foxhound x greyhound

I have been around these "type" of dogs when I was younger except they were coonhound blooded. Not as good as the foxhound blood for this purpose. I will be pretty much hunting nothing but staghoundxjuly foxhound crosses in the near future. There is a ton of room for this kind of dog over here to catch game. Alot of potential that I see but most cannot think on their own so it doesnt get done much. I have all the faith in the world in this type of dog and will prove to anybody doubting it that they are wrong.

I must say though that I am not a moocher or poacher or whatever you fellas call it. I will catching and killing coyotes with these types. I know nothing about coursing or mooching or any of that stuff. I just hunt.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you dont have to be poacher or a moocher in your country good job u defeated us all them years back or you would not have the freedom to hunt with your dogs alb an be lucky

Not yet anyhow. I didnt mean to come off the wrong way there. I just get pretty pissed at people that tell other people that they will not be successful hunting a certain dog or hunting a certain way. To me hunting is alot of common sense and learning from each experience and getting better at it. I love reading about collie crosses and bull crosses and how great they are at different jobs and I do believe it 100% but when somebody mentions this cross, alot of people start in on how they wont be worth a damn. I say bullshit to that. Foxhounds have a tremendous amount of drive and heart coupled with stamina to spare. Cross that on a big ole rough staghound and in my opinion you can come up with a truely versatile hunting dog and I have seen dogs of this type work.

be bit like rhodesian ridgeback x grey that would be a nice dog

been thinkin bout this one myself i got a deerhoundxgreyhound 25" great dog fast not to heavy my neighbour got a ridgeback male quite a racy type but very strong about 27". anyone ever tried this mix? just a thought as do a lot of lamping and thought the stamina and reliability of the ridgeback cant be a bad thing?

i personally think they would be too big and heavy for serious lurcher work. dont know too much about fox hounds but i see some at a country show last year and they was big old dogs. how much do they weight?? they seem to have big chunky feet, legs and head, much larger than your adverage base blood used in most lurcher x's. would like to see some pics though. cheers.

lurchers and longdogs by E.G.WALSH PAGE 49

you dont have to be poacher or a moocher in your country good job u defeated us all them years back or you would not have the freedom to hunt with your dogs alb an be lucky

Not yet anyhow. I didnt mean to come off the wrong way there. I just get pretty pissed at people that tell other people that they will not be successful hunting a certain dog or hunting a certain way. To me hunting is alot of common sense and learning from each experience and getting better at it. I love reading about collie crosses and bull crosses and how great they are at different jobs and I do believe it 100% but when somebody mentions this cross, alot of people start in on how they wont be worth a damn. I say bullshit to that. Foxhounds have a tremendous amount of drive and heart coupled with stamina to spare. Cross that on a big ole rough staghound and in my opinion you can come up with a truely versatile hunting dog and I have seen dogs of this type work.

i wernt tryin to be funny but your country is bigger an you av a lot more freedom as far as huntin goes just wish my ireish decendant's had chose your country

thanks for the replys they seem to be ok from what iv heard, im going to do this x just gonna wait for the right greyhound to come up

good luck dont let anybody tell u not to we all have to learn by our own mistakes it's part of life and the long apprentiship of hunting which last's all your life

thats write if the pups come out shit its only bin a waste of my time nobody elses

be bit like rhodesian ridgeback x grey that would be a nice dog

been thinkin bout this one myself i got a deerhoundxgreyhound 25" great dog fast not to heavy my neighbour got a ridgeback male quite a racy type but very strong about 27". anyone ever tried this mix? just a thought as do a lot of lamping and thought the stamina and reliability of the ridgeback cant be a bad thing?

read a book about a ridge back hunting fox years ago. bred for hunting lions in packs, tells me alot about stamina. i recon it would be a very good dog, someone just needs to take the risk probably pay off, ide have a pup

i was wondering if anyone has ever seen or had one of these xs i would of thought they would be ok should have nice speed and stamina, i was thinking about doing this x but i was also thinking they might all give tongue whilst lamping thats the only thing holding me back

cheers fenman

Not sure about hound /greyhound crosses but if i was determined to try it i think i would use a "Harrier" instead of a foxhound,same thing but in a smaller package,

the pups should be lighter in the bone and a bit more agile.Just a thought,good luck.

i was wondering if anyone has ever seen or had one of these xs i would of thought they would be ok should have nice speed and stamina, i was thinking about doing this x but i was also thinking they might all give tongue whilst lamping thats the only thing holding me back

cheers fenman

Not sure about hound /greyhound crosses but if i was determined to try it i think i would use a "Harrier" instead of a foxhound,same thing but in a smaller package,

the pups should be lighter in the bone and a bit more agile.Just a thought,good luck.

has any one got any pic of this x foxhound x greyhound would be nice to see good luck :victory:

ive got an old book somewhere, dont know the name of it or the auther, my last pup got hold of it and mangled it, it read about foxhound x greyhound , and it said only ever breed the first x , foxhound sire x greyhound dam , and never to cross any other way ie , back to greyhound or to another x .......also it said to choose a pup from this breeding that more resembles the greyhound not the foxhound , to keep the speed there , it was an old book but i think the auther states he,d been doing this x for 35 years with all kinds of varyations and he found this x produced the better x