fresh water eels.

Guest rodsmith

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out one sunday after ducks and decided to try up a small but deep river in my

boat,got up about 300yards when the boat stopped dead in the water,the two of us near fell out.

We hit an eel net that streched across the river,there was about 20 or so eels in it,

we released all but the biggest one,had it for my tea! it was just over 4lb.

The net is a great bit of kit,very well constructed.Its a Y shape.They dont have a chance at all.

Think its ilegal but its at home in my shed.

No wonder there a shortage of eels.

Edited by breffni
Guest rodsmith
I was out one sunday after ducks and decided to try up a small but deep river in my

boat,got up about 300yards when the boat stopped dead in the water,the two of us near fell out.

We hit an eel net that streched across the river,there was about 20 or so eels in it,

we released all but the biggest one,had it for my tea! it was just over 4lb.

The net is a great bit of kit,very well constructed.Its a Y shape.They dont have a chance at all.

Think its ilegal but its at home in my shed.

No wonder there a shortage of eels.

surely it catches other fish species? do you have to bait it? can you PM me a photo of the net??

all i do is fish for predators.was fishing for eels,caught them around caversham but very dodgy as theres gangs of them smelly pakis walking the banks!! :gunsmilie:
Its same on the s.yorks canal nr medowhall alot of the pensioners have stopped fishing it after having their tackle stolen by gangs of asian youths funny though you never see them in winter [bANNED TEXT] its cold.atvb
Guest rodsmith
all i do is fish for predators.was fishing for eels,caught them around caversham but very dodgy as theres gangs of them smelly pakis walking the banks!! :gunsmilie:
Its same on the s.yorks canal nr medowhall alot of the pensioners have stopped fishing it after having their tackle stolen by gangs of asian youths funny though you never see them in winter [bANNED TEXT] its cold.atvb

nor daylight,the dirty,stinking foriegn b*****ds!!! always have my filleting knife handy just incase.was tempted to take my humane killer a few years ago.

Practically all lakes with feeder streams have them. You want somewhere 15 years old at least IMO....

half a gudgeon legered under the rod tip in the margins sorts the pythons out. Looking forward to doing a bit of eeeling this season myself...JD

dissagree :icon_redface: . must be i tidal river near.we got some of the finest chalk stream/rivers in the country round here,along with some excellent lakes for the specimen hunters.99% are fed by feeder steams.no eels though! i know most of the river keepers in the area through doing the mink hounds,the nearest keeper to have seen/caught an eel is miles away.how i wish we had them here.bait wise i use lob worm or roach head or have done well on chunks of fish. :thumbs:

Theres no tidal river near me, jesus, maybe 20 miles away from the ponds i visit, but i doubt an eel could travel that far, unless he got a bus pass! IMO the largest of the eels are land locked. Going to do some eeling this year , will post some pics.... :whistling:

dissagree :icon_redface: . must be i tidal river near.

Eh?

I saw one about 5' long and thick as my arm swimming up the Teme at Tenbury Wells, and that's not tidal, not unless the sea level's risen 400' :laugh:

foreign b*****ds, want drowning, i fish for pike in a local reservoir and came accross 2 eel traps that ive thrown away to hopefully starve the c**ts and i think to my knowledge dont hold any eels but could be wrong, also one of my pals once found abit of tackle with throw away barbies on the river aire hidden in a bush with a good 10lb line on so f**k knows what they were have to but it wont pike with the other stuff that was there,
dissagree :icon_redface: . must be i tidal river near.

Eh?

I saw one about 5' long and thick as my arm swimming up the Teme at Tenbury Wells, and that's not tidal, not unless the sea level's risen 400' :laugh:

love fishing round that area tenbury,also the middle severn at applely good eels there on dead gudgeon,not forgetting the wye at lidbrook [ross].every summer the old ledger rods come out ,you always see people casting into the distance when the big eels are under there feet,running the edge for fry and leaches .....steve

Guest rodsmith

as we let most the foriegn b*****ds in our country and have allowed them to breed(although not intentionally with our women!!!),i think we should have a season to hunt them.wouldnt that be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;):clapper::clapper:

love fishing round that area tenbury,also the middle severn at applely good eels there on dead gudgeon,not forgetting the wye at lidbrook [ross].every summer the old ledger rods come out ,you always see people casting into the distance when the big eels are under there feet,running the edge for fry and leaches .....steve

Is the Peacock stretch at Tenbury still day ticket night moocher? That's where I saw the eel and it was only a metre off the bank.....

Guest rodsmith

you are so right steve.why is it everyone seems to place a bait as far away as possible.i seem to have better luck fishing the near bank for what ever i catch.

i reckon these bloody crayfish are down to some of the bigger eels.the waters i know of that have/are producing big eels are teaming with crayfish and the eels that i have removed to be jellied have each had alot of crayfish in their stomachs.

off the subject of eels.i took the boys down the nature reserve yesterday to feed the ducks,never seen a single fish in the water untill then,its full of carp,big carp.there were some well in the 20lb bracket.needless to say i returned and baited 3 swims with some particle baits,its private,no one can fish it but guess where i will be late tonight or early tomorrow morning.this is totally unlike me but if anyone else saw the size/weight and the ammount of big carp i did,they too would chance it.see a koi too.must have escaped from a pond.got a photo on my phone of it,that looked near 10lb.

tight lines,Rod..

Is the Peacock stretch at Tenbury still day ticket night moocher? That's where I saw the eel and it was only a metre off the bank.....

westbrook caravan park 2/3 miles before tenbury dose day ticket and also the peacock still a good venue .

if you want big eels get to lower lydbrook on the wye by the old pumping station ,park just off the gates and walk over the field to the river ,you can pay at mr crouche's house or wait for someone to come down[ some times they dont know your there ]..no less than 8lb line or you get smashed believe it or not ,some good barble there too..............steve