Elaine Murray MSP comments on Deer stalking

Hi Everyone

So there is this white roe buck in D&G and the rights to stalk it is being auctioned to raise cash.

Whatever our thoughts on this it is how the rural economy works...end of

The local MSP Elaine Murray described the hunting of this "dysfunctional" (my quotes) roe buck as "disgusting" (her quotes) in the Sunday Times yesterday.

I wrote to her this morning........

Dr Murray MSP

I saw your very narrow minded comment in the Sunday Times (8th March) about the role of a small rural business in auctioning the right to stalk and potentially kill a dysfunctional wild roe deer buck in your constituency. Can you confirm please, whether your comment was a form of conservation racism? In that you would not find the killing of wild deer during an annual cull quota for the sake of limiting deer population growth, protecting forests, preserving biodiversity, generating income and much needed employment for small rural businesses in the recreation, transport and food preparation sectors disgusting if those said deer were of a different colour to the animal in question? Say the wild-type colour? Or perhaps the other forms of melanism that is sometimes seen in natural populations?

I find your comment interesting given your link to the save our forests campaign. It suggests that you have little comprehension of how closely linked the generation of forests, natural or otherwise, is to the managemnet of an ever increasing deer population. Conservation conflicts are best governed with co-operation and wise use of sweeping generalisations. You, a person of supposed governance, seem to have failed on that one.

Can you also confirm if this is the stance of your party? That the right to sell stalking rights is disgusting and that you are not interested in supporting/protecting small rural businesses, deer population control, sustainable hunting by law abiding citizens and biodiversity?

I look forward to hearing a more professional reply that your comments in the times.

Your sincerely

A concerned Scottish born hunter and regular visitor to Scotland to spend my salary on hunting/fishing.

Dr Tom C Cameron

and got the following reply

Dear Mr Cameron

We will have to agree to differ on this matter. I will not be replying in detail to the ridiculous allegations in your e-mail. You are not a constituent so I am under no obligation to repond

Yours sincerely

Elaine Murray MSP

I replied...........

Dr Murray

I appreciate your concerns about responding. And please read my email again. They were not allegations, other than saying the comment was narrow minded which cannot be debated, but descriptions of what your comments left me thinking and questions seeking clarification on what you found disgusting and why?

I would appreciate that you take the time to debate your stance on the matter as you have left me, and no doubt others, confused.

Additionally I have asked you to confirm whether your comment represents your party? Are you not an ambassador for the Scottish Labour Party, a party that my family who lives in the NE still support, financially, voluntarily and via votes. I am happy to pass on my interpretations of these proceedings to them as it stands, but I expect you to have a more considered response now that you have had time to think.

As for obligation. Your call; I see you were previously a postdoctoral scientist, as a scientist I like to provide an argument that supports my actions.

As you are currently an MSP I would expect no less.

All your silence will result in is several written letters asking the same questions from your constituents within a week.

My Best wishes

Dr Tom C Cameron

So............if you are a stalker/hunter/country person and a member/supporter of her constituency or any of her partner Labour MSP/MP from that or neighbouring constituencies, please let her have it via email at

(Elaine.Murray.msp at scottish.parliament.uk) Note: correct the email address before sending

Also if you happen to live in an area that has a Labour MP/MSP it will do no harm to have a go at them so she can get a bit of pressure put on her for being so bloddy narrow minded!!!!

Living la viva lobbying

Tom

Edited by tom1cameron

I have received some communication suggesting that the problem here is that any MSP would have said the same thing given the lack of tact about going public about the auction of stalking right for such an iconic animal.

The auction itself is bad PR for stalking perhaps, but that does not make the bias in the press any less incorrect.

I am still annoyed that this MSP left the impression, whether she meant to or not, that stalking in general is butchery and that the stalking rights owner has no right to sub-let the kill (which he does) and that others have a right for it not to be killed without supporting the rural economy.

So if you are local to this MSP it is perhaps wise to less antagonistic than I was and ask that the matter be clarified as the impression left is that it appears to be about stalking in general and the use of trophy animas to raise rural income and not about this one animal....

I dont know....... who said I've had too much coffee............

Edited by tom1cameron

Good on you Tom get into her the narrow minded opinions of people that bleet & know nowt amaze me deer welfare is a serious mater & deer can cause serious harm to them selves & habitat round them if left unmannaged & then there would be disgust on that area with sick/thin deer dying every where.

Well thats is what I was thinking, but I have been led to beleive that ultimately she is a good egg for the countryside views but that her hand was forced by the rather untactful publication of the auction of the opportunity to kill what is a "rare" phenotype of roe deer.

So...I have made my piece to her and I am backing off a bitty. I think it would still be useful to have one of her constituents ask her to clarify her position on stalking and the selling/sub letting of stalking rights in Scotland as a valuable asset and make sure she is only concerned about this type of auction?

Any takers?

needs to be her constituency in D&G for her to obligated to make a reply, and it may have more impact if local. All that said I feel a bit bad now as I have been told she has been very supportive for "us" in other areas and that she had no choice but to speak out against this type of auction

needs to be her constituency in D&G for her to obligated to make a reply, and it may have more impact if local. All that said I feel a bit bad now as I have been told she has been very supportive for "us" in other areas and that she had no choice but to speak out against this type of auction

well done tom you tell her,they forget we put them there!..good man..... all the best davie