A pal of mine just over 3 years ago brought himself 6 acres of agrigultural land way in the middle of nowhere for houseing his livestock. the only way to get to this place is by a small farm track! you would never know the place was there unless anyone drives down the track....

since buying this land he then set himself up a small dwelling/cabin backing onto a small hawthorn hedge, also had a borehole dug for his water supply and electricity, his has livestock and Birds Of Prey housed on the land which has meant he needed to be on site and basically live there for security reasons, for just over 3 years everything has been fine until yesterday he had a visit from the council after someone had reported him as living there, the councilor took pictures of the land and also the place he is staying...

As you can expect he pretty worried about the situation as his whole livelyhood if kept on this land, he certainly couldn't live any of it there unattended through the day and evenings for security reasons, can anyone give me some information to how he stands and what rights he has or any loopholes? at the end of the day the guy needs to stay there as its his livelyhood....

The dwelling has no solid concrete foundations and is basically just a cabin secured by posts

cheers

Jasper

dont know about english law but isnt there a cluase like you say its on posts its not permenant its could be classed as a holiday home like a caravan only thing is cant stay there twelve months of the year it has to be vacated for a time i dont think its to long its like leasing a piece of land there has to be i day break in the year

Nice one Al for the info :thumbs:.

I feel for the guy as he hammered all his hard worked savings into buying the land and having a borehole dug out with a pump, electricity, woodburner ETC.

He is virtualy self sufficient growing his veg and livestock too, he only needs to go out and buy the bare essentials to see him through....

I'll pass on the info to him! he was in a bit of shock the last time I spoke to him, he's a good lad who keeps himself to himself and bothers no one, Unfortunately in the end someone felt the need to report him for staying there :angry:....

cheers

Jasp

a friend of mine had same problem coucil took him to court took 2 years i think before it went,anyway 6 council officials there end of day they made a right mess of there end,his legal representive got him full planning end of day council looked right knobs,cost my mate a few grand but he said it was worth it,he was living in a wood shack in middle of a wood,so i say fight the bxxxx to the end

im not 100% but my mate who is a plaster did it and as long as you have livestock on it and its not a permant building ie concrete foundations etc its ok. once you have had it 5 years you can do what the hell you want with it

atb mike

I'm pretty sure there is a loop hole somewhere that if he has lived on the land for a certain amount of time there is nothing they can do (a bit like squatters rights ) and if he can prove his need to live on the land (which you have said he can)IE security of the animals they have to take this in to account. i will keep looking to see what i can find. there are lawyers who specialize in this area and know all the loopholes i have no idea what they cost though.

I'm pretty sure there is a loop hole somewhere that if he has lived on the land for a certain amount of time there is nothing they can do (a bit like squatters rights ) and if he can prove his need to live on the land (which you have said he can)IE security of the animals they have to take this in to account. i will keep looking to see what i can find. there are lawyers who specialize in this area and know all the loopholes i have no idea what they cost though.

i think your right hes got more chance if he has already been there 5 years or overand can prove it

i know its different but im sure you can legaly live on land for 3 months in the year and no more..

might be an idea to carve it up into 4 plots put a plot each in 3 seperate family names and feck em.

move the shack caravan from each plot every 3 month :clapper:

OK i have been looking and have come up with human rights !! it could fall under article 8 this refers mostly to Gypsies but there are several cases of them being evicted from there own land and this is a breach of there human rights and they have won at court. the link i have posted is to a site that provides free help to the public and will help you identify where he stands and what rights he has i hope this is of some help and that they can give him the help he needs. hopefully with this and the need to protect his animals there will be nothing they an do.

please let me know how he gets on as we have a friend who lives in the same way and i have often wondered what would happen to him

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/get-advice/pu...vice-intro.html.

im not 100% but my mate who is a plaster did it and as long as you have livestock on it and its not a permant building ie concrete foundations etc its ok. once you have had it 5 years you can do what the hell you want with it

atb mike

dont know about the 5 years but the rest is right...my old mans advice on this sort of situation(for what its worth) was...GOATS

because goats allways need someone on site to milk them...sell the milk and declare some to the taxman so in the eyes of the law your smallholding is also your livelyhood...JASPER i feel for your mate situations like this make my piss boil!...a good mate of mine plus his wife and kids are going through the same situation...

Edited by AKA-BRINDLE

re my other post since learned its a mere 28 days your allowed to live on it with no bother.

theres a site called legalbanter.co.uk might be worth a look

http://www.legalbanter.co.uk/uk-legal-lega...n-farmland.html

the post below i like :clapper: not much help but a result for this fella...

I guy I know in a similar situation applied for planning permission for a

modest house on a similar size piece of land but other property owners

bordering the land objected, one of whom was on the local planning

committee. Having had permission refused he opened up all the gates to the

fields and made sure the objectors were aware that if pikeys were to move

onto the land he would take no steps to remove them. Planning permission

was subsequently granted.

In your ex's situation he could perhaps point out to all the neighbours

that, were he forced to move out, there would be nobody there to ensure the

gates were locked every night and if pikeys were to move onto the land he

wouldn't have the financial resources to have them removed. I suspect then

that the complainant would quickly inform the local council that your ex had

moved out of the caravan and there was no need for further investigation or

enforcement action.

Rgds

Edited by Chip

Many thanks all for the replies which I'll pass on :thumbs:..

Its a nightmare situation he is having to face! he's made that place into a outstanding small holding. the work he put into it since he has been there to get it to this stage can never be replaced....

What gets me is I can understand if someone buys up some land and stick a bloody great block of flats up or something thats not inkeeping to the rest of the area!! but this guy is tucked away from everyone, you would never know he was there unless you flew over the place! he's kept himself to himself and gets on very well with the landowner he purchased his land off in the area....

then for some reason someone comes along and takes exception to him either through jealousy or some other reason and dobs him in to the council :icon_eek: don't you get em hey! always one........

cheers

Jasper

as i was saying about my friend,the person that reported him was the person they bought from 20 years earlyer because he wnted it back 5/6 acres wood and hill grazing,but he had built cabin 10 years after buying and he or his mate had lived there during that time working the wood,selling for tanning & alsorts of things that farmers dont seem to do to there woods,but he did end up with full planning for dwelling,he never set out for just because of nice farmer and eaven nicer goverment bodys trying to get him off his own land miles from most people,its a sad wold we live in,i think its a fantastic place he lives and to see the wood living,go to court fight

if your mates livelyhood is earning more than £7500 pa then he can apply to the secratary of state for agriculutral exemption and stress the point that the stock and birds of prey need 24 hour supervision he should have no problem getting PERSONAL planning permission then