Guest sitepatrol

Hi mate got a new pup last week.Kept her in the house for four days just to make the bond.Then put her in the kennles expect the usual yelping.God was i happy .no a winge .Think its down the the pups temprement sometime we get lucky.Its the first time in twenty years that i have.Hope it settles down soon atb. sitepatrol

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what would you do then wild rover? just interested because there's only a few posts on this topic. And considering there shit loads of bollock threads on here anyway, just curious mate. could you point out the bollock posts for us then perhaps. not bitching just wondering how you would do it.

so what would you do then wild rover? just interested because there's only a few posts on this topic. And considering there shit loads of bollock threads on here anyway, just curious mate. could you point out the bollock posts for us then perhaps. not bitching just wondering how you would do it.

Sorry mate for seeming harsh but some of the advice and stuff on here beggars belief, firstly, all my dogs over the years (quite a few years ) have been kept outside.

When pups are removed from their mother and litter mates they are very vunerable and lonely, they need company, comfort and reassurance.

Spend time with pup in its new home, put an old cuddly toy in its bed, play with it in its new surroundings, when its quiet go to it reassure it you are coming back. Get it used to its new surroundings.

Even if this means spending time after dark, the cuddly toy will feel like its litter mate and fool it that it has company, this can be removed when it settles down.

A nice bone to chew on helps and it gives it something to do.

Hitting a pup this small only frightens it even more and you could have it sitting in its bed frightened to death of you.

Many pups are ruined by this type of behaviour, forget the macho stuff, spoil it for a week.

The threads I refer to are the ones suggesting hitting it or squirting water, squirting water can be used to deter an older more secure dog, not 8 weeks old.

We are all entitled to our opinions but I cringe at some things said and done by some Lurcher owners and no I don't have all the answers, 56 and still learning but I listen to all sound advice.

Thats me soap box finished. Cheers

for feck sake!!

so let me get this straight. you have an 8 week old pup. you've just dumped her in a kennel on her own. not playing with her or giving any extra attention besides feeding and cleaning out. -your reason being so she can settle and get on with it! AND then when the pup howls you hit it!!

were you born yesterday?!!

even my daughter wouldn't be that daft and she's three!!

think about the pups situation, she's been with mum and litter mates for the first two months of her life, then everything the pup is fimilar with is gone, the mum, littermates, the bedding walls the owner of the dam etc the pup finds herself in a new and very strange enviroment, is left in a kennel THAT SHE DOESN'T KNOW ALONE, and is not getting any attention from the apparent owner, she is lonely, comfused and bored . . so she howls

use your head, if i took you when you were 5 years old away from your home, family, freinds, teddy's etc EVERYTHING you ever knew and loved and put you in a room (any room could be a mansion for all you care but you don't know it) with no company, no toys no affection and see how you long it takes you to cry and thats without someone much bigger then you coming in to hit you round the nose!!!

in regards to that "my dad hit me and i turned out fine comment"

the child understands what the parent is saying even if they don't listen, a dog of any age as a different specie to humans therfore it doesn't understand our language, it takes training, patience and time for a dog to learn what we want it to do, a pup at 8 weeks is feeling confused about its surroundings and you hitting it on the nose to be quiet really wont help, plus the dog will not respect youbut fear you, a dog will work its heart for you if it respects you, but if its scared of you it will be more concerned about you then what it should be doing

p.s if you turned out fine why is a girl among other people telling you not to hit a pup

lets hope this pup will turn out half ok, i reckon the lads next door would do a better job

Guest sitepatrol
for feck sake!!

so let me get this straight. you have an 8 week old pup. you've just dumped her in a kennel on her own. not playing with her or giving any extra attention besides feeding and cleaning out. -your reason being so she can settle and get on with it! AND then when the pup howls you hit it!!

were you born yesterday?!!

even my daughter wouldn't be that daft and she's three!!

think about the pups situation, she's been with mum and litter mates for the first two months of her life, then everything the pup is fimilar with is gone, the mum, littermates, the bedding walls the owner of the dam etc the pup finds herself in a new and very strange enviroment, is left in a kennel THAT SHE DOESN'T KNOW ALONE, and is not getting any attention from the apparent owner, she is lonely, comfused and bored . . so she howls

use your head, if i took you when you were 5 years old away from your home, family, freinds, teddy's etc EVERYTHING you ever knew and loved and put you in a room (any room could be a mansion for all you care but you don't know it) with no company, no toys no affection and see how you long it takes you to cry and thats without someone much bigger then you coming in to hit you round the nose!!!

in regards to that "my dad hit me and i turned out fine comment"

the child understands what the parent is saying even if they don't listen, a dog of any age as a different specie to humans therfore it doesn't understand our language, it takes training, patience and time for a dog to learn what we want it to do, a pup at 8 weeks is feeling confused about its surroundings and you hitting it on the nose to be quiet really wont help, plus the dog will not respect youbut fear you, a dog will work its heart for you if it respects you, but if its scared of you it will be more concerned about you then what it should be doing

p.s if you turned out fine why is a girl among other people telling you not to hit a pup

lets hope this pup will turn out half ok, i reckon the lads next door would do a better job

Agree with what you say mate.But maybe its the guys first dog.He may not know the score.atb. sitepatrol

Edited by sitepatrol

i put a cuddly toy in her box with her last night she went silent loved it. she also has a radio on low, good food, warmth, plenty of toys and 4 different bones!! think shes starting to chill, i actually find it quite funny when shes howling at the moment, cos she goes from really high to really low. cheers for everyone whos put up some helpful information much appreciated. You other choppsy c**ts, skycat, richie, lurcher lass etc you wanna start giving it the large one over a computer, pm and we'll arrange a meet and we will see whos the big hard man then hey. fecking mouthy cun.ts!

i put a cuddly toy in her box with her last night she went silent loved it. she also has a radio on low, good food, warmth, plenty of toys and 4 different bones!! think shes starting to chill, i actually find it quite funny when shes howling at the moment, cos she goes from really high to really low. cheers for everyone whos put up some helpful information much appreciated. You other choppsy c**ts, skycat, richie, lurcher lass etc you wanna start giving it the large one over a computer, pm and we'll arrange a meet and we will see whos the big hard man then hey. fecking mouthy cun.ts!

No wonder people are leaving the site...

yeah down to people like yourself acting the prat

Or people like you trying to arrange fights with half the guys on the forum.

not half guys, just you and your sidekicks. people like yourself piss me off. Got the balls of a bear over a computer forum but soon disapeer when comes down to it. yellow coward. 90 percent posted helpful positive comments, the other 10 included yourself posted useless shite

I'm sorry Brian: I shouldn't have stooped so low as to call you names and I apologise for that. But when I read that you'd hit a little pup for howling I just saw red! As you know, I don't normally talk like a prat, but apart from the name calling I'd say the same things to you in person if you had asked what to do to about the pup howling.

I know we all have to start somewhere, but I stand by what I said: that hitting dogs, especially pups, generally doesn't have a very good effect on them and any future relationship and training you might have with the animal.

Glad things are improving.

I'm sorry Brian: I shouldn't have stooped so low as to call you names and I apologise for that. But when I read that you'd hit a little pup for howling I just saw red! As you know, I don't normally talk like a prat, but apart from the name calling I'd say the same things to you in person if you had asked what to do to about the pup howling.

I know we all have to start somewhere, but I stand by what I said: that hitting dogs, especially pups, generally doesn't have a very good effect on them and any future relationship and training you might have with the animal.

Glad things are improving.

I appreciate the apology, i thought that maybe if i didnt show too much affection towards her she might not call out for me as much. theres nothing more i would like to do than roll around in the kennel and play with her believe me. and also when you say hit it sounds harsh but i generally me a little tap on the nose with two fingers. i love dogs, and would never intend to hurt one. i was just asking for some advice thats all. the howling doesnt bother me much. ive been up and in the kennel at 5 am since ive got her which i dont mind at all, its all in the fun of a days work of owning a pup. i also apologise for reacting angrily