any tips, other than not to shoot myself?

fired my first ever shot out of my boyfriends 243 (i think its a shot gun i cant remember its all past me) anyway hes going to teach me how to shoot as i like trying new types of hunting, although at the moment i dont think its as fun as working my dog but we shal see

just want some tips, the basics pretty much....my first hurdle was the fact i cant wink so had to do it with one hand over my eye :laugh:

fired my first ever shot out of my boyfriends 243 (i think its a shot gun i cant remember its all past me) anyway hes going to teach me how to shoot as i like trying new types of hunting, although at the moment i dont think its as fun as working my dog but we shal see

just want some tips, the basics pretty much....my first hurdle was the fact i cant wink so had to do it with one hand over my eye :laugh:

Get your dogs to work the cover, then have a shotgun handy - that's very good fun and combines both.

You need to get the eye issue sorted - being able to see helps your shooting no end! are you left or right handed? Most people who are right handed are right-eye dominant, and most who are left handed are left eye dominant. This means that even with both eyes open, one eye's image is preferred by the brain. For example, I am right handed, and often shoot my rifle with both eyes open. I can do this as the brain superimposes my right eye's image in preference to the left, so I keep peripheral vision, as well as seeing through the scope. So have a look down the scope, first with your left, then your right eye (shoulder the gun as a left hander for left eye, right hander for right eye).

You may find you're cross eye dominant, so right handed but left eye dominant. The trick back when I was learning rifle shooting in school was a headband with a piece of card blocking the offending eye - allows you to see and shoot no problem.

Also, a guy I know has been teaching shooting for donkey's years, he was telling me that girls can change eye dominance when it's their time of the month. I have not confirmed this, but I did ask him if he was joking; he was deadly serious.

Hope this helps :) Reading it back it seems confusing but I can't think of better words right now!

Some good advice there. We all have to start somewhere, but maybe a .243 is a bit up the ladder to start with. [no offence!] A shotgun would be a good starting point and a lot cheaper to use. You have one of the best clay shooting grounds near you at Bywell. Book a lesson there with a coach and you will learn alot. I was there back in November with a group and it was amazing how many people had dominant eye trouble. Going back again at the end of May. They would get you off to a very safe start and maybe your boyfriend can also keep helping you. Good luck and safe shooting!

Fastrac10

thank you for the info....he also has a 22. but the scope is too far away from were you have to put your shoulder (dont know the technical words) for me so he is thinking of changing it for a diffrent one that we can both use but he loves it so i think i will just have toi struggle

people have been saying that the 243 is a bit of a crazy thing to choose to start with but its easier for me than the 22 and it has like little legs (once again dont know the word) that it stands on so you can lie down and stays still and the scope( i know one technical word woop woop) is closer

iam also left handed so going to practice the eye thing to see which is most comfortable for me......and "mr logic" i will have to test that eye dominance thing at that time of the month....i dont think that is true myself :laugh:

Some good advice there. We all have to start somewhere, but maybe a .243 is a bit up the ladder to start with. [no offence!] A shotgun would be a good starting point and a lot cheaper to use. You have one of the best clay shooting grounds near you at Bywell. Book a lesson there with a coach and you will learn alot. I was there back in November with a group and it was amazing how many people had dominant eye trouble. Going back again at the end of May. They would get you off to a very safe start and maybe your boyfriend can also keep helping you. Good luck and safe shooting!

Fastrac10

might give them a bell when i have a bit extra cash, thank you, the boyfriend has a shotgun aswel but he dont seem to use that as much

yeah the safety thing is why im asking for advice because they are such powerful bits of equiptment i got the mick taken out of me when i asked if it was going to explode or not :icon_redface: