my dog Trigger

I was at a friends house the other day and the topic of taking pups out lamping was brought to my attention buy him after he had read about someone taking there pup out at a young age on this site so i have joined this site to tell you a little about my working dog. I have a four and a half year old lurchur dog called Trigger. Trigger started his nights out lamping at only 8 weeks old he was taken almost every night for up to four hours walking he had practicly no help at all from me to overcome any fence or obsticle after a couple of weeks of this he started to improve on the time it was taking to get through the fences and overcome whatever obsticals we may have come across. Each evening we got home i noticed the nettle stings had been getting to him has he couldnt lie still for half an hour or so when we got back home. however this never took him long to get used to and never stoped him pushing through them on any nights lamping. Buy the age of 12 weeks he was allready showing great intrest in what was going on when my other lamping dog was giving me the rabbit she had caught. When he was exactly 4 months to the day i took trigger and his sister who one of my friends owned out for a nights lamping and he had allredy gained enough knowledge to work the lamp and would go down the beem and would even make a put for a squatter this was the night the pups caught there very first rabbit on the lamp. From that night onwards trigger went lamping on his own and worked the beam well he was unable to catch his first single handed rabbit untill 5 and half months buy this time he was getting over or through 98% of fences and i never had to worry about him. As the last couple of the lamping season months past he got bigger and the amount of rabbits he caught got bigger. At the age of 12 months the second season was just starting for trigger buy this time he had the brains and stamina to catch double figures for fun and our nights out have been very rewarding. When he was 16 months old i run him with a whippetXbedlington on the lamp and went home having caught 51 rabbits both dogs run together on every rabbit. The past twelve months of work he had done from the age of 8 weeks i belive had developed him with both the brains and the stamina to be able to do this. since then he has caught many large amounts he catchs 20s and 30s often when lamping and has had great sucksess on other UK quarry. he has caught 44 rabbits on his best night out on his own it did take him just over 4 hours to catch them but he done it. the last night in september last year again running him at the same time as another dog we managed to catch 52 rabbits thats both dogs together. I totally agree with taking pups out at only 8 weeks old it is the only way to get an outstanding dog. I would go as far as saying that a lurcher who hasnt had this sort of up bringing is no where near in the same league as a dog that goes out at 8 weeks old. Trigger has grown into a strong dog with good strong feet end teeth and is very well educated and inteligent which i owe to taking him out so young he is still as keen as ever and hardly picks up injurys. he wouldnt of been half the dog he is now if he didnt have a early education.

what a silly fool you are sorry but your first post and thats what you put :no:

im not gonna bang on about starting the pups that age cos i think your deluded

and this confirms it {qoute}

When he was 16 months old i run him with a whippetXbedlington on the lamp and went home having caught 51 rabbits both dogs run together on every rabbit.

Numpty

whats deluded running two dogs or catching 51 rabbits? All i have done is stated some of my dogs achievments. In my book they are some good achievments for any dog and something to be proud of.

why run 2 dogs on a 1 rabbit :icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface:

same reason people run 2 dogs on a big eared rabbit.

2 dogs 1 rabbit bit of fare friendly compatition with a friend. both dogs run the same rabbit so buy the end of the night they have done near enough the same amount of running the dog who has caught the most rabbits was the better on the night. makes it a pretty fare compatition to me as no two rabbits run the same.

well you wanna ba ashamed of yourself running 2 dogs on a rabbit, its wrong mate 1 dog 1 rabbit and 1 dog 1 bigger rabbit. If you gonna be havin a bit fun with a mate take turns in slipping, you obviously got the rabbits on your land so its not as if you not gonna get a few runs each. Your wrong runnin two dogs on a rabbit and so is everyone else who will slip two dogs on a rabbit. ok sometimes it happens if the other dog somehow gets loose or if your letting a young dog run down the beam with a older dog to learn his trade.

this is the last time i will be replying on this thread you obviously have no respect for your quarry or for the sport goodbye sir

You should report him for cruelty

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jessy
why would you want to run two dogs on rabbits for ????

I run two dogs to compare there fittness and stamina. You can not get an idea off which dog has the most stamina if you run them seperate because one dog could have a easy run and the other a hard run there for one dog as had a harder run than the other which makes it harder to tell who has the fittest dog. if they run together they are doing near enough the same amount of running and you get a better idea of who has the fittest dog one will always tire before the other. like i said before a nice friendly fun way to compare dogs. some nights winner takes all the one whos dog catchs the most has the bag. its just makes nights out a little more interesting i reckon.

dont even bother to explain some thing different on her you are wasting your breath and time .best to leave the pet owners get on with what they do best . ;)
I just dont agree with the 8 weeks stuff hes comming out with,you must bond or how will the dog now whos boss,3 months then let them have a look out no running and when the fast enough to run a rabbit cant see a problem realy as running around playing is just the same as running one or two easy rabbits day or night at like 5-6 months but i would not go as far as the double slips or running them four nights a week im talking a quick mooch and as few runs a week untill around 10-12 months and go from there!

Dogs that have always been slipped ,in my opinion have no stamina

:nono:

I just dont agree with the 8 weeks stuff hes comming out with,you must bond or how will the dog now whos boss,3 months then let them have a look out no running and when the fast enough to run a rabbit cant see a problem realy as running around playing is just the same as running one or two easy rabbits day or night at like 5-6 months but i would not go as far as the double slips or running them four nights a week im talking a quick mooch and as few runs a week untill around 10-12 months and go from there!

:nono::nono: are you a moon man!

I was at a friends house the other day and the topic of taking pups out lamping was brought to my attention buy him after he had read about someone taking there pup out at a young age on this site so i have joined this site to tell you a little about my working dog. I have a four and a half year old lurchur dog called Trigger. Trigger started his nights out lamping at only 8 weeks old he was taken almost every night for up to four hours walking he had practicly no help at all from me to overcome any fence or obsticle after a couple of weeks of this he started to improve on the time it was taking to get through the fences and overcome whatever obsticals we may have come across. Each evening we got home i noticed the nettle stings had been getting to him has he couldnt lie still for half an hour or so when we got back home. however this never took him long to get used to and never stoped him pushing through them on any nights lamping. Buy the age of 12 weeks he was allready showing great intrest in what was going on when my other lamping dog was giving me the rabbit she had caught. When he was exactly 4 months to the day i took trigger and his sister who one of my friends owned out for a nights lamping and he had allredy gained enough knowledge to work the lamp and would go down the beem and would even make a put for a squatter this was the night the pups caught there very first rabbit on the lamp. From that night onwards trigger went lamping on his own and worked the beam well he was unable to catch his first single handed rabbit untill 5 and half months buy this time he was getting over or through 98% of fences and i never had to worry about him. As the last couple of the lamping season months past he got bigger and the amount of rabbits he caught got bigger. At the age of 12 months the second season was just starting for trigger buy this time he had the brains and stamina to catch double figures for fun and our nights out have been very rewarding. When he was 16 months old i run him with a whippetXbedlington on the lamp and went home having caught 51 rabbits both dogs run together on every rabbit. The past twelve months of work he had done from the age of 8 weeks i belive had developed him with both the brains and the stamina to be able to do this. since then he has caught many large amounts he catchs 20s and 30s often when lamping and has had great sucksess on other UK quarry. he has caught 44 rabbits on his best night out on his own it did take him just over 4 hours to catch them but he done it. the last night in september last year again running him at the same time as another dog we managed to catch 52 rabbits thats both dogs together. I totally agree with taking pups out at only 8 weeks old it is the only way to get an outstanding dog. I would go as far as saying that a lurcher who hasnt had this sort of up bringing is no where near in the same league as a dog that goes out at 8 weeks old. Trigger has grown into a strong dog with good strong feet end teeth and is very well educated and inteligent which i owe to taking him out so young he is still as keen as ever and hardly picks up injurys. he wouldnt of been half the dog he is now if he didnt have a early education.
your a goat what a load of shit 4 miles 8 weeks first rabbit 16 weeks TWAT
:nono:

:nono::nono: are you a moon man!

Talk civil and i will explain

everything has stamina, slipping doesnt make a difference, if you are out working them or running them or walking them, or bke riding with them, putting them on a treadmill, all build up stamina, just because it was slipped doesnt mean it cant run

no need to explain your talking rubish as usual

and your being a COCK again

thank you deerman i se you have imurged from under your stone again its still daylight be carefull

are you a pakie theres loads where your from arent there,

I wasnt going to comment on this thread as i did on Grits on previously and in all honesty it just falls on deaf ears.....

At the end of the day if the method works for you then so be it but that doesnt mean it is agreed with or thought highly of...most people with common sense know that a pups bone structure and muscle hasn't fully developed therefore more often then not the exercise you both choose to put your pups through at a young age is criminal and generally does more damage then good......my bull x bitch was worked from a young age before i got her and as a result of being run to hard on quarry impossible for her to take at such an age she has flat feet...they luckly do not affect her speed...her turning nor stamina when fit........but she does unforutnetly more often then not get injuries to her feet.....i would like to add before any of the 'newbies' start asking questions about my dog that my bitch is 7years old and doesn't do any hard graft anymore but she is certainly more then a pet and i will never stop her doing what she loves, a good friend and i take her out as and when but she is certainly not a dog that would bring you home 51 rabbits a night and never was...she was not bred or built for that but what she does do makes me proud and i could ask no more out of her she gives 110% for me all the time and has the heart of a lion and i wouldnt change her for the world...i am in no way a know it all...in fact im still quite a novice but learning all the time and with the help of some of the good people of this site i hope to continue learning all the time so as to bring out the best in my dog and myself but i do know a thing or two about dogs in general and the exercise being givern to these pups at such an age could cause damage in any breed especially the larger ones not just running dogs......

but as for the stamina arguement going on.....its BS....when i got my bitch at 2 she had done some hard graft so i rested her up for a while didnt let her get super unfit but there was no way she was lamping fit....but as i race her as well i wanted to re-gain this which was done....it was a lengthy process but with bike rides...road walks some treadmill sessions when i had one availiable to me she was back on top form and running well...so a dog doesnt need to be run from a pup to have amazing/endless stamina....

I dont know Jessy or DEERMAN nor do i particularly want to all you both seem to do on this thread and grits alike is throw insults to get peoples backs up....Jessy you are amazingly well talented at contridicting yourself and you talk about your amazing dogs and how many they can take in a night yet when asked to produce a photo of said dogs you refuse....makes you start to wonder is your dogs exsist???? At least Genuine people like TOMO have reason and proof to boast about such large quantitys in a night and have put the pics up to back him up and show that his dogs are in the best condition possible...wel done TOMO..awesome pics by the way...

and DEERMAN...all ive seen from you is insults no actual input of any merit or help...just insult although if name calling and racial slurs is all you can muster up when you have no actual knowledge then maybe you should think before you type you know to make sure everything is spelt correctly so there will be one less thing to critise you on....

Now i understand that some new forum users..Grit..Trigger...Jessy and maybe DEERMAN(i didnt pay that much attention to him dont know how new he is or isnt) want to stick together as you did this post as its practically the same to grits post nd well thats how all of this started but you are all deluded if you think that your A)going to make any friends on here who actually know what they are talking about and B)if you think in the long run people on here are going to offeryou their advice should you ever really need it or take yours should you ever have any sensible advice to give....

As a first post Trigger this was a bad one to put up but hey ho....whats done is done...unfortunetly for you and the others mentioned (excluding TOMO) there are a lot of well thought of...incredibly knowledgeable dog men on here who have been in the game for a very long time who will disagree with your methods whole heartedly but thats the donside to putting this post up before thinking about especially if you knew the hassel grit was getting for it....