How long would you

Well i attended the welsh game fair at the weekend and have to say i enjoyed it immensley

While having the craic with some of the lads there the subject of holding back terriers came up

after listening to the guys and their reasons for doing it and for how long etc .

i thought i would throw it on here and see what everyone elses ideas on the subject are ??

so tell me how long would you hole them back ? why would you hold them back ?

best age to start them at "real work"?

yis fellman

Edited by fellman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread Felly :good:

My terriers dont do real terrier work...and before anyone jumps on me..........its all in the name TERRA....they just mooch about, rabbit, odd rat ect ect

So as a totally uneducated guess, I would let them self enter when/if they seemed ready and mature/big enough to cope with the expected punishment level.

You would obviously hold back a very game pup so as not to get it smashed, but all dogs (like people :whistle:) mature at different rates

So thats clear then :blink:

JOEB

Good thread Felly :good:

My terriers dont do real terrier work...and before anyone jumps on me..........its all in the name TERRA....they just mooch about, rabbit, odd rat ect ect

So as a totally uneducated guess, I would let them self enter when/if they seemed ready and mature/big enough to cope with the expected punishment level.

You would obviously hold back a very game pup so as not to get it smashed, but all dogs (like people :whistle:) mature at different rates

So thats clear then :blink:

JOEB

I hold back but not totaly.I expect a well bred terrier to enter early he will be worked very lightly and sensibly easy earths shallow easy dug places where a bolt can also be expected.Holding back dogs to long can be as dangerous as early entering either causing them to become over eager or to go stale.JMO

I have 4 young patts at the mo.I wont let them into a hole til at least 14 months,or until I think their ready.The 1st time is under supervision,at 16 months and after a few looks and light involvement later, I expect them to start becoming keen and show some bit of interest in ground work.I would rather start them at an age when most terriers are mature enough to handle the situation,any earlier and they may be put off and spoilt,but some dogs I've heard of started earlier than this and became dependable workers.

I have 4 young patts at the mo.I wont let them into a hole til at least 14 months,or until I think their ready.The 1st time is under supervision,at 16 months and after a few looks and light involvement later, I expect them to start becoming keen and show some bit of interest in ground work.I would rather start them at an age when most terriers are mature enough to handle the situation,any earlier and they may be put off and spoilt,but some dogs I've heard of started earlier than this and became dependable workers.

Mate -I would be interested to know how you supervise a dog under ground as its totally on its own ,or should be .Do you mean you choose the earth carefully which is good practise for a pup .Keep them winning at any age ,within reason and the seed is sown for a good career .Some strains of terrier are notorious for early starting whereas some are annoyingly late .A good stockman will know when to enter to proper work by the way the pup is around others and the willingness to show interest when taken out to watch others at work .A pup that is continually testing its elders ,and I mean boisterous to the extreme will benefit from an early start even if it is held back later .The birthdate of pups effects the starting sometimes .

all my futer terriers are not going near an earth untill they are 2 years of age from now on and are tottaly mature both physicaly and mentally .... there have been a fair few instances of this over the last coupkle of years that have led me to this desicion .........

all my futer terriers are not going near an earth untill they are 2 years of age from now on and are tottaly mature both physicaly and mentally .... there have been a fair few instances of this over the last coupkle of years that have led me to this desicion .........

Socks-

I respect your decision mate but will it leave you wondering whether or not you have missed a season of work from the dog .I in no way endorse early entering but I do like to think I know when to enter a pup and wouldnt like to think it hinged on any given time span .When a pup is fighting for the hell of it at exercise then its time it saw some work to channel the aggression away from its kennel mates.A satisfied terrier walks with the others .Each to their own and long may that be .

foxdropper .

No dog, of whatever breed, has ever been spoilt by holding it back....in the grand scale of things, there really is no rush :guitar::good:

Big statement that,without knowing and working every strain type or bloodline, not many would be arrogant enough to make it.JMO

Socks-

I respect your decision mate but will it leave you wondering whether or not you have missed a season of work from the dog .I in no way endorse early entering but I do like to think I know when to enter a pup and wouldnt like to think it hinged on any given time span .When a pup is fighting for the hell of it at exercise then its time it saw some work to channel the aggression away from its kennel mates.A satisfied terrier walks with the others .Each to their own and long may that be .

foxdropper .

I know where your coming from Foxdropper some young terriers could test the patience of a saint.

well a weekend talking to some good dog lads has made me rethink what i have been doing for the last 10-15 years ..............somewhere between what pickaxe said and what socks said is where i will be from now on :)

and darcy i tend to agree .........easy to enter easy to spoil :)

yis fellman

fellman it is the easier they enter the easier they spoil, and I'm lucky I've worked the same family for over 20 years and hope my f**k ups are behind me, next pup could still show me how little i know

Edited by pickaxe