retrieving

I have a 2 year old collie greyhound dog that hasnt clicked on to the retrieving,he will bring anything back to me but a rabbit :( this summer i,m going to try everything ican to correct this ,but if he wont ,what.......He is quite a good dog,good out ferreting awsome on the lamp always catching more than his fair share compared to other dogs ive been out with,he runs hard,turns well and good to watch...for me when i first started out which was a fair while ago,it was all about the thrill of the chase and probably still is now...ive had dogs that retrieve and that was the icing on the cake but if your going out with other dogs that retrive but dont catch half the rabbits how important is it??

I have a 2 year old collie greyhound dog that hasnt clicked on to the retrieving,he will bring anything back to me but a rabbit :( this summer i,m going to try everything ican to correct this ,but if he wont ,what.......He is quite a good dog,good out ferreting awsome on the lamp always catching more than his fair share compared to other dogs ive been out with,he runs hard,turns well and good to watch...for me when i first started out which was a fair while ago,it was all about the thrill of the chase and probably still is now...ive had dogs that retrieve and that was the icing on the cake but if your going out with other dogs that retrive but dont catch half the rabbits how important is it??

Not sure as im not into these types of dogs to be honest, i have Springers so its impotant for them to flush and retrieve.

You could wrap a Bunny skin around a dummy...give him a couple of retrieves using a normal dummy and then replace this with one with a rabbit skin on, thow the dummy o place it in the same place as the previous ones and give him loads of encouragement...you should have him retrieving on the rabbit in no time.

Worked with my springers but my prob is that i dont have any rabbits around Bristol what i can find anyway to train the dogs on flushing etc

Hope this helps

It is nice to have a lurcher that will retrieve mate my 1 lurcher does retrieve pretty well and a couple of my other dont realy bother but thats down to my own doing but its totally down to what you want i think

It is nice to have a lurcher that will retrieve mate my 1 lurcher does retrieve pretty well and a couple of my other dont realy bother but thats down to my own doing but its totally down to what you want i think

My Deerhound isn't too hot on retrieving game. Once he's caught it he tends just to stand there and pin it to the ground and wait for me to come over and collect it. It's not really a problem as long as he doesn't let it go. Which is why I've not really pushed the training with him. I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things, it's not like a gundog that you send out to pick something up.

It's not important if you enjoy walking about in the dark looking for it's kill or wandering round fields looking for a kill thats happend out of sight during the day. Slightly better if you got someone who will run after the dog and bring the kill back for you. :) Retreiving is one of the easiest things to teach a dog as a puppy....bottom line is if you can live with it it's not a problem I spose ;)

I can live with a dog not retrieving but it's so much bloody better if they do! My collie/grey was a natural retriever, but my bull/grey bitch wasn't keen to bring back whatsoever but as long as she catchesi couldn't care less really. I am teaching my new pup to retrieve though and it is so much easier with a pup. ;)

Ive had lurchers [colliexs,bullxs etc.....] and they will bring back rabbits, right to hand. And ive had lurchers that wont retrieve :( , and i have trained them all the same way, work than one out :o You get some lurchers that will bring back any dummy- ball no probs, but once they get a feckin live rabbit all that feckin training goes out of the window. :( It the x over to game, from dummy work, as i said ive had some and no probs, bring rabbits right to me. Then other feckers, will kill or hold but bring. My dog now is inconstant retrieving, some times right to you with a rabbit, and some times will only bring back 1/2 way, you carnt work the feckers out??. Still as long as the catch+fill the bag, and he as had 95 rabbits, 3 hares, in the lamp not bad for a 16 month old dog. ;)

Ive had lurchers [colliexs,bullxs etc.....] and they will bring back rabbits, right to hand. And ive had lurchers that wont retrieve :( , and i have trained them all the same way, work than one out :o You get some lurchers that will bring back any dummy- ball no probs, but once they get a feckin live rabbit all that feckin training goes out of the window. :( It the x over to game, from dummy work, as i said ive had some and no probs, bring rabbits right to me. Then other feckers, will kill or hold but bring. My dog now is inconstant retrieving, some times right to you with a rabbit, and some times will only bring back 1/2 way, you carnt work the feckers out??. Still as long as the catch+fill the bag, and he as had 95 rabbits, 3 hares, in the lamp not bad for a 16 month old dog. ;)