Guest grubygrafter

do you meen compact felly. ? there are some very good terriers up here . a mix of cowan and brightmore. :good: could someone on here name a strain/line /or breed. that has'nt been found lacking.???

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you meen compact felly. ? there are some very good terriers up here . a mix of cowan and brightmore. :good: could someone on here name a strain/line /or breed. that has'nt been found lacking.???

Easy...PLUMMERS!... :tongue2:

I mean, do they want and expect the dog to kill his fox ?

With this type I presume they are not looking for a bolt ?

With this type Fell Pack I would hope the quality of a terrier is where it should be because I expect with some of them tally ho type terriers they are as shitty as it gets.

Guest grubygrafter

Easy...PLUMMERS!... :tongue2:

kye i said HAS'NT been found lacking :D

I think we're going off the subject here lads .original question was :

heard many contraddictions about it .......still working ???

Yes...I would like to hear more on "Cowan's" terriers,myself.A "very" irritating fellow here(in the U.S.)owns a "Cowan's" male Lakie(that same terrier is just about as big as a "Airedale"! lol!)and "rants&raves" about his "abilities"... :whistle:

Any terrier that works to ground, it's main purpose is to find the quarry and bolt it or stay with it till it can be dug to. :good:

Guest lurch

Yes...I would like to hear more on "Cowan's" terriers,myself.A "very" irritating fellow here(in the U.S.)owns a "Cowan's" male Lakie(that same terrier is just about as big as a "Airedale"! lol!)and "rants&raves" about his "abilities"... :whistle:

Any terrier that works to ground, it's main purpose is to find the quarry and bolt it or stay with it till it can be dug to. :good:

it would have to bark for a long time under some places on the fells it would be better of killing the fox and geting out

Every thread tends to do that......

But how did your latest post add to what the original question was regarding the current crop of Cowen dogs , a slight contradicting post there old chap :whistle: :D .

It's interesting for me to see the lack of anybody coming out and saying that they own Cowen dogs and are happy with their working capability's.

There lies the truth I think . Actually let's hear from anybody that's bought a dog directly from J.Cowen in recent years and is happy with how it has turned out.....WORK WISE!!.If no one does , then it puts this thread to sleep regarding the ORIGINAL question asked.

Let's not drag up these names up time after time after time . They would'nt be such well known names if they had'nt have bred something of use during there lifetimes. It's just they have all been tempted by the silver coins at some point , and once you start breeding for a % of your living the inevitable happends eventually :no: .

Be it John Cowen , Gary Middleton or whomever . Let sleeping dogs lie , as we know what the current state of the Working Lakeland terrier is at this time....... ;) .

for what it worth ma pal bot a pup fae j.cowan about 12 yr ago, unfortuanatley the dog was lost too ground at early age. the dog was nice dog black and tan,. smooth coated and very strong. dug 4 wi the dog bfore he lost him in a sandy place. the 4 foxs he dug the dog was [bANNED TEXT] , but obviously never tested

Guest Stevie D

Around 1984 I had a friend who rated Mr Cowen's teriers very highly and had used his line of terriers to produce his own stuff. To his mind they were a sensible, intelligent type which is what he liked and this guy averaged around 70 foxes a season. I've since been told that Mr Cowen fell victim to dog thieves many years ago, not once but on several occasions. So whether the man still has the same line now (and bear in mind he's an old man) or whether his terriers don't see the work anymore doesn't matter. What matters is that too many on sites like this don't give a bit of respect to a man who probably knows more about terriers than most of the fannies that have ever spoke to him, never mind had a terrier off him. Stop writing off these people, they are the basis of all our terriers, good bad or indifferent.

Stevie

Around 1984 I had a friend who rated Mr Cowen's teriers very highly and had used his line of terriers to produce his own stuff. To his mind they were a sensible, intelligent type which is what he liked and this guy averaged around 70 foxes a season. I've since been told that Mr Cowen fell victim to dog thieves many years ago, not once but on several occasions. So whether the man still has the same line now (and bear in mind he's an old man) or whether his terriers don't see the work anymore doesn't matter. What matters is that too many on sites like this don't give a bit of respect to a man who probably knows more about terriers than most of the fannies that have ever spoke to him, never mind had a terrier off him. Stop writing off these people, they are the basis of all our terriers, good bad or indifferent.

Stevie

well said

Stevie

well said

i dont think it meant to be disrespectfull

i certainly would never run a guy down ......

a lot of these guys (in their day) dug plenty of stuff i wasnt being disrespectful at all

i tried to answer the question raised

everyone is entitled to their own opinion and thats all it is "opinion"

but i do also think the chief has a point in his post ...............a lot of guys who are well thought of now are doing things for the colour of money :yes:

yis fellman