i only had her two nights but she howls, day and night! i know she needs to settle in and im not making a fuss over her im just letting her get on with it but the two gays we got living next door have already made a point on it the :censored: i got the radio in the kennel, ive give her a few slaps on the nose but she aint having it! anyone else had this problem and any tips???

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never have seen the need to hit any animal. I'm not animal rights activist but I feel that if you get a bond with an animal out of respect they will respond better.

I had the same with a pup I took on. Put it outside and it howled, thought it had been kept as such.

Brought it in the house and stayed with it! It got used to things and stopped howling. Now that is slightly older it is outside all day, in at night. Eventually I will move it outside to some kennels.

The point I am making it that it takes time. The pup probably taken away from it's brothers and sisters and put out on it's own. It takes time to adjust and in that time having someone hit you when you need reassurance isn't going to help the bond.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Richie10
i only had her two nights but she howls, day and night! i know she needs to settle in and im not making a fuss over her im just letting her get on with it but the two gays we got living next door have already made a point on it the :censored: i got the radio in the kennel, ive give her a few slaps on the nose but she aint having it! anyone else had this problem and any tips???

best bet 4 that is mate, tell the fcuking gays 2 move then they wont hear her :)

she should settle down after a week mate,

try putting a bone in with her thats what has worked 4 me and knacker her out a bit so she wants 2 sleep.

Joe

best bet 4 that is mate, tell the fcuking gays 2 move then they wont hear her :)

she should settle down after a week mate,

try putting a bone in with her thats what has worked 4 me and knacker her out a bit so she wants 2 sleep.

Joe

i hope so, ohh yeah shes got the bones in there with her, kept herstoop for a whole 5 mins :icon_redface:

You don't say how old the pup is, if it's out on it's own, if it's been kennelled out before etc etc so it's hard to make an informed reply.

So this is a general shot in the dark, basics first make sure the kennel if ok ie no draughts, dry, etc. If it's not a tiny pup then a squirt with water every time it howls usually will quickly teach it the errors of it's ways but there needs consistancy in this method. There are always anti bark collers for older animals or you can just wait it out but others living nearby will be less likely to understand especially if holwling in the night and it just makes trouble for later.

Never have seen the need to hit any animal. I'm not animal rights activist but I feel that if you get a bond with an animal out of respect they will respond better.

I had the same with a pup I took on. Put it outside and it howled, thought it had been kept as such.

Brought it in the house and stayed with it! It got used to things and stopped howling. Now that is slightly older it is outside all day, in at night. Eventually I will move it outside to some kennels.

The point I am making it that it takes time. The pup probably taken away from it's brothers and sisters and put out on it's own. It takes time to adjust and in that time having someone hit you when you need reassurance isn't going to help the bond.

Just my opinion.

well arent you bloody good richie, whats your second name doolittle!!?? I havent beat the crap out of her ya chump i just gave her a little slap on the nose, doesnt hurt them just gives em a little shock. my dad always gave me a slap around the back of the hands when i was naughty as a kid, never done me a harm and i never done the same thing twice either! everything needs a little disaplin sunshine

You don't say how old the pup is, if it's out on it's own, if it's been kennelled out before etc etc so it's hard to make an informed reply.

So this is a general shot in the dark, basics first make sure the kennel if ok ie no draughts, dry, etc. If it's not a tiny pup then a squirt with water every time it howls usually will quickly teach it the errors of it's ways but there needs consistancy in this method. There are always anti bark collers for older animals or you can just wait it out but others living nearby will be less likely to understand especially if holwling in the night and it just makes trouble for later.

she is 8 weeks old, yes she is out on her own, it was kennelled with the rest of the litter until i picked her up monday. yeah the kennels fine also. im not smoothing her or playing with her at the moment just cleaning her out and feeding her. just want her to settle in

Just my opinion.

well arent you bloody good richie, whats your second name doolittle!!?? I havent beat the crap out of her ya chump i just gave her a little slap on the nose, doesnt hurt them just gives em a little shock. my dad always gave me a slap around the back of the hands when i was naughty as a kid, never done me a harm and i never done the same thing twice either! everything needs a little disaplin sunshine

Thing is when your dad did it you knew him, this pup has been with you for 2 nights and probably thinks your some strange twat who hits him.

You asked for help and I gave you my experience, why ask if you know it all already?

I had terrible trouble with ours, but worked it out. Thought you might gain something.

Well if the slapping the dog works, how comes you are on here crying out for help?

Just my opinion.

Thing is when your dad did it you knew him, this pup has been with you for 2 nights and probably thinks your some strange twat who hits him.

You asked for help and I gave you my experience, why ask if you know it all already?

I had terrible trouble with ours, but worked it out. Thought you might gain something.

Well if the slapping the dog works, how comes you are on here crying out for help?

if i wanted the dog inside i wouldnt have it in the kennel would i

You are a feckin moron: how would you have behaved at the age of 2 years old if you'd been taken away from your mum and dad and stuck in a strange place with nothing to do and no one to play with? And every time you cried you got a slap?

A puppy is only a puppy, and by hitting it every time it shows it is lonely or scared of being on its own you are doing nothing except make it wary of you.

And worse: you say your'e not playing with it or giving it any attention! that pup is missing its littermates, it doesn't know what the hell is going on so its voicing it's feelings like any young thing would: by bawling.

The bawling means "Help I'm lonely! Where are the rest of my pack?"

YOu need to stop acting like a complete idiot and give the pups some much needed affection: play with it, spend as much time as possible with it, get it nice and tired before putting it back in the kennel, with some good food, a big bone and plenty of bedding. Hang a radio on the wall and leave it on low: it won't hear the silence around it so much.

Why don't you try and understand the wee thing from a dog point of view instead of acting all hard: and you say the slaps your dad gave you didn't do you any harm? Mmmm! Understanding is better than hitting which only leads to more hitting etc etc.

You are a feckin moron: how would you have behaved at the age of 2 years old if you'd been taken away from your mum and dad and stuck in a strange place with nothing to do and no one to play with? And every time you cried you got a slap?

A puppy is only a puppy, and by hitting it every time it shows it is lonely or scared of being on its own you are doing nothing except make it wary of you.

And worse: you say your'e not playing with it or giving it any attention! that pup is missing its littermates, it doesn't know what the hell is going on so its voicing it's feelings like any young thing would: by bawling.

The bawling means "Help I'm lonely! Where are the rest of my pack?"

YOu need to stop acting like a complete idiot and give the pups some much needed affection: play with it, spend as much time as possible with it, get it nice and tired before putting it back in the kennel, with some good food, a big bone and plenty of bedding. Hang a radio on the wall and leave it on low: it won't hear the silence around it so much.

Why don't you try and understand the wee thing from a dog point of view instead of acting all hard: and you say the slaps your dad gave you didn't do you any harm? Mmmm! Understanding is better than hitting which only leads to more hitting etc etc.

Exactly.

Just my opinion.

if i wanted the dog inside i wouldnt have it in the kennel would i

When then get it more things for it to do or get it a friend. It wants attention, same as babies.

Who told you it would be easy?

The best thing (in my opinion) is

To exercise the puppy LOTS in the evening. This will wear your puppy out!! And make the puppy more willing to sleep when the time comes. Put puppy in the crate with toys, the security blanket and the old stand-bys =

1.) A Loud Ticking clock!! - - - - Reminds it of its mothers heart beat

2.) Hot water Bottle - - - - Comfort and Warmth that it would have got from its siblings!

3.) Stuffed animals with eyes, nose etc - - - - Security and Company

4.) The Radio - - - - Gives the illusion of someone else in the room with the pup

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Right then guys, i had a pup last october gave her lots of attention, played with her, cuddled her, brought her inside for a few mins every now and then. she was 8 weeks old, when i put her back in the kennel she would howl and cry, she soon learned that everytime she did this it would result in her getting wet because i would just throw a bucket of water over her and shout BOX. She would then go into her box all wet and cold but quite as a mouse, now being nearly 10 months old i can be in the front garden with her say box and she will walk all the way up the back garden into her kennel and lay in her box. I picked anouther pup up three weeks ago at the age of 6 weeks old ive done exacly the same thing with in a few hours he learned to be quiet and go to his box when told. I was taught this method of training dogs by a very good freind who has years of expeiriance, and who has his own pack of hounds, the good thing is that your not physically hurting them just giving them a shock. So the dog dont loose the bond or trust in you. dont think that this makes them wairy of water because it dont. Hope this helps guys.

Never read so many bollox replies, skycat is right , do us and the pup a favour sell it and take up darts.