Target Shooting In The Garden

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi buddy what you really need is some 4mm steel at the bottom of your back stop,believe me ! if you shoot in the same place time and time again this will gradually go through all the wood and duvet

I have had just this a couple of times. Last time when my boy was zeroing in his new scope. Only took a few shots and next thing we had old bill complete with blue lights outside. I asked them in to

You've got the right answers from the other lads here Kurt. If the neighbours are using cannabis, you could try the pro-active approach and tell them YOU will call the police on their behalf, to insp

Would sugest you chrono your gun, just incase the police turn stroppy and take it for a test, its not unknown for guns to wear in just over the limit ;)

It's not even had 40 pellets through it yet, so think it will be ok for now, but I'll definately keep an eye on it :victory:

Yes :yes Chrono it regularly :thumbs:

Hi guys

I'm not to sure of the rules regarding council properties?

My understanding was you had to get written permission from the landlord/owner to shoot on what is essentially their property?

I'm preparing myself to be corrected :-)

Be gentle

Chris

Depends on the council :yes:

EYRC whome I was under was generally tollerant as long as I kept within the law and didn't cause distress or noise nusiance :)

This is my air rifle:-

http://i67.photobuck.../MyNewToy-1.jpg

What I don't get is the noise complaint. It's fitted with a Weihrauch silencer and it's sooooooooo quiet. It's a PCP so there's no loud spring twanging etc.

Think they're just moaning about anything they can, because they know there's not alot they can do :censored:

They are complaining of the noise caused by the pellet hitting home or the noise created as your targets fall.

Tony

This is my air rifle:-

http://i67.photobuck.../MyNewToy-1.jpg

What I don't get is the noise complaint. It's fitted with a Weihrauch silencer and it's sooooooooo quiet. It's a PCP so there's no loud spring twanging etc.

Think they're just moaning about anything they can, because they know there's not alot they can do :censored:

Do you have a noisy backstop?

Can beleive I've just asked that :-)

Not now I don't. Luckily I decided to make the backstop today. It's a chest of drawers, which I have taken the backing off, and turned around, therefore creating 5 different shelves/levels that I can shoot at. This is packed with an old duvet and an old rug.

Behind the backstop is a dismantled bed headboard and bed footboard.

A shotgun wouldn't get through it, let alone a pellet,lol

The police have just been :huh:

Apparently there were 2 complaints last night :hmm:

1 was a noise complaint, and the other, apparently somebody was struck with a pellet and they believe it came from my address :hmm:

I guess I must of missed my 6ft by 4ft backstop and shot one through the 3/4 of an inch gap in the fence and hit the passer by :cray:

Something tells me the passer by was slightly exagerating as I'm sure if he was him by a .22 pellet at 20 metres, I would possibly be getting tazered and not posting on this wall :angel:

He didn't even ask to see my gun :cray:

If they truly believed that your pellet had hit someone, they would have taken your gun there and then, as that is a proper criminal offence. What a load of :censored: . They make up these blatant lies to get a response. As you say, at 20m, they'd probably be in hospital, not whinging about the noise.

As far as the noise complaint, unless you have your target attached to a metal bucket, that is also rubbish. As you know persistent noise complaints are investigated by some council jobsworth with a microphone, and I doubt he would have much to record.

Just make sure you don't stop doing what you are legally entitled to and let the nosey neighbours think they have won.

Since the last visit from the old bill, I find I need to zero my air rifle a lot more than before, so does my son!

• Like 1

The police have just been :huh:

Apparently there were 2 complaints last night :hmm:

1 was a noise complaint, and the other, apparently somebody was struck with a pellet and they believe it came from my address :hmm:

I guess I must of missed my 6ft by 4ft backstop and shot one through the 3/4 of an inch gap in the fence and hit the passer by :cray:

Something tells me the passer by was slightly exagerating as I'm sure if he was him by a .22 pellet at 20 metres, I would possibly be getting tazered and not posting on this wall :angel:

He didn't even ask to see my gun :cray:

If they truly believed that your pellet had hit someone, they would have taken your gun there and then, as that is a proper criminal offence. What a load of :censored: . They make up these blatant lies to get a response. As you say, at 20m, they'd probably be in hospital, not whinging about the noise.

As far as the noise complaint, unless you have your target attached to a metal bucket, that is also rubbish. As you know persistent noise complaints are investigated by some council jobsworth with a microphone, and I doubt he would have much to record.

Just make sure you don't stop doing what you are legally entitled to and let the nosey neighbours think they have won.

Since the last visit from the old bill, I find I need to zero my air rifle a lot more than before, so does my son!

I said to the copper, when I've made my permanent target at the bottom of the garden, I'm going to ring them up and they can come and inspect it. He just said 'To be honest, you're better off not doing it, you don't want to upset your new neighbours do you?'

Cheeky :censored:

I'm gonna wait to shoot on a day when the smell of weed is rife, courtesy of my pot smoking neighbour, and then I'll ring the police for them to come and inspect my backstop :boogy:

If that was me now I,d do all my shooting at the range from now on , you don't need problems with the Boys in Blue . Now your neighbours & Police have been alerted to your hobby your a marked man lol.

What range do you use matey?

If you watch the Monty Python And The Holy Grail movie, there is a sequence where a woman is being accused of being a Witch and the villagers want her tried for witchcraft. Sir Bedevere asks "How do you know she's a witch? To which come a bewildering series of replies and one villager says "Well,she turned me into a Newt....I got better...!

This is no less the same bloody bullshit here with Kurt's neighbours!

Someone got shot, at 20 metres? But they got better??

Next time there's a strong wiff of weed in the air, call the police and complain like hell to the council or the landlord, whoever owns their property that you will Sue them to hell and back for aiding and abetting a crime and running a house of ill-repute if they don't intervene.

After all, they are happy to stop your fun.....

Pianoman

• Like 2

hi buddy

what you really need is some 4mm steel at the bottom of your back stop,believe me !

if you shoot in the same place time and time again this will gradually go through all the wood and duvet and head board, if not inspected regularly.

i used to use a A4 size piece of 25mm ply/mdf with a paving slab,until recently.

because i stapled a A4 sheet of paper with 10mm targets on it,the same place was getting hit time & time again! until i noticed had gone through the ply/mdf and had started to wear the paving slab.

so luckily i found a 15mm slab of steel on a job and use this now in stead of the ply/mdf,all my neighbours here is a slight ting!!

would strongly advise you change your back stop for metal :thumbs: before some one dose get hurt :hmm:

• Like 3

I'd air on the side of caution my friend. Thats a fabulous piece of equipment that quite possibly represents some investment on your part. Enjoy it. On a different day, with a different police officer, you could have been left with a receipt for it.... Thank heavens for common sense on the part of the officer dealing. But heed your warning & save it for the permissions & ranges.

If you fancy a run out, Bridlington Rifle & Pistol Club are a friendly bunch. 25m indoor range, & access to an outdoor range @ Wkends. See their website for more ;

http://www.bridlingtonrifleandpistolclub.co.uk/

Edited by Whizzie
  • Like 1

Are you a member of BASC?. If not i would join. You get 10 million pounds of public and product liability insurance, and if you ever need good advice they are just on the end of the phone. Plus it sounds more proffesional if you mention all the above if the Cops call.

• Like 2