ferreting with out locators and nets

I have never used a locator. I dont see the point really! If you dont go ferreting when the season is finished then because there aint many babies when we all go back to it, there is less chance of the ferret stayin below the ground. Im just patient to wait for them to rise. Other than that i would fill in the hole and come back for the ferret the nxt day.

FM

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never used a locator. I dont see the point really! If you dont go ferreting when the season is finished then because there aint many babies when we all go back to it, there is less chance of the ferret stayin below the ground. Im just patient to wait for them to rise. Other than that i would fill in the hole and come back for the ferret the nxt day.

FM

Some of us want or need to do more than a couple of burrows a day and dont have time to wait

Have used them, but don't often.

Would rather use one than not, but I'm easy either way. Give my ferrets a good feed the night before, and a snack in the morning & hey presto. Haven't waited more than 30 mins for one to show in over two years.

i think most of us are the same maltenby, my ferrets alway emerge after a short time. its just the fact your probly leaving many rabbits underground, that may only be a foot or less underground :thumbs:

That's the thing mate, your catch rate will deffo improve with a locator. :yes:

I will get one myself at some point, but it really gets on my nerves when people insist that they're 100% essential, and you shouldn't ferret without one. :yes:

if you are not using locaters you are loosing a lot of rabbits. sometimes a ferret can back up 3 or 4 rabbits in a stop and without a locator you wouldnt be able to get them out

how do you know the ferret has killed underground ,fur on the claws only indicates a ferret scratching a rabbit try a locator and you will find most of the rabbits are alive your ferrets may be quitters and only by digging can you be sure of a kill

steve