The head of a Border Terrier

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure enough, some lads say they come on early at 12 months, my dog never had any interest in going below till he were15month,now he gives no quarter, hard dog,i suppose it depends on what ye need, an how long ye be prepared ta wait, some come on swifta then others, too many lads give up on borders through in exespearience of the the breed, my advice is to younger terriermen, take yer time with borders, they aint silly dogs, if you have the time wait, and they will serve you right and when it comes, look out ,.

in the bottom picture she looks very border alike but in the top picture looks like their could be lakey blood in her might be back a generation or 2 or 3 but you never know iv never heard of a bad border lakey anyway mate and like you said it doesnt matter what she is if shes turning out a good one, hope she does you well mate.

Yes mate it all depends what angle you look at her from.. Heres a pic after her only dig so far, did me proud.. Shes 15 month, cant wait for next season!

post-13000-1238444069.jpg

A guy over here has offered to give me a pup out of his next litter. The parents both look like "stormriders" second pic. I don't know much about them i have only worked JRT's, how would they compare? I will say that the teeth on the Borders look very strong. Their temperement seems to be not as active as a JRT aswell.

Edited by Gerard40

stay with ya borders you wont go wrong.alot of lads keep off them because people say they are slow to come on but they are no different to lakies or russles in my eyes but i woudnt work anything else,top little dogs and a good hardy breed

Some of these posts are just plain wrong,Borders were never bred to kill as far as i know,dogs that tried to kill an otter wouldn't last that long if you think about it sensibly.

We used the blood to dilute our lakelands and steady them up a bit or give them a bit of "sense" if you like,we produced some very good dogs this way,the borders sensible temprament developed because they were kenneled with the hounds and fiery dogs would undoubtably be killed by hounds.

Simple mechanics should tell you a longer length of jaw = less bite power,a short er jaw means the head muscles are pulling on it at a more efficient angle,take a look at a staffie's head,relativly short in the jaw combined with heavy cranial muscle,the old staffy breeders would have tried to produce the strongest bite possible.