Do people really whack their ferrets on the head to save a vets bill?

9 times out of 10 an experienced ferret owner would be able to quite accuratly diagnose the problem and make an informed decision about the quality of life, suffering and prognosis. With out that experience then a vets advice should be sought. A ferret pts at the vets suffers more than if it is shot at home, they have to inject into the heart or liver and this cuases severe discomfort for the few seconds it takes. A well placed pellet and its all over but again experience is needed to do this correctly. I think its a case of passing on our experiences to those who want to learn BUT we are beginning to close ranks and become very suspicious of people who ask questions that seem common knowledge to those more experienced, and i cant say i blame anyone for being that way but hopefully the laws will soon change to allow us once again to be open and proud of our heritage :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only times I've despatched any ferret or dog was because it would no longer be able to enjoy the quality of life it was used to because of what ailed it.

I will not see any of mine suffer.

I've had many of both unable to work well anymore but happy in thier retirement for years.

Unfortunatley thier life span is a lot shorter than ours.and we have to deal with it.

I would never keep an animal alive for my sake, (Which many so called animal lovers do)

Seeing an aged dog in a wheeled harness because it's @rse end has given up IS cruelty to the animal.

They do their best for you.you should do your best for them

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink: >>>>> :sick:

(EDITED SPELLING)

Totally agree you saved me a lot of typing :clapper::clapper:

Whats wrong with people, vets wouldnt cost you nothing for example if you

setup a direct debit/or just put £2.50 in a savings acount each week it would mount up then you wouldnt miss it when you need it..

Its all down to people been tight, but realy should consider if you can afford vet treatment if needed before taking on the animal..

I think it depends on the problem with the ferret and the ability of the owner to kill it efficiently and painlessly.

In a 'kicking' scenario there's not an issue. You just do it.

if it's a long-term debilitating illness with no quality of life then it's the vets for me.

I also think there's a difference between 'being alive' and 'being conscious'. I strongly suspect that a ferret with it's skull split open, if alive would be unconscious till death.

I have been trawling though pages and pages of web sites to find the leglisation that supports my arguement I have not found the exact one but i will. I am glad I have common sense to know its not legal to kill a ferret with a batter on the head some people astound me. I will find it and I will put it on here watch this space.

You will not find any legislation supporting your view. In the eyes of the law, your animals are classed as your property. It is not an offence to destroy your own property. It's against the law to be cruel to an animal, but if you destroy it without being cruel, there's not a court in the country that could convict you.

It is only an offence to kill a protected species, and seeing as how the domesticated ferret is not a protected species, you can do whatever you want to do to it, as long as it's not classed as cruelty.

I have been trawling though pages and pages of web sites to find the leglisation that supports my arguement I have not found the exact one but i will. I am glad I have common sense to know its not legal to kill a ferret with a batter on the head some people astound me. I will find it and I will put it on here watch this space.

You will not find any legislation supporting your view. In the eyes of the law, your animals are classed as your property. It is not an offence to destroy your own property. It's against the law to be cruel to an animal, but if you destroy it without being cruel, there's not a court in the country that could convict you.

It is only an offence to kill a protected species, and seeing as how the domesticated ferret is not a protected species, you can do whatever you want to do to it, as long as it's not classed as cruelty.

Well that clears that up then, exactly what i 'thought' i knew but wasnt 100%.

When people say "knock on the head", generally they mean to kill it not neccesarilly to literally knock it on the head. Imo an air pistol/rifle is THE most humane method of euthanising a ferret, no need to take it to the vets for a painfull injection. If thats what some people would prefer to do then thats their business but for me a pellet straight into the brain is the best. Nothing stressfull or painfull in the slightest. And i can assure anyone that my decisions are based entirely on the welfare of the ferret and the cost of a vet doesnt enter my mind for one second. So those that might be of the opinion that i'm tight or stingey or whatever are mistaken, (thats not aimed at anyone in particular).

The animals welfare comes first no matter what, all the best :victory:

brl,found anything yet? ive been looking and cant find f**k all.

No give up I must be wrong, I might ask the vet next time I am in, so i wonder does this mean drowning an pups is legal too?? Who knows? It s not the point really about legal or not the vet can give them a wee jab and its done, you could tap them on the head and thier skull could open but they may live for five mins or more, I suppose if a ferret came out of a hole and its eyes were out from a near fatal kicking then I would end the suffering but to do it cos you cant be bothered to go to the vet and pay a tenner thats not right.

a lot of this is down to the fact that the people putting them out of there misery is the fact that the people doning it can feel it so they want no what its like to feel the pain.

i have seen people kill they pets and its not nice they think its stil alive because its moving so they shoot it again or hit it not nice at all.

i no vets are dear but they inject it and it fall s to sleep in seconds and does not move so vets for me mate

If its not ilegal to euthanize a domestic animal someone put up the legislation that proves it

BRL I'll give you an instance,I had a pit bitch that had a cancerous tumour on its liver and had no choice but to be put to sleep.I asked the vet if it would be ok to put her to sleep myself as it was £120 to have it done by him.He said not a problem once it was humanely done,he even told me he thought a .22 rifle was faster than his method.From that I understand it is not illegal as he would not have agreed for me to do it.If a ferret need to be PTS I use .22 shorts,made for indoor pigeon,rat shooting.Quick effective and painless.I dont agree with taping any animal on the head,it looks very unprofessional and cruel to anyone looking in from the outside.

Edited by jigsaw