Trapping Voles (Field Mice)

good demo mate. but in the uk we have field mice and voles two different rodents. our voles are very rare highly protected as they are almost wiped out, they look similar to your voles but slightly smaller. as for field mice thousands of them but you wouldnt realy get them like that in gardens easier to catch but over here we would just poison them.

We have two voles; the field vole and bank vole. Neither of which are rare or protected and I believe can be controlled as they come under "small ground vermin".

The water vole on the other hand is locally rare and definetely fully protected.

I have never trapped voles personally but have been asked a couple of times so the video was useful. The other alternative would be a live catch such as the Longworth trap and relocate away from human habitation.

Do bank voles(uk), cause much of a problem? I have seen one around my field, I choose to leave it alone and have never known a problem with it, it seemed to have very poor eye sight.

I walked right up to it and it did not seem to notice, I put a little soil on it and it started screaming at me.

Thanks, Rolfe. The voles are funny in that their populations run in cycles over a period of three or four years. So we'll get two or three years in a row where we only see an occasional vole on our accounts. And then we'll get a year where their population explodes, and we have to catch them in huge numbers.

We do mole on gopher control on hundreds of residential accounts on an ongoing basis, and in 2008 we caught literally thousands of voles on our properties. In most years, most of our accounts don't have any voles at all, but in 2008 we were catching more voles than moles of gophers. And they can do a lot of damage when their numbers are high.

Good set up there mate .Voles in this country are mainly found with a roof over their heads ,ie in long grass, under plastic or wood and dont cause much of a problem in gardens .Its also the main food of several raptors which are nice to see including the barn owl .

No, the set-up on the run didn't catch anything, and wasn't touched. Hopefully that's because there was just one vole active in these tunnels. In February, their populations are pretty low, as they're not breeding this time of year. In the spring or summer, I'd be very surprised to catch just one in this type of situation, but this time of year, that's possible.

I caught one in a mole trap this afternoon. So why not use mole traps to them in their runs?

time limit I would think would be a big factor, why make the job harder, watching the clip, traps and cover could be laid in seconds at each entrance/exit hole, rather than digging,setting,filling in, idividual mole traps, just my thoughts mind