Deben MK3m

Right, I've noticed a lot of people struggling with the new MK3's, I have'nt experienced the same problems that everyone else seems to, my MK3 marks down to six inches every time, and on search its excellent, so I thought I would post this, I'm not saying that I'm an expert,because I'm not, but here is how I use mine, first chuck your chosen ferret into your chosen hole after switching on and testing your collars, leave your locator on search, the colour of your ferret makes no difference :D Assuming your ferret has lept down the tunnel and has killed under ground or you just want to know where it is,and you dont have ex ray eyes :D , switch on your locator and hold as in figure 1.post-24513-1233786464.jpg You have to hold it bang on horizontal to search accurately, stuff watching the LED's, they are pretty, but you should be listening, have a good sweep around until your happy that you cant get any closer, now the rocket science bit :blink: , you must now be in a panic because your best worker is stuck underground :o , well stop panicing and switch your shiny locator onto locate, check out figure 2.post-24513-1233787365_thumb.jpg You may while in your state of panic have wondered why you have just flicked a switch on your locator, the reason is that you have just changed the angle of your search to vertical, Deben say that its because you have to have a stronger signal to penetrate soil, and on search the locator uses a weaker signal, because you dont want to pick up every bit of magnetic source and metal for miles do you :no: . again, stuff the lights, listen to the locator, get it as near as you can, and then touch the ground with it until you get the best pinpoint you can, but above all keep it bolt upright. Now look at the depth on the LED's while its touching the ground,now have a bit of a dig testing with your locator as you go, and with a bit of luck, you should have located your ferret to within 6 inches without chopping it in half :( , well done :clapper: , now go and do some ferreting, and dont forget to post it on here with pics, or no one will believe you cought owt, Aah, before I forget, I modified my locator with a volume control. figure 3post-24513-1233788689.jpg I used duct tape because there will come a time when your working near traffic or some noisy git, and you then also have the option to peel a bit back, and when the noisey gits have gone you can stick it back down again, hope this helps anyone who is struggling with this good but very expencive kit. THE END.

Edited by stealthy1
  • Like 3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right, I've noticed a lot of people struggling with the new MK3's, I have'nt experienced the same problems that everyone else seems to, my MK3 marks down to six inches every time, and on search its ex

Not sticking up for Deben on the price front, but it is a very good piece of kit, ianB's selling them cheap on here, best time to buy is in the Summer when they are cheaper.

The dial on the bottom zero's in your search or locate, as far as I know you can only use the same size batteries that Deben state in the instuctions.

Posted Images

Its my first season with the MK3's, and they have'nt gone flat yet, if I get a minute I'll take them apart and tell you what they are, Mrs bought them from local jeweler, I dont expect them to die before the end of the season, MK3m collars can be switched off when you get home, makes batteries last longer.

• Like 1

Stealthy, I think you have just helped alot of people there with your pics. Could you add some showing the pinpoint adjustment while you are at it? It took me a year to get to grips with the mk3. I think Debens literature is a bit confusing for the locator but perseverance does pay dividends.

because you dont want to pick up every bit of magnetic source and metal for miles do you

which won't happen with a mk3 because of the frequency it uses (although your mobile will interfere with a mk 3 if it's within a few inches of the locater)....you will however experience problems with the new crappy oversized magnetic collars, usually reduced signal if around metal fences or ground with a high instance of metals or even more usually a signal that is very erratic......in my experience that is ;)

batteries for the old collars are 394

and for the new collar are 393

the batteries MUST be silver oxide NOT alkaline

Now then Doddsy, this is what the pinpoint ajustment looks like, figure 4,post-24513-1233834699_thumb.jpg, some people say its a bit fiddly to use, I have'nt found this to be a problem, so to save those people some grief, because we are out there to enjoy our selves eh! this is how I hold mine, figure 5,post-24513-1233834730.jpg As you can see from the pic I use my middle finger to ajust the pinpoint knob, for the lads, thats the finger you use to tickle your girlfriend with, and for the lasses, its the one you tickle your self with, using the knob in search mode, anti-clockwise to widen your search and clockwise to narrow it.

• Like 1