Target Shooting In The Garden

Right, so I've got my new Daystate Air Ranger, and I'm shooting a few targets in the garden.

I then hear my next door neighbour, talking (or should I say moaning) to their next door neighbour about somebody shooting an air rifle/air pistol. :censored:

Here's the situation - There's a ten foot at the bottom of my garden, where people and cars, can both travel.

Where do I stand shooting down my garden, if I have a backstop (big converted chest of drawers) to prevent pellets leaving my property, or should I shoot back up the garden towards the house?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi buddy what you really need is some 4mm steel at the bottom of your back stop,believe me ! if you shoot in the same place time and time again this will gradually go through all the wood and duvet

I have had just this a couple of times. Last time when my boy was zeroing in his new scope. Only took a few shots and next thing we had old bill complete with blue lights outside. I asked them in to

You've got the right answers from the other lads here Kurt. If the neighbours are using cannabis, you could try the pro-active approach and tell them YOU will call the police on their behalf, to insp

Legally.....

As long as your pellet does not leave your boundry your fine :yes:

Unfortunately......

Should your moaning minnie neighbour complain to the police, you will be paid a vist! But heres the kicker (right in the nuts), if she claims to the police that she feels endangered, you are then comitting an offence and can (although I've not actually heard of anyone) be prosecuted :cray: have you a silencer on the gun? If so you may be better off shooting paper targets with a lead sheet or sand behind them to muffle the impact :thumbs:

Tony

I have had just this a couple of times. Last time when my boy was zeroing in his new scope. Only took a few shots and next thing we had old bill complete with blue lights outside.

I asked them in to see the safety precautions we had taken (backstop etc.) and they went off quite happily to tell the nosey neighbour we were doing nothing wrong.

You are 100% within your rights to shoot in your own garden as long as you take the necessary precautions to stop any pellet leaving your boundary. (and that includes any ricochets!)

Enjoy your plinking.

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick reply Tony. Yes, the gun is silenced, the only slight bit of noise is from the impact of the pellet.

Do you think it would help matters if I show them my 'target' and maybe explain that there is no chance of them being injured. The fence is 6ft high that divides us too, so there's no we they should feel threatened :victory:

Thanks Walshie. Knowing this cheers me up :boogy:

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm not sure they would go to the police, as they may get nicked themselves for being extremely heavy cannabis users,lol

:laugh: :laugh:

Might be worth pointing out to them that you are doing it safely, just to save any unnecessary aggro. I didn't with my neighbours but then I don't even talk to them.

Edited by walshie
  • Like 1

You've got the right answers from the other lads here Kurt. If the neighbours are using cannabis, you could try the pro-active approach and tell them YOU will call the police on their behalf, to inspect your target set-up, if that reassures them all is in safe order?

Somehow, I don't think they'll take you up on it.

Shoot on my friend. As long as you have every reasonable measure in place (backstops) to prevent shots going out of bounds and no risk of ricochet, you are well within your right to plink away in your back garden.

Pianoman

• Like 2

Its true what everyone is saying, i had complaints and a visit from the Police, and they couldnt of been happier that i was safe and had a decent back stop, idealy one that chatches the pellets so you can prove non have gone awol over the fence, and the police were happy! i even asked if there was a number to ring to give them notice i was zeroing that night and they said not to bother they were happy for me to do it when ever!

Atb

• Like 2

The police have just been :huh:

Apparently there were 2 complaints last night :hmm:

1 was a noise complaint, and the other, apparently somebody was struck with a pellet and they believe it came from my address :hmm:

I guess I must of missed my 6ft by 4ft backstop and shot one through the 3/4 of an inch gap in the fence and hit the passer by :cray:

Something tells me the passer by was slightly exagerating as I'm sure if he was him by a .22 pellet at 20 metres, I would possibly be getting tazered and not posting on this wall :angel:

He didn't even ask to see my gun :cray:

Considder yourself very lucky :yes:

Many Police officers would use the chance to take into custody your guns and send them away for testing in the hope of an easy +1 on their file :yes:

Luckily there are some decent level headed officers who are able to see beyond the scaremongering from the media :thumbs:

Watch the noise complaint though if you live in a council house or housing association :yes: Even in private accomodation though. the council can make it awkward, if not difficult to continue. The fact that the Police are not concearned with your shooting goes imensley in your favour though :notworthy:

Tony

This is my air rifle:-

MyNewToy-1.jpg

What I don't get is the noise complaint. It's fitted with a Weihrauch silencer and it's sooooooooo quiet. It's a PCP so there's no loud spring twanging etc.

Think they're just moaning about anything they can, because they know there's not alot they can do :censored:

Edited by KurtH
  • Like 1

Would sugest you chrono your gun, just incase the police turn stroppy and take it for a test, its not unknown for guns to wear in just over the limit ;)

It's not even had 40 pellets through it yet, so think it will be ok for now, but I'll definately keep an eye on it :victory:

This is my air rifle:-

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/cheekyplums/MyNewToy-1.jpg

What I don't get is the noise complaint. It's fitted with a Weihrauch silencer and it's sooooooooo quiet. It's a PCP so there's no loud spring twanging etc.

Think they're just moaning about anything they can, because they know there's not alot they can do :censored:

Do you have a noisy backstop?

Can beleive I've just asked that :-)