info on 1st lurcher

hi there jut looking for some advice ,my nephew is after his 1st lurcher he is 11 and will only be mooching with it and a bit of ferreting and a maybe a bit of lamping with a couple of my mates, i was thinking of maybe a beddy x or a 1st cross whippet greyhound or even bull whippet any advice much appreciated :clapper:

Just my own opinion mate,there was a thread all about beddy x's the other day and the majority agreed that they are better for having a bit of greyhound in them,he would probably be happy with a beddy whippet/grey,a lot of beddy/whippet owners said their dogs were strong willed,hardly ideal for a young lads first dog,ussually a bit bigger and stronger as well.

Some grews are good dogs but they are very fast and a bit injury prone[can be suicidal] young lads tend to run them anywhere [did it myself] and its probably not the best choice.

Staffy x's can be ok,a mate bred some and gave a fella one, he uses for ferreting/mooching,apparently he's really happy with it,but speed could be an issue especially as it gets a bit older.

For a first dog he wants something easy to train and fairly indestructable,maybe something like a collie/grey x whippet/grey would be a safe bet for him,atb steve

Guest jt750

young lad ...get him first x collie whippet or collie x grey ....better still a 3/4 bred collie whippet or grey will be better ..them dogs love kids and will do anything for them..easy to train and bond with the youngsters

Guest lurchers n lamps
Just my own opinion mate,there was a thread all about beddy x's the other day and the majority agreed that they are better for having a bit of greyhound in them,he would probably be happy with a beddy whippet/grey,a lot of beddy/whippet owners said their dogs were strong willed,hardly ideal for a young lads first dog,ussually a bit bigger and stronger as well.

Some grews are good dogs but they are very fast and a bit injury prone[can be suicidal] young lads tend to run them anywhere [did it myself] and its probably not the best choice.

Staffy x's can be ok,a mate bred some and gave a fella one, he uses for ferreting/mooching,apparently he's really happy with it,but speed could be an issue especially as it gets a bit older.

For a first dog he wants something easy to train and fairly indestructable,maybe something like a collie/grey x whippet/grey would be a safe bet for him,atb steve

collie/grey x whippet/grey is a good first dog thay got brains and are very bidable good all rounders imo

Image003.jpg

Picture022.jpg

good luck what ever dog you choose

Guest jt750
i think myself a whippet x hound would be a good allrounder!

they are easy to train and very loyal and maybe as he gets older might want to move onto bigger quarry and i think this is where the whippet hound would be best!

all the best with it!

ADAM

bigger quarry you mean ....we can only take rats and rabbits here with dogs

Anything along the lines of whippet, collie, grey wud suit him grand.. Collie breeds are easy train, very bidable n keen to please n got stamina, then uv got whippet for speed n quick acceleration, grey for speed drive, power n good size..

Hope this helped!

Atb

Pa

Just as important as the type or breed is the temperament. Make sure its a 'middle of the road' pup: neither too dominant nor the scaredy one at the back of the litter, and try and match the temperament of the pup to the boy: if he's a tough nut with a loud voice then by all means go for the tough pup, but if he's a quiet lad who needs confidence building then a pup that won't challenge him too much would be better.

hi there jut looking for some advice ,my nephew is after his 1st lurcher he is 11 and will only be mooching with it and a bit of ferreting and a maybe a bit of lamping with a couple of my mates, i was thinking of maybe a beddy x or a 1st cross whippet greyhound or even bull whippet any advice much appreciated :clapper:

good 1st cross to get you up and running atb

keano :victory:

KEANO, i know you are a big collie fan but recomending a first cross col/grey for a young lad is not good advice,to get good running ability and a better all round performance further running dog blood would be required imo.

My lads got a first x col/grey,we carefully bred him and trained/worked him,he has got his good points and is almost indestructable,but even though everyone who see's him

thinks he's a 3/4 x he lacks running ability,sharpness and tends to hesitate and think about the strike to much.

Its no coincidence that a lot of first x enthusiasts live in rugged hilly terrain,in this situation they can be a worthwhile dog,on lower flat land i would never consider owning another first x.

Maybe you lads have access to better collie blood i dont know, Ted Walsh summed it up pretty well in his book,"ive never met the owner of a fist x that was completely happy with it" i would agree with that statement 100%.

ps despite my name im not into bull x's,dont want to start that off again,just honest opinions gained from actual experience,atb steve.

young lad, a small whippet x bitch should do the job atb

J.A

thanks for all your thoughts and replies lads i think am guna start looking for a whippet x greyhound of some sort it seems he cant go wrong with that cross will chase anything and fast as there ts little game around our way cheers atb