, at least till disease is ruled out, and she should regain her health with feeding and excercise, I'm sure I could handle owning a deaf dog, but I am really conflicted.

I have a real soft spot for saluki/grey types, what do you think would be best to do, I don't want a 'pet' but she would be safe enough on my site and there are rabbits aplenty within my fenced field.

What does everyone think, honestly, I really need advise on what would be best for her, and has anyone found deaf lurchers to be 'safe', I think when lurchers get abused like her, we sort of owe it to them to care for them if possible.

Advice please, I really would like your opinions,

thanks

if you keep her get a collar with a vibrate on it not a dog i would keep but best of luck