ANYONE USE A DOG WITH AIR-RIFLE

Last week i took my Gwp out with a mate and his shotgun for the first time and again last night.He also went on his first ferreting trip on saturday.i dont own a shogun just an air-rifle but i enjoy working the dog .

Anyway on friday i shot a woodpigeon which i seemed to hit right but when i went to collect it there was no sign so i used the dog to find it in the bramble patches.He came on point and i got it out.Theres no-way id have found it without the dog.

Tonight i was pottering around the garden when he came on point beside a pile of rubbish and wood.I went and got the gun and so as not to startle the rabbit i went about ten yards away and eventually spotted the bunny crouched down.A very easy shot but again i wouldnt have known that rabbit was there without the dog.

Ill start shooting rabbits on the dales in about six weeks time and im hoping that the dog will by then learn what heel is :clapper: and will stay beside me whilst i shoot a few rabbits which he can retrieve.This land is hilly so dead rabbits inevitably roll downhill into the reeds.A dog will find them better and it will save my legs.In time i expect ill be able to lamp rabbits and get him to bring them back.

Just wondering if anyone else uses a dog whilst airgun shooting.

06042009172.jpg

Used my 3/4 bred collie greyhound to retreave rabbits that i shot over the pit tip about 10 yrs ago.

I can use my eldest plummer dog to but he doesnt run straight out and brings them, he will hunt the hedge first if he doesnt see the rabbit drop, but when he is alone he will retreave as good as a gundog.

I've taken my beddy/whippet pup out twice with the air rifle & lamp. Good job too, because on consecutive nights, my mate put a .177 pellet through the bottom jaw of a rabbit, about 1/4 of an inch too low, and the pup caught them after they pegged it!

Not related, :D but I've been considering getting a .177 at some point, and I've seen rabbits shot in the same place with a .22, drop instantly. Food for thought.. :hmm::thumbs:

all my plummers retrieved what they caught but on the steep uneven hills they would have struggled to bring back a number of rabbits,plus a small terrier would be unsighted nearly everytime.it would have taken too long and alot of effort...............it can be hard even for bigger dogs sometimes.i think a terrier could make a good dog though on other land.

Edited by pointer

i use my vizsla with the airgun all the time,wouldnt go hunting without a dog...shes pulled me out of the shit wiith wounded sqirrells and pigeons etc loads of times!!! they always seem to drop into the deepest of bramble patches,as long as the bog/bitch is steady then you have no worries... the key factor is they dont leave your side until you command them to that way they dont spook any game/vermin waiting to be shot!

100_0958.jpg

It dosent suprise me that plummers can make usefull dogs.Firstly because ive owned them for 13 years and secondly because CP who bred the earlier dogs(pre PTA) shot rabbits over his regularly. ;)

I could shoot rabbits and game over my terrier and lurcher but i like the style of the HPRS.The way they hunt and point interests me,for some reason i cant enjoy seeing a spaniel,terrier etc work as much as these slower pointer things.Just personal choice...........as in all types of dog.

Edited by pointer
It dosent suprise me that plummers can make usefull dogs.Firstly because ive owned them for 13 years and secondly because CP who bred the earlier dogs(pre PTA) shot rabbits over his regularly. ;)

I could shoot rabbits and game over my terrier and lurcher but i like the style of the HPRS.The way they hunt and point interests me,for some reason i cant enjoy seeing a spaniel,terrier etc work as much as these slower pointer things.Just personal choice...........as in all types of dog.

same here its just the natural steadyness you can even work them in light cover and shoot pointed rabbits with the air rifle before they bolt etc!!! ive done this a few times... all the plummers ive seen and heard of have been natural retreivers but not as steady as needed but a dogs a dog if you havent got a pointer if i had a plummer and nothing else id use it!

me and my mate use my chocolate lab, we went on a new shoot and between us lost about 6 pigeons in thick brambles and cover, after that we decided to use my lab, he seemed to find them and pick them up naturally, retrieving took abit of training, but not much.. now as soon as my gun bag comes out he goes mental, absolutley lives for it, some situations are perfect for dogs, others not so.. if you have a keen dog use it mate, even if they do scare a few off, still good to watch :thumbs: atb mate

Last week i took my Gwp out with a mate and his shotgun for the first time and again last night.He also went on his first ferreting trip on saturday.i dont own a shogun just an air-rifle but i enjoy working the dog .

Anyway on friday i shot a woodpigeon which i seemed to hit right but when i went to collect it there was no sign so i used the dog to find it in the bramble patches.He came on point and i got it out.Theres no-way id have found it without the dog.

Tonight i was pottering around the garden when he came on point beside a pile of rubbish and wood.I went and got the gun and so as not to startle the rabbit i went about ten yards away and eventually spotted the bunny crouched down.A very easy shot but again i wouldnt have known that rabbit was there without the dog.

Ill start shooting rabbits on the dales in about six weeks time and im hoping that the dog will by then learn what heel is :clapper: and will stay beside me whilst i shoot a few rabbits which he can retrieve.This land is hilly so dead rabbits inevitably roll downhill into the reeds.A dog will find them better and it will save my legs.In time i expect ill be able to lamp rabbits and get him to bring them back.

Just wondering if anyone else uses a dog whilst airgun shooting.

06042009172.jpg

i use my 4 year old cocker dor mate had him with the air gun since he age of 9 months whan he is with the shot gun he hunts i shoot he finds. out with the ferret he marks the holes sits waits for the rabbits to come out and he is to the next hole. with the air gun he comes with me i say ssh and he does not move till i shot and he find s it the only prob is eb=van if i miss he goes cant stop him all im saying is you can train your dog to do waht you want as long as your both happy doing it treat it as its a game to your dog,

got a 10 month ols bitch now to she will be better than him i can even take them with the lamp on the gun