Right then... :whistling:

I been having a bash.. I used 2" by 1" as that's all I could get hold of easily at the time, so had to change a few of the measurements, then followed all the instructions.. tweaked a few, took a few shortcuts but got there in the end.. this afternoon I got all the framework up and bolted loosely together, basically to check what I had already done was right !! apart from two little mis cuts about 3mm, (that's me being anal) all is looking good, so I took some pics..

crows004.jpg

crows003.jpg

crows002.jpg

crows001.jpg

The ladder I made is for crows, 150mm gaps, but I need to sort some magpies out before anything else, late last night when I was having a cuppa in the workshop, I spied a bit of heavy duty weldmesh, and had a bright idea, the weldmesh looked about right for the ladder and I remembered someone saying something about wire on the ladder, so I measured it. then checked it over my ladder gaps, when cut into squares and placed over the gaps it creates 72 mm gaps, (magpies needing 75mm) close enough methinks...

crows009.jpg

crows008.jpg

crows007.jpg

crows006.jpg

There they are in place, I haven't stapled them on yet as painting was needed..

Which brings me on to.. Ronseal Onecoat shed and fence stuff... does the job !!

I stripped all the sections back down and gave them a once over..

crows016.jpg

crows013.jpg

crows019.jpg

Tommorow (maybe today, looking at time) I'm going to be bashing my fingers trying to get small staples into chicken wire...

• Like 1

Tommorow (maybe today, looking at time) I'm going to be bashing my fingers trying to get small staples into chicken wire...

If you're going to be doing much of this sort of thing a staple gun is well worth the money. Saves me hours.

I like the ladder modification wires - be good to see how they perform. thumbs.gif

If your thinking of using your ladder trap for jackdaws, a tip for stopping them getting back out is to hang chicken wire tunnels downwards so they cant get the angle to launch themselves back out. They are suprisingly agile when it comes to getting out of tight spaces, probably why they nest in chimneys. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

right then!! sorry to take so long!!! have things going on that I could be doing without tbh!! but anyway!!

Wire dividers, painted :icon_redface: and stapled on!!

june2011072.jpg

june2011073.jpg

three sides up and in place, that was last week..!!

june2011106.jpg

got meself a staple gun and stapled the lot...

Was a bit lost with plans for the top, as I need to move the trap to a few different locations, so came up with my own variation... piano hinged and framed these, they bolt into place!! I made them when the wood was wet, and they have warped somewhat!!

june2011215.jpg

I made an effort and got it all together this morning!! run out of ronseal stuff, so it went up without it, or it woulda been another reason not to finish it !!

june2011219.jpg

Why, why was I in a rush today to get it up!!, I got yipping to farmer next door to me yesterday, he started on about his magpies, how they been in taking his eggs, he's had 9 in the last 5 days in a larsen... I said, "fck that's why my bait hasn't been going down so quick" he's been catching em!! There was 11-12 around here, I've been counting em, ready for 'my Big catch' then over the last week, they seem to have dwindled out!!

So, anyway... it's up first thing :whistling: this morning!!

june2011225.jpg

tis Saturday... missus is home, wanting me to do some gardening, clean out the potting shed, she says!! :big_boss: get me plants in!! mutters something in passing, "you're like a big kid, watching that trap" If I so much as went for a piss or a cuppa, she mumbled. checking the trap again are ya !! :tongue2:

Well, it's working !! :toast:

june2011228.jpg

june2011235.jpg

I hope they're still in there in the morning, or my mate is gonna be taking the piss outa me, he came down and said, why haven't they got out of them big holes yet !! :thumbs:

;)

• Like 1

How much did it cost you may ask!!

43p a metre 2" be 1" approx 100 metres.. = £43.00

50m of 1/2" chicken wire (seconds :whistling: ) £34.00 ebay..

2 boxes of staples that's 2,500 staples £5.00 ish ( I found a stapler in me garage)

1 bag 50mm wire nails.. couple a quid..

tin of Ronseal, £5.00 in a boot sale..

set of chisels, cheapos coz i didn't have any £15.00

so about £100, for a couple of magpies !!

Catching my first magpie !! PRICELESS !!! :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

whacking a 1/2" staple into my bone on my index finger !! and squealing like a bitch woulda been priceless to anyone else that was there... :blink: