Pre-set or traditional?

Tiercel

This is not a question about which is the better system as you may think. Rather what came first? We are led to believe that the pre-set net is a pretty modern invention, but, is it? Or has it just been reinvented?

I have my own thought on this, but I would like to hear some of yours.

TC

I cant say I really care which came first, but both are an excellent bit of kit to the rabbiter. I ma usre you didnt have longnet baskets 50 years ago made from purpose welded steel with a posh plastic coating..lol

Of late I have started using a traditional more and more and really love it, on a clean set using a nylon 4z or similar is a real good killing bit of kit :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by Sirius

I couldn't really answer this question in full as i haven't used a quickset system but they do seem a good bit of kit.I try to stay traditional but could see my self investing in a 50 yrd quickset.Either way they still do the same job at the end of the day.

so everyone to there own.

atb shaun :thumbs:

hes not mentioned quick set hes talking pre set, that could be a 10 yd net on 3 poles wrapped around each other with no basket.

but surely until its attached to poles, its a traditional net :hmm:

cant argue with that can i. :laugh:

There seems to be some confusion as what a quick-set and a pre-set net is? Shall we say for the sake of agument that a pre-set is a quick-set without the basket?

IMHO a quick or pre-set net without the poles is just a sheet of net. For it to be a traditional net it would need to be on endpins and the running line sewn or spliced into a continuous loop.

TC

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is a big one, down to personal preference, most people who have a quickset own a traditional net, truth is these nets have been around for a long time in one form or another, preset was what the old man used to use in awkward places, it was a traditional net set then tied up, bottom line to top with a slip type knot, when pulled sharply from one end, the bottom line fell free from the top, dad used to use it on less favourable nights, he would set the net then tie it up two days before setting it, and leave it in place rabbits would run under net onto field, then the old man would sneak in pull the line and set the net with no noise or fuss, it worked too but I remember nets made up with old stemming sticks from the mine, which closely resembled the quicksets of today, I use both but find a 100 yd quick set net in a basket bad on the back at night, but traditional no probs, the original quick set was fastened to poles and you used to tie em up , I think they were much better and will put one together again this year, basically each to his own