UP THE DALES ,,, done the ton again

Never knocked the lads or there dogs just keeping it real.

Fair point Weasle..i've only ever caught over a hundred twice in my life and i ain't no spring chicken lol and both times down in the Dales so that does tell some sort of story?...BUT to be honest i'd never even been down there until 3 or 4 years ago and having had superior hounds to what i now own i can only dream of what might of been?...i've had lots of other good scores from different areas but there just wasn't the same amount of bunnies to run and therefore obviously the end result is going to be therefore less? I know Markbrick has scored 100+ this season with several of his jukels...are they also easier down in Cornwall then? He and others say not,i can't at this moment comment but to me anyways i say it's a hell of a feat whatever way? I've been hunting long enough to know that even if game is abundant it will not just jump into the bag!!! There is some serious hard graft from canine/s and men to amass results of this ilk? ATB Andy. ;)

Patently obvious to anyone who actually runs regularly, the dogs don't just go out and catch the rabs, schooling, training, fitness, conditioning, diet, getting the gear in front of the dogs, having the time and determination to do all these and more (for both man and mutt). THEN, you've still got to have the land, conditions and possibly a bit of luck to bag up.

As I said/asked earlier, who else is doing it (MB excepted LOL), I know I'm certainly not as dedicated as these lads, although several on here say they are, where are they? :whistling::bad:

Cheers, D.

Didn't think of that :icon_redface: Wow you are a genius.You should write a book or something.

Weasle your chains gonna come off your back peddling so much :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PS Sorry Moll :tongue2:

Cheers, D

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

had a cracking night last night with poacherspocket, and his sons frankel, and ginnyspinner frankel had don, and ginnyspiner had the labradoor ,,, the plan was to drop frankel and ginny on one far

im supriced at the few people that think its easy ,,, let me just add we were at it from 9 pm til around 4 am,, then driving round pic up points, then hanging them on the gate ect,,,, left the land

well you have a point to a certain degree doggy bag,, and i suppose if your judging a lurcher it should be on all round ability,, unless of course it is a purpose bred dog...   you will notice thr

You lads are changing the tune now a bit now you are the heros,The point i was making was the rabbits being easier caught by the dog.While all the hero worshippers were admiring all the rabbits on the gate,I took my average dog for a walk around,The boundry fence of a field she missed 2 out of 16,EASY RABBITS.The other side of the feild is a big bank and foll of brambles and no fence the dog managed 2 out of 7 or 8HARD RABBITS.Any way the total for a 2hour walk was 18.Tonight i could walk 3 hours around a golf course and run twice as many rabbits but i wouldnt catch one with that dog.That is why the numbersgame is flawed.So yes your right the hard part is the carrying guttin g and skinning.

changing out tune :blink: im confused...... changing our tune from what??

as for the rabbits some we catch up there are easy,,as i have said in the past,,,, some however are not,,,,

you yourself have just said you cought some easy and some hard rabbits last night,,,, just the same for us the night before.

but when your talking about such a big score,,,, of course the human part comes in to play,,,, its hard physical graft over many hours and many miles,, and hills.

never been called a hero before,,,,,thanks :icon_redface:

Tomo couple of questions. who is the poor bloke who guts them and do you have to airlift that many rabbits to the game dealers?????

Dogs that catch and retrieve that many rabbits consistently are few and far between. im not in the numbers game cos im not game enough but i have a lot of respect for you lads who are,

All the best for the new year

im very fortunate to sell my rabbits hole, guts in and frozen,,, :thumbs:

You lads are changing the tune now a bit now you are the heros,The point i was making was the rabbits being easier caught by the dog.While all the hero worshippers were admiring all the rabbits on the gate,I took my average dog for a walk around,The boundry fence of a field she missed 2 out of 16,EASY RABBITS.The other side of the feild is a big bank and foll of brambles and no fence the dog managed 2 out of 7 or 8HARD RABBITS.Any way the total for a 2hour walk was 18.Tonight i could walk 3 hours around a golf course and run twice as many rabbits but i wouldnt catch one with that dog.That is why the numbersgame is flawed.So yes your right the hard part is the carrying guttin g and skinning.

as for the rabbits some we catch up there are easy,,as i have said in the past,,,, some however are not,,,,

you yourself have just said you cought some easy and some hard rabbits last night,,,, just the same for us the night before.

but when your talking about such a big score,,,, of course the human part comes in to play,,,, its hard physical graft over many hours and many miles,, and hills.

Your welcome,Imagine if me and whin came up there,we would need a football pitch not a gate :D Keep impressing the easly immpressed :thumbs:

you no when there was numbers were were all the lads on here ,on rabbs , a hard nite up the borders was drive to hill lamp along edge of cover dog cacht or missed twenty to thirty in these big grass feilds a good dog can take more clapping early season as the season goes on it gets harder ,then drive with old landrover to next bit do the same if you want all nite till batts die , now this is all legal , good grass land hilly but dogs learn to do it , it was hard but never found killing cacthing game hard ,saw my subaru full some nites 104, 111 see when the fechers gave you 50 to 75 p a rabb it made me sicken ,then started getten busy on other game etc ,but still took a jaunt up the hills like the dales but never ever thought hard work , as there no presure, nobody bothering ,you great fun,if it was real hard i dont think half woul;d do it,its a nite out on land you have legaly to work the dogs test them in a relaxed manner , its a diffrent ball game

welldone lads,credit due were credits due,if they were that easy everybody would be putting pics up of the same,as hunting rabbits is legal so your braking no laws for putting pics up,dogs have run good and nice to see the pup doing well :D theres plenty of folk also have nights up the dales and dont do so well so they arnt as easy as some may think

My opinion for what its worth..... any cur worth its keep should be able to be conditioned to take big bags of rabbits. However we all have different opinions on what is worth keeping in our kennels!!!!!

I have have no desire to put that many rabbits to rest I just would not enjoy myself.

But its no easy task with the carrying etc.

Well done lads :thumbs:

dazz my freind do you call catching rabbits with a lamp dog permision hard , cmon

WHIN MY FRIEND LOL,,,, why is it hard to give folk a bit of credit,,,,no one said these are the hardest of rabbits,

including the lads that where there,,, but they put the hours in,,,, the expense,have the dogs in good nick,,,

and last but not least they have carried the feckers (and yes ive been there so i know what im talking about)

all the above deserve a bit of credit surerly???? i wouldnt mind if they came on and said our dogs are the best

in the counrty or no other lads/dogs could do it,,,,but they dont they just put good post's on about catching

numbers,,,where would a site like this be without post's like these????

GO ON WHIN SAY WELL DONE YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO !!!

• Like 1

a man once said to us

catching rabbits on the dales compared to nice lowland flat fields was like

catching white hares in scotland compared to hares on the fens,

not taking out away from the lads its a good shift but more credit goes to the lads gettin out there and puttinig the rabbits in front of the dogs then the dogs,

well done lads,

dazz my freind do you call catching rabbits with a lamp dog permision hard , cmon

ile say again ,, whin wandering around them fells for 7 hours + aint easy,,,, and aint relaxing :laugh: as you said on your other post,,,, and it aint catching 40 odd like you and p duglas did,,,,

shure some rabbits are easy court,,, some made the dog look stupid, and some gave the dog a run up and down like a bloody course....

it was a good night i enjoyed , but not relaxed about :laugh:

• Like 1

if you have to wander for seven hours between three or four men and dogs to catch a big bag of rabbits fair play to you ,but some get the wrong idea ,if its a feat .rabbits to me are realing only legal qaurry left ,its something ive never gave it much thought about after you have seen thousands , but some people like all the stories rabbs on gates etc ye some rabbits do test the dog ,but in general nothing like a strong hare in winter ,had 27 from house this week and sundries but never think of hanging up on a fence post mate,no nets just bolting along hedgerows good sport etc

Never been jealous in my life,Messing with a 100 rabbits wouldn't be my idea of fun,and thats why i have a dog or two.My first post said well done or words to the effect.All i did was make it more interesting than 3 pages of" well done" or "When i go lamping i only see 1 rabbit :cry: " posts.Notice no name calling or bitching.