Show us your home-made ferret court!

Guest ARTEMIS

Im thinking about making a court for my ever increasing Ferrets (addictive! :blink: )

The one thing that worrys me is the doors, how do you get inside without them all running out? :hmm: My lot used to jump onto me when my hutch door open sideways lol!

I was thinking alogn the lines of making the door like a stable door with the bottom half fixed? so i can climb over but they cant get out? any ideas?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im thinking about making a court for my ever increasing Ferrets (addictive! :blink: )

The one thing that worrys me is the doors, how do you get inside without them all running out? :hmm: My lot used to jump onto me when my hutch door open sideways lol!

I was thinking alogn the lines of making the door like a stable door with the bottom half fixed? so i can climb over but they cant get out? any ideas?

Build an double door thing you step into first then a second door to thge acutal run :) you only need it to be

big enough to turn round in so to speak :D

Guest MOLLY
How on earth did you manage to fit the perspex to the court?? I found even cutting the damn stuff an absolute nightmare!! :blink::blink: Any tips would be appreciated :D

It was drilled then screwed Jules, i cannot remember how he cut it now :hmm: ....ask Steve ;)

Hob&Jill Posted Today, 10:46 PM

I do have that problem, even with a half door they would climb up the mesh in a jiffy to the opening, though i suppose it buys you more time?

I have the ferret box handy to pop them straight into :D

MOLL.

i have a half door on mine and i fixed a flat piece of wood to the top of the bottom half so that it over hangs the inside edge they climb the mesh but then the edge acts like a mini roof and its just wide enought that they cant get round it but i can still step in this is much cheeper than the double door system and takes up less space but if cost and space r not a problem then the double door system is the best

will post pics of my new set up later, some may already have seen/remember I converted an old anderson shelter as my court with an outside enclosure, this is the bit im re doing so i can actually get in the outside section, as for stopping them all running out, instead of using wire on the inner door bit, i used an old worktop off cut,

as for cutting perspex theirs 2 easy ways, the 1st is a tile/perspex cutter, but you really need a proper glass cutting table to do it on, the 2nd is with either a very fine tooth panel saw, or the same in a jigsaw and cut very slowly

Cor,

this thread really should be called 'Pimp my Court'. Some nice looking set ups here.

Mine is still under construction and time is running out, only have 4-5 weeks before I pick up the kits.

This is how it looked a little while ago:

2cxizj7.jpg

and now with some of the shuttering and part of the floor laid:

5z2mvxl.jpg

Still alot of work to do. But by the end of this week, I am hoping to have the ceiling in and the front mesh done.

/Mad

Guest Lurchers2006

ARTEMIS since when do ferrets need all these toys for training purposes? :icon_eek: I know you have never had ferrets before but dont believe everthing you read in a book, if you ever plan on actually doing some ferreting you will find that books wont be much help, Oh and if you dont have enough room for a court ferrets will happily live in a nice big hutch :victory:

Guest MOLLY
Does anyone give them carrier bags in the ferret courts? Is it safe to leave them with these (can you tell I spend way too much time with little children!!!) :hmm:

You beat me to it....was gonna say they will have hours of fun with a carrier bag....the problem with ferrets is they get bored quite quickly with toys etc so you are constantly trying to find new things to amuse them, ive hung mesh hanging baskets from the roof, pipes, logs, you name it....but a carrier bag, you will wet your knickers laughing at them :yes::D

Ive never had one get stuck in a bag but im sure if they did their teeth and nails are more than adequate to free them.

If you dont have much room for a court build UP rather than out.

MOLL.

Does anyone give them carrier bags in the ferret courts? Is it safe to leave them with these (can you tell I spend way too much time with little children!!!) :hmm:

You beat me to it....was gonna say they will have hours of fun with a carrier bag....the problem with ferrets is they get bored quite quickly with toys etc so you are constantly trying to find new things to amuse them, ive hung mesh hanging baskets from the roof, pipes, logs, you name it....but a carrier bag, you will wet your knickers laughing at them :yes::D

Ive never had one get stuck in a bag but im sure if they did their teeth and nails are more than adequate to free them.

If you dont have much room for a court build UP rather than out.

MOLL.

I second the plastic bag thing.....Ferrets love em but they can be a real nuisance when your trying to clean them out.