healing off the lead

my mate has a young cocker spaniel which is good on a lead and heals well, retrieves well does everything you ask of it. however when you take it off the lead it doesn't heal!

so does anyone have any tips on how to get to get the dog to heal off the lead?

cheers paul

my mate has a young cocker spaniel which is good on a lead and heals well, retrieves well does everything you ask of it. however when you take it off the lead it doesn't heal!

so does anyone have any tips on how to get to get the dog to heal off the lead?

cheers paul

How old is it?

How much experience has it had?

What is he going to use it for?

I train mine for trialling and don't place too much on heeling iff the lead until they are well into their hunting.

Is this a problem? well not really, as the dog is either on the lead, sitting or hunting.

im having problems with my springer aswell off the lead hes 2 in july its a spaniel thing always wanting to get out and hunt try walking with a stick and when the dog gets to far in front tap it on the nose its hard work maybe they get better with age or maybe they dont :wallbash:

Leave the lead on the dog while it is at heal. Tuck the lead into its collar a little to stop it tripping. Keep a small, but light, length of string in contact at all time. Don't walk too fast. Fine-tune in public places where there is no game scent.

bugger, mine the opposite, heals off lead but on lead he pulls a little. i was told that he must know that when i say heal it means he walk at my side. so from a standing start with dog on left, as soon as i swing my left foot forward and the dog starts to move i say heal. then if he is in the right place as my foot touches the floor on my second step of left foot then he gets told that hes good.

it is starting to work so i think im getting there. taken 3 moths so far. but, i can let him off the lead and tell him to go play. then call him back and say 'heal' he will walk at my side until in release or pu lead on.

im new so i can only go by what i have been taught and read.

Phil

What I did with mine was to blow the stop whistle every time he got in front of my legs. Then reach down and grab a handfull by the scruff of his neck and lift him up and back into the heal position and say HEAL !! Once he got the message it wasnt too bad. After that I used my stick like a pendulum in front of him sometimes . (If you start hitting his rrs with the stick too often he will work out the range of your arm and stay just outside your reach ! )You see that quite often on a shoot day when someones dog always stays just outside stick range !!

I also use a " Hiss" sometimes as well

The old advice of walking to heal along side a fence is still good for today .You cut down his area he can use and it makes him easier to correct .

What I did with mine was to blow the stop whistle every time he got in front of my legs. Then reach down and grab a handfull by the scruff of his neck and lift him up and back into the heal position and say HEAL !! Once he got the message it wasnt too bad. After that I used my stick like a pendulum in front of him sometimes . (If you start hitting his rrs with the stick too often he will work out the range of your arm and stay just outside your reach ! )You see that quite often on a shoot day when someones dog always stays just outside stick range !!

I also use a " Hiss" sometimes as well

The old advice of walking to heal along side a fence is still good for today .You cut down his area he can use and it makes him easier to correct .

Thats about the best advice i have heard im gona try that!!!! :clapper:

Guest Catcher

Hi mate every time the dog brakes from heal.Call it back sit down for five mins then start again If it try,s to move before you do put the lead on.You have to remeber a young cocker is just busting whit energy.It takes time and effort .It will soon relise who is the master.atb cather. :thumbs:

I use a thin whippy willow and flick it back and forth in front of the dog- because of the speed it is invisible and if he goes forward it touches his nose and irritates him. They quickly learn to stay at heel until you give the release command. The advice about walking along a fence is sound.

Edited by welshboy454

WALK YOUR DOG TO HEAL ON THE LEAD IF HE DRIFTS CHANGE DIRECTION

QUICKLY AND PULL HIM TO HEAL , DO THIS FEW TIMES HE WILL SOON GET

THE IDEA , LEAVE THE LEAD ON TUCKING THE SURPLUS LEAD IN AROUND HIS NECK

HE WILL THINK HE IS STILL ON THE LEAD , GET ANOTHER LEAD AND SWING IT ROUND TO PASS IN FRONT OF YOU AS YOU WALK IF HE COMES FORWARD THE LEAD WILL CATCH HIM ON THE NOSE OR HEAD, AGAIN HE WILL SOON COTTON ON , I DON'T THINK HITTING A COCKER WITH A STICK IS THE RIGHT THING AS THEY ARE USUALLY VERY TEMPERAMENTAL AND NEED A LITTLE MORE PATIENCE